Multiple 40 Series GPUs in one Computer

Budget (including currency): NA

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Maya, 3ds Max, Blender, DaVinci Resolve

Other details: I work at a University and the animation department is wanting to upgrade their two render machines whose sole duty is rendering large animation projects as quickly as possible. They currently have a computer with 3 1080 Ti's and another with 2 2080 Ti's. They are excited about the new 40 series and the performance upgrade and they asked me if it was possible to upgrade to 3 4080s or 4090s for each system. From what I gathered, the cards are physically too large for the case to accommodate three 3-slot cards, but I am wondering now if even with a 1600w PSU you would be able to power two 4080s, let alone two 4090s. 

My question is, are reliable PSUs with greater than 1600 watts available? If not, is it possible to run two PSUs in one system, and what would the complications be with doing so? With the 4080 minimum being 750w and the 4090 850w, would it be possible to run two 4080s on one 1600w PSU with only about 100w of headroom for the CPU and everything else? Thank you!

looking simply at the cost of 2 4080s and their perfomance drop from the 4090 your best soultion is actually a single 4090. cheaper and fast.

A multi-rail 1400W+ unit should be plenty for 2 4090s. When you get to 3 cards that's when it gets touchy and you might want to go for a separate power supply for the third card.

So, what you're seeing is that limitation of standard electrical circuits.

Standard 110V Circuits are 20A, so a 1600W PSU is about 15 of 20A.  (And pulling more than that is risky due to wiring, or breaker potential issues.)

The only way to get 2K+ Watt PSUs is to wire them to a 200V Circuit.  At that point, yes, they exist.  (See the super sketchy 3400W PSU LTT Reviewed a while ago.  But don't buy it.)

5 minutes ago, fredthelifeguard said:

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Maya, 3ds Max, Blender, DaVinci Resolve

Other details: I work at a University and the animation department is wanting to upgrade their two render machines whose sole duty is rendering large animation projects as quickly as possible. They currently have a computer with 3 1080 Ti's and another with 2 2080 Ti's. They are excited about the new 40 series and the performance upgrade and they asked me if it was possible to upgrade to 3 4080s or 4090s for each system. From what I gathered, the cards are physically too large for the case to accommodate three 3-slot cards, but I am wondering now if even with a 1600w PSU you would be able to power two 4080s, let alone two 4090s. 

My question is, are reliable PSUs with greater than 1600 watts available? If not, is it possible to run two PSUs in one system, and what would the complications be with doing so? With the 4080 minimum being 750w and the 4090 850w, would it be possible to run two 4080s on one 1600w PSU with only about 100w of headroom for the CPU and everything else? Thank you!

two gpus for the 40 series aren't going to benefit as much as one. Better to go with one 4090

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

Just now, filpo said:

two gpus for the 40 series aren't going to benefit as much as one. Better to go with one 4090

op isnt talking about SLI. 

10 minutes ago, fredthelifeguard said:

o run two 4080s on one 1600w PSU with only about 100w

3 minutes ago, starsmine said:

op isnt talking about SLI. 

ye but still 2 gpus

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

7 minutes ago, filpo said:

you sure?

Im sure. The work OP is talking about is asynchronous. a second GPU, assuming CPU can feed both (it can) will close to half the seconds per frame/halve the total render time. We are not talking about real time here. We are not talking about real time here. One GPU does not care when the other GPU finishes a frame. it just moves on to the next frame the CPU sends it. 

Think toy story the movie, not toy story the game. 

10 minutes ago, fredthelifeguard said:

The thermaltake 1650W comes with two 12VHPWR 600W capable connections, though I had a QC issue with mine and returned it. Ended up with the Seasonic Vertex 1200W. 

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

So from the replies I am seeing here, it would be possible to run 2 4080s off of a single 1600w PSU but not recommended, because the performance gains from one 4090 would be minimal and would decrease system stability?

6 minutes ago, fredthelifeguard said:

So from the replies I am seeing here, it would be possible to run 2 4080s off of a single 1600w PSU but not recommended, because the performance gains from one 4090 would be minimal and would decrease system stability?

honestly, I would be more worried about the circuit/breaker you plug it into then not being able to run it safely off of one quality 1500-1600W PSU. I wouldnt worry about the PC at all. 

6 minutes ago, fredthelifeguard said:

The problem with these forums is that you’ll get a lot more of a gamer sense in answers. In games, no it doesn’t make sense. 
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/1-7x-nvidia-geforce-rtx-4090-gpu-scaling/

4090s scale pretty well for normal workstation apps. I would probably stop at 2 but would be comfortable on a good power supply with it. Note they use total system power including a 5995x. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

45 minutes ago, fredthelifeguard said:

With the 4080 minimum being 750w and the 4090 850w,

Total graphics power of an RTX 4090 is 450W. A system with two RTX 4090 would require 900W plus whatever is required to power the rest of the system.

As noted in the footnotes of the Nvidia specs, the 750W / 850W "Minimum is based on a PC configured with a Ryzen 9 5900X processor. Power requirements can be different depending on system configuration."

There are desktop motherboards that can support two 3-slot wide GPU offering offering 8 CPU PCIe 4.0 lanes each. Asus for example has the ProArt Z790 Creator and ProArt X670E Creator.

If you use pcpartpicker to create such a system you should find that a 1400W PSU is sufficient.

Using liquid cooled GPU would eliminate any concern with fitting two RTX 4xxx on an ATX motherboard.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

36 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

The problem with these forums is that you’ll get a lot more of a gamer sense in answers. In games, no it doesn’t make sense. 
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/1-7x-nvidia-geforce-rtx-4090-gpu-scaling/

4090s scale pretty well for normal workstation apps. I would probably stop at 2 but would be comfortable on a good power supply with it. Note they use total system power including a 5995x. 

the important graph for others in here 

1-7x NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 GPU Idle and Load Power Draw

2 hours ago, starsmine said:

the important graph for others in here

Im not even a gamer and i get this. Being able to get more parallel compute units are more paramount in all of these apps but resolve. I agreed with 2 4080 but like yeah, the biggest issue is the fact that youre really limited to that 1600W on 120V power on most breaker. Youre going to need to consider installing an entire circuit just for that PC alone or even going for europe standard which is insanely hard to get installed by most US electric companies AFAIK.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.