Pebble founder Eric Migicovsky is working on a small Android phone project

Antrikshy

Summary

After collecting signatures on a petition for small Android phones, Migicovsky has put together a team of designers to produce a small phone as a "community-based project". Here, small refers to a sub-6.1-inch display. They spoke with The Verge, and we have some info about the project, including these camera lens design prototypes (attached).

Quotes

The article has quite a lot of info. Here are some key points from all throughout. It has mentions of sourcing camera software, materials being considered etc.

The Small Android Phone team — it’s not a company, yet — has been doing a lot of planning right under our noses. In a small Discord, they’ve quietly revealed their efforts to source a display, choose a chip, and design the body of the phone. They’ve even discussed how they might pay for it all. Diehard small phone enthusiasts are invited to give feedback at every step of the process as the team attempts to bend the phone market to their will.

When we revealed how much we’d already learned about the project, Ben Bryant, one of the team leaders, was willing to hop on a call. 
During one of those presentations, De Stasio laid out an idea of what the phone will look like: it’ll be small — obviously — and will feature a distinctive camera. “A lot of my sketching focuses on the camera bump,” he said on a design call. “This has a huge impact on the visual icon of the phone, so I wanted to spend some extra time on it to make sure it’s very uniquely recognizable and very iconic.”

As for the camera’s specs, Bryant says the goal is to “take good photos, which means it’s not a 100-megapixel sensor.” Instead, the main camera will probably be closer to 50MP.
The rest of the phone’s body should be, in De Stasio’s words, “a nice soft slab that’s very high quality, very nicely put together, very solid feeling, and that just has very soft details that feel really nice on your fingers.”

As for how much it’ll cost, Bryant has been preparing the community for what could be an $850 price tag, even though a phone from an established manufacturer with similar specs and a more standard form factor would be closer to $650-700. (The iPhone 13 Mini started at $729 when it was new, but now Apple sells it for $599.) That price isn’t final — Bryant says it’ll depend on a lot of factors, including negotiations with the manufacturer, but it’s a real possibility.

My thoughts

Phones aren't much more than a convenient look to look up quick info, call rides etc. I don't spend hours a day doing stuff on my phone. Most of my video watching happens on TVs and my other everyday computing tends to happen on larger displays. So I'm a huge fan of smaller phones. I absolutely love the iPhone mini form factor (I have a 12 mini right now); so much that upgrading to current gen would actively be an inconvenience for me.

At the moment, I'm holding out for that form factor to return, perhaps in an SE model. If that happens within the next 2 years, I'll jump on that and take good care of it. If it doesn't, switching to an Android phone wouldn't be completely out the question. That one small Zenfone looks real attractive. If this project turns out decent, it looks real enticing!

Sources

"Pebble might be coming back — as a small Android phone" - The Verge

(It's an exclusive)

image.png

Very low Expectations. I just dont see it getting very far. Snapdragon stuff isnt gonna get cheaper, If they buy the budget chipset and such and make a 200-400$ phone, theres already a decent market in that range. Who is going to want to trust a brand new device with no track record for parts and reparability. Samsung phones have gotten less and less repairable, not to mention the issues theyve been having for a few years. 

Generally these phones almost always end up being 1-3 year flings, get bought out or bankrupt. Theres so many phones in this range that are just Meh. Used phones are also in that range.

Personally, form factor trumps most other things. Software experience is really the only thing that's more important to me. But yeah, I'm guessing there aren't very many people like me out there considering iPhone mini went away after 2 years.

If he can convince people that small phones are great (because they are), power to him.

But he won't. 

32 minutes ago, Antrikshy said:

Phones aren't much more than a convenient look to look up quick info, call rides etc. I don't spend hours a day doing stuff on my phone. Most of my video watching happens on TVs and my other everyday computing tends to happen on larger displays. So I'm a huge fan of smaller phones.

As you say OP, Apple have tried to appease these people with mini and SE lineup and theyre getting burnt for the former. SE made mad cash is because its basically a frame reuse so they dont need to test for ergonomics, regulations, or fittings anymore. And of course, everyone loves budget iphone.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Eh this won't go far. Very very few handset startups do. Look at Essential, and they actually made a beautiful, compelling device. 

The problem is they're basically stuck catering to the enthusiasts, or people really into tech, and they generally are far more picky about OS updates etc, which is hard for a small team. They could team with someone like Lineage, but that hasn't fared well in the past either. 

This will sit around as a well thought out business plan for a few months, then we'll hear that there wasn't enough interest to 1) meet reasonable pricing and 2) get reasonable pricing on decent components. 

IMO if you want a small Android phone there's already options that will be far better. 

49 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Very low Expectations. I just dont see it getting very far. Snapdragon stuff isnt gonna get cheaper, If they buy the budget chipset and such and make a 200-400$ phone, theres already a decent market in that range. Who is going to want to trust a brand new device with no track record for parts and reparability. Samsung phones have gotten less and less repairable, not to mention the issues theyve been having for a few years. 

Generally these phones almost always end up being 1-3 year flings, get bought out or bankrupt. Theres so many phones in this range that are just Meh. Used phones are also in that range.

Eh I don't think repairability is high on most people's lists of concerns when picking a handset. IMO just invest in a $20 case and treat your multiple hundred dollar device with care. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

17 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Eh I don't think repairability is high on most people's lists of concerns when picking a handset. IMO just invest in a $20 case and treat your multiple hundred dollar device with care

I do always look for battery replacement ease because my phones tend to last 6years + usually.

Defo second a good case and a cheap multipack of screen protectors.

Saved my phone many times this way and only replaced it after being in 3 car accidents 😛

4 minutes ago, jaslion said:

I do always look for battery replacement ease because my phones tend to last 6years + usually.

Defo second a good case and a cheap multipack of screen protectors.

Saved my phone many times this way and only replaced it after being in 3 car accidents 😛

You're in a minority my friend 😉

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

It has to be as small as a foldable if they want to appeal.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

6 minutes ago, dizmo said:

You're in a minority my friend 😉

Oh I know I am. Dont agree with current trends at all so either I look for something that doesnr follow em or I ignore it and stubbornly keep usin my old stuff and forget about it 😛

15 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Oh I know I am. Dont agree with current trends at all so either I look for something that doesnr follow em or I ignore it and stubbornly keep usin my old stuff and forget about it 😛

Current trend of? 

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

I love my 12 mini honestly. Dont need a bigger phone.

That said Noooo Pebble. When no one replaced you in the smart watch industry its just been lacking. The only smart watch I had any interest in WAS the pebble. 

It doesn't have to be powerful, fast or last 3 weeks on a charge, but if it can do the basics, is sturdy/solid and has even a modicum of privacy in it's chosen rom, then I will be keenly interested.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

They should bring back the Pebble Watch instead.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

Light Phone 2 already exists. And if it did 5g I'd be all over it. As it stands, making a phone "smaller" I don't think it going to get much traction, but what do I know, I still pine for a physical keyboard on my cellphone

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I just want an updated iphone 4. Same wight and size. It was perfect imo.