How do I use my 32 GB mSATA SSD?

HighResolution

So I have an old laptop from 2012-2013, which I upgraded to 8 GBs of RAM several years ago. The HDD broke in 2020 and I discovered it had a 32 GB SSD on it so I installed Ubuntu on it, but now I'm going to buy a 480 GB BX500 SSD so my parents can use it for their general work. My question is what do I do with the 32 GB mSATA SSD when the 480 GB SSD arrives? Do I format it and use it as an SSD cache? (from what I've heard from old sources from 2013) or just install Windows 10 on it?

2 minutes ago, HighResolution said:

So I have an old laptop from 2012-2013, which I upgraded to 8 GBs of RAM several years ago. The HDD broke in 2020 and I discovered it had a 32 GB SSD on it so I installed Ubuntu on it, but now I'm going to buy a 480 GB BX500 SSD so my parents can use it for their general work. My question is what do I do with the 32 GB mSATA SSD when the 480 GB SSD arrives? Do I format it and use it as an SSD cache? (from what I've heard from old sources from 2013) or just install Windows 10 on it?

Honestly, put it in a drawer. It's too old and small to be of any real use.

Small mSATA's are usually used as Cache with a standard spinner HDD. 

You can use it as Cache with a SATA too, but you may not see that much of a performance boost 

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on any volunteer's post to thank them if they helped .(lower left, just to the right of My Computer )

18 minutes ago, HighResolution said:

Do I format it and use it as an SSD cache?

It's probably not worth it if you have a "real" SSD in the Laptop as well. Might be nice to have as a backup drive if the main SSD fails or to use in another computer, but the cost of an adapter would likely be more than a new drive with WAY more capacity.

Trans Rights!
Please tag me or use the "reply" function so I get a notification

I will find your Laptop thread and I will recommend an ITX build instead

Sure would be neat if there was something useful here, eh?

On 3/26/2023 at 1:51 AM, HighResolution said:

i use simillar cheap small ssds as boot drives for my pfsense router (16g sata), you could use it for some home server running some flavor of linux on another host

CCNP | Windows Admin | 2011 Audi A4 2.0t | i7 7820x @5ghz | 60tb 2 node vSAN