PC Won't boot after power flicker

micromashor
Go to solution Solved by Harmsway1283,
9 minutes ago, micromashor said:

Cooler Master AIO with 240mm rad

Have you checked if the pump has stopped working? Your CPU could be overheating, causing these shutdowns.

Earlier tonight, we had the power flicker several times, and my PC is not on a UPS. The power flickers didn't seem to do anything at first. Later, my PC suddenly and immediately shut down with no warning (hard stop). I turned off the power, let it sit for about 10 minutes, then made 3 attempts to start it back up:

1. The monitors came on (but still black), stayed that way for about 20 seconds, and then another hard stop.
  2. The system booted and was functioning normally, but I noticed the fans were running a lot higher than idle due to high CPU usage - when I tried to see what was causing the high CPU usage, I got another hard stop.
  3. On any subsequent boot attempts, it did the same as the first attempt.

I began investigating and made a few more attempts to boot it, and the first time, the BOOT motherboard light was on, so I shut down and cleared CMOS, and on the next boot, the VGA motherboard light was on - nothing ever appeared on the monitor.

System info:

• Ubuntu 22.04 amd64
  • Ryzen 7 2700x
  • 32GB Corsair DDR4-3200
  • MSI GTX 1660Ti
    • (2) 1080p monitors connected with HDMI and DP
  • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max Motherboard
    • I don't recall ever updating the BIOS, but I built this PC in December 2019, so my memory's a little foggy.
  • Corsair 1TB NVMe SSD
  • EVGA 80+ 850W PSU

Software running at initial crash: Chrome, VSCode, Spotify, Discord

This system has been stable since my last modification when I added 2 more identical sticks to double RAM from 16 to 32 GB in June 2021.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

---
Edit: I have never done any overclocking beyond increasing the memory clock to the standard 3200MHz

Try removing the CMOS battery, and removing the power cable from your PC & click your power button 10 or so times. Put the battery back in and turn your pc on.

20 minutes ago, Josh B said:

Try removing the CMOS battery, and removing the power cable from your PC & click your power button 10 or so times. Put the battery back in and turn your pc on.

Just did that, didn't seem to have any effect 😕

Update: I have been able to get the PC to boot into the OS, but I am still experiencing random shutdowns.

Could the PSU be damaged as a result of the power fluctuations, causing it to shutdown when something draws a lot of power?

Would appreciate any thoughts on the matter.

Replaced PSU, now it won't power on at all. Still powers up with the OG PSU. Ugh.

PSU had a bent pin, fixed it and the system powered up but still hard stopped shortly after. I guess it's the motherboard then.

5 minutes ago, Harmsway1283 said:

What kind of CpU cooler do you have?

9 minutes ago, micromashor said:

Have you checked if the pump has stopped working? Your CPU could be overheating, causing these shutdowns.

12 minutes ago, Harmsway1283 said:

Good idea - I'll check that once I get my replacement mobo installed (already halfway through the swap). Last time I was in the BIOS, it showed the pump operating at a normal RPM, but I have not checked it since this issue started.

1 hour ago, Harmsway1283 said:

Just tested the water pump, and it's completely dead. I have a spare air cooler on hand, I'll install it and see if it fixes things.

5 hours ago, micromashor said:

Yep - water pump was dead. Installed air cooler and it works. Thanks again @Harmsway1283!

Cheers! Glad it’s not a bigger problem.