4070Ti performing worse than GTX1060

Go to solution Solved by svemal,

I figured it out. I manually set the PCIe slot to gen 3 mode in my bios (i have a gen 3 pcie extension cable). I thought i had done that already, but apperantly not. That fixed it. 馃槃聽Damn i feel dumb now

Since 2016 I've been using a rig with a GTX1060, and it has been showing it's age.

Yesterday was finally the day for an upgrade.

I built a mini-ITX with a 4070Ti (full specs below) and was confused as hell when I booted up CSGO and got less FPS than even integrated graphics would have given me.

It wasn't just specific to CSGO either. The 3DMark Timespy benchmark ran at around 2-3 fps. It was so bad too look at I aborted it.

I swapped out the 4070Ti for my old GTX1060 and went from 60FPS in CSGO, to around 300.

Something is definetly either wrong with my 4070Ti, or something is holding it back.

I have installed the latest drivers from geforce experience.

I've tried using both PSU outputs that powered the 4070 to run the 1060, to see if it might be a PSU problem. The 1060 ran fine off both PSU ports.

When I use the 4070 and have MSI afterburner or HWMonitor up to try and identify issues, the clockspeed never goes above 840MHz.

That's obviously an issue but could something other than the GPU being faulty be the cause of that?

I'm kinda expecting that you guys will tell me to RMA my card, but I just want to hear if anyone has any ideas of the cause so I don't

have to go through the RMA process and end up having the same problem with a replacement card.

Specs:

CPU: Intel i5-13600KF
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 4070 Ti Eagle OC
MOBO: ROG Strix B760-I Gaming WIFI
RAM: 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast RGB DDR5-5600 C36 DC
SSD1: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB
SSD2: Crucial P3 2TB
PSU: Cooler Master V850 SFX

The only thing I can think of are temps (unlikely) or some sort of driver issue. How much fresh air is the card getting, and did you use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) in Safe Mode before installing the new drivers?

Trans Rights!
Please tag me or use the "reply" function so I get a notification

I will find your Laptop thread and I will recommend an ITX build instead

Sure would be neat if there was something useful here, eh?

I figured it out. I manually set the PCIe slot to gen 3 mode in my bios (i have a gen 3 pcie extension cable). I thought i had done that already, but apperantly not. That fixed it. 馃槃聽Damn i feel dumb now