Thermal paste i don't know what to get

anton4277
Go to solution Solved by _Omega_,
3 hours ago, Poinkachu said:

IPA + paper towel

I mostly use high concentration of IPA, so that it contains less water. Evaporates real fast.

Don't use non disposable fabric, unless you really intend to dispose it afterward. The paste that sticks to the fabric is quite hard to remove.

MX-4 is cheap and good, if you already have MX-6 then it's good too.
Difference between MX-4 and something like Noctua NT-H1 is most often 1-2 degrees, same goes for MX-6 and NT-H2 or other paste.
Going really expensive paste like Kingpin's or such is pretty much overkill for your CPU in my opinion.

I cooled my 5600x back then using NT-h1 and a Hyper212. I had a leftover NT-H1, if I didn't I'd just get an MX-4.

where i live you pay just 1,5 € more for mx-6 (over mx-4) so id go for mx-6 just because its not much 

Hello anyone seeing this post

for about 1,5 years i have been using a stock amd cooler with preaplied paste for my 5600x 

but about 3 months ago my little brothers cpu died (he have the same parts, build the same time too)

and yesterday i tried something along the same as he described when he's died. i then took my pc apart and got it to work again but when i took the cooler of my cpu

the thermal paste was very flakey so i would like if you guys could recommend some paste i would like more than one for different options (no budget for it)

i have looked at mx-6 kryonaut and kryonaut extreme.

i also think i might upgrade cooler to a 280 liquid in not long

Thansk alot in advance

11 minutes ago, anton4277 said:

Hello anyone seeing this post

for about 1,5 years i have been using a stock amd cooler with preaplied paste for my 5600x 

but about 3 months ago my little brothers cpu died (he have the same parts, build the same time too)

and yesterday i tried something along the same as he described when he's died. i then took my pc apart and got it to work again but when i took the cooler of my cpu

the thermal paste was very flakey so i would like if you guys could recommend some paste i would like more than one for different options (no budget for it)

i have looked at mx-6 kryonaut and kryonaut extreme.

i also think i might upgrade cooler to a 280 liquid in not long

Thansk alot in advance

Expensive thermal pastes don't actually make sense (give noticeable performance improvements) on anything but super high end hardware or in cases of extreme overclocking. Just get something cheap.

Also, watercooling a 5600X is a waste. It really dosn't need it. A half decent tower cooler is more than enough. (Edited to add: if your gonna overclock it then different story but I don't recommend overclocking these days).

Finally, if you are getting a new cooler, check if it comes with thermal paste cause lots do. No point buying paste if the cooler already comes with some.

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

2 minutes ago, will0hlep said:

Also, watercooling a 5600X is a waste. It really dosn't need it. A half decent tower cooler is more than enough.

I´ll get my 5600 to over 80 °C even with a 360 AiO, its just a question of the OC 😉

1 minute ago, _Omega_ said:

I´ll get my 5600 to over 80 °C even with a 360 AiO, its just a question of the OC 😉

I've edited my message to reflect your point

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

7 minutes ago, will0hlep said:

I've edited my message to reflect your point

i know a tower cooler is more than enough but i don't like the look of them plus it's more future secure also i like overkill 

and we all know you can't get enough colling

should i get the cleaning pack too or just use rubbing alcohol and a normal glasses wipe

Edited by anton4277

7 minutes ago, anton4277 said:

i know a tower cooler is more than enough but i don't like the look of them plus it's more future secure also i like overkill 

and we all know you can't get enough colling

I mean, you can get enough cooling. If your PC never thermal throttles you have enough cooling. Getting more after this will have a negitive effect, just on your wallet instead of your PC.

It's also not more reliable or future proof. An AIO has far more points of failure than a tower cooler and introducing points of failure for no reason is not a good thing to do.

I can't argue with the looks arguement cause it's subjective, but kind in mind, your spending money on looks instead of performance (or just saving it for something unrelated like some new games).

He/Him

23 minutes ago, _Omega_ said:

MX-6, its good and quite cheap

should i get the cleaning pack too or just use rubbing alcohol and a normal glasses wipe

1 hour ago, anton4277 said:

IPA + paper towel

I mostly use high concentration of IPA, so that it contains less water. Evaporates real fast.

Don't use non disposable fabric, unless you really intend to dispose it afterward. The paste that sticks to the fabric is quite hard to remove.

Difference between MX-4 and something like Noctua NT-H1 is most often 1-2 degrees, same goes for MX-6 and NT-H2 or other paste.
Going really expensive paste like Kingpin's or such is pretty much overkill for your CPU in my opinion.

I cooled my 5600x back then using NT-h1 and a Hyper212. I had a leftover NT-H1, if I didn't I'd just get an MX-4.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

4 hours ago, anton4277 said:

not get the cleaner, alcohol and some cloth is fine... even something like window cleaner works...

3 hours ago, Poinkachu said:

IPA + paper towel

where i live you pay just 1,5 € more for mx-6 (over mx-4) so id go for mx-6 just because its not much 

1 hour ago, _Omega_ said:

thansk guys the mx4 mx5 and mx6 cost almost the same so doesnt matter for me

also is 93% alcohol fine its the best i can find that is not 30€ only about 5€

edit i have heard that i can use a coffee filter as a cloth

Edited by anton4277

3 minutes ago, anton4277 said:

thansk guys the mx4 mx5 and mx6 cost almost the same so doesnt matter for me

also is 93% alcohol fine its the best i can find that is not 30€ only about 5€

edit i have heard that i can use a coffee filter as a cloth

You can do that as well, i use paper tissues and what ever solvent i have on hand 93 % is more than fine. I have used 96 % ethanol, iso-propanol, window cleaner, acetone i once even used ethyl acetate. Coffee filter works a bit better to remove the bulk but its a bit hard to clean of the last spots with it 

7 minutes ago, _Omega_ said:

You can do that as well, i use paper tissues and what ever solvent i have on hand 93 % is more than fine. I have used 96 % ethanol, iso-propanol, window cleaner, acetone i once even used ethyl acetate. Coffee filter works a bit better to remove the bulk but its a bit hard to clean of the last spots with it 

thansk alot man i can use both a filter, paper towels and or some cotten swaps

The thermal paste that blew my mind from the ones i've tested is the KPX made by KingPin, got something like 10c lower temps during cinebench R23 multicore run 🙂

1 hour ago, noob0saur said:

The thermal paste that blew my mind from the ones i've tested is the KPX made by KingPin, got something like 10c lower temps during cinebench R23 multicore run 🙂

Better than thermal grizzly non metal stuff?

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

11 minutes ago, Benji_w said:

Better than thermal grizzly non metal stuff?

The only one i tested from thermal grizzly was the Aeronaut & yes it's quiet better, i discovered the KPX through JayzTwoCents & according to him the new Kryonaut Extreme seems to outperform it (litterally what he said) 🙂

On 3/25/2023 at 12:02 PM, will0hlep said:

I mean, you can get enough cooling. If your PC never thermal throttles you have enough cooling. Getting more after this will have a negitive effect, just on your wallet instead of your PC.

I agree with the OP on this. Max cooling is best. However, I agree that it's gonna hurt the wallet, both on extra purchases and monthly power bills.

It's also not more reliable or future proof. An AIO has far more points of failure than a tower cooler and introducing points of failure for no reason is not a good thing to do.

I agree. 

I can't argue with the looks arguement cause it's subjective, but kind in mind, your spending money on looks instead of performance (or just saving it for something unrelated like some new games).

Agreed. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂