Seagate SkyHawk 1TB HDD vs WD Green 1TB SSD for CCTV DVR

bizzehdee

Hi,

I have a CCTV DVR box right now and it came with a Seagate SkyHawk 1TB HDD built into it (specific Surveillance 24x7 HDD), it currently has 6 cameras writing 1080p video to it, 27/7. When i want to review something from any of the cameras, the seeking around the video is absolutely horrible, both over the network and directly on the device.

Would i see any benefit from replacing the HDD with an SSD? and a regular cheapo no-dram cache SSD at that, which as the WD Green Gen4 which is at a similar price point to the drives that are supplied in these CCTV DVRs.

Would the WD SSD be able to hold up to being written to 27/7, would it be expected to last a reasonably expected timeline for any given SSD (5 years?) ? Would the SSD improve seek times in when playing back the streams, while the drive is stil actively being written to? Would there be any downsides to switching out the HDD for an SSD?

An SSD is probably one of the worst options for CCTV systems. SSDs really do not want to be writing any amount of data constantly. Surveillance HDDs are the only thing you should be using in this workload.

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

How many GB a day are you writing to the hdd? You get some issues with drive endurance.

I wouldn't get a super low end drive like a wd green as the write speeds on those are pretty awful, possible worse than the hdd you have now.

Try pausing the recording of the cameras, if the performance issue is fixed, then a faster drive should help. Could also be limited by the processor inside the box though

A SSD could work, but one of those enterprise ones with petabytes of endurance.

1080p .. let's say 4-5 mbps or around half a megabyte per second, that's 30 MB per minute, 2 GB per hour, 48 GB per day per camera... 6 cameras x 48 GB = 300 GB day.

Samsung PM893 3.84 TB drive  ( $320 here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/284390097507 ) is rated for 7008 TB  so you could write 500 GB a day for 15000 days or 41 years, in theory.

Even the 960 GB version - $150 here, new, factory sealed : https://www.ebay.com/itm/334512779947 -  is rated for 1752 TB  .. that's 3500 days or nearly 10 years with 500 GB writes daily.

Anyway... the Green series is not particularly optimized for seek times so it's normal it's seeking like crazy and giving poor performance when reading and writing at same time. Drives with big caches (128-256 MB) may help a bit but not much.

If you want to stay with mechanical drives, maybe see WD Purple or a NAS grade drive, but CMR based (WD Red Plus for example)

So in short, dont use a cheap SSD, and just deal with the stuttery seeking for now, because its not worth £150 for an enterprise or NAS grade SSD for a simple home cctv system?

5 minutes ago, bizzehdee said:

So in short, dont use a cheap SSD, and just deal with the stuttery seeking for now, because its not worth £150 for an enterprise or NAS grade SSD for a simple home cctv system?

Up to you.

It's like insurance ... how happy will you be that you spent 150 dollars when someone breaks into your house or something happens and you need the recording?

$150 divided by 5 years, divided by 12 months = $2.5 a month.

Another note... I personally wouldn't use a hard drive for something this important for longer than its warranty, and periodically check the SMART info even then... I think the WD Green is warrantied for 2 years, and other cheap drives are also rated 2-3 years.