Sata to PCIe real?

TheOtherOne7107

So I was just given a GTX 1060 3GB from a friend of mine and was thinking about putting it in another one of my computers. But upon further inspection i found that the computer didn't have any PCIe power. Just some spare SATA power connectors, then I found this on amazon. Would that even work? Just adapting SATA to PCIe? If not, is there any other way for me to get PCIe power?

It does work, although it is not recommended, as SATA is only rated to provide 54W, while the PCIe 6 pin is rated for 75W. You'll notice that 54 < 75.

Additionally, PSUs without PCIe connectors tend to be very low wattage, so you might overload the PSU - best case, the protections on the PSU work well and your PC just shuts off, worse case, your house burns down in the resulting fire.

What PSU is this and what are the rest of the system specs?

yeah it's real sata has 12V connections, don't do it tho.

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

pci-e 6 pins are rated for 150W or 225W depending on who you ask actually.

the 1060 consumes like 125w at most apparently.

Do keep in mind the slot provides 75W but the card might be configured to pull less from the slot. 
A good bet is the card pulling 50w from slot and 75 from the power input. 

Does the card have two power in holes? 
these spare sata cables, do you by chance have two strings of them which follow back to the psu in two separate bundles of wire?
if the card has two inputs and you have two cables, I'd say you should be safe with two adapters, any less is ehh try it and see, you're not gonna start a fire or anything with this kind of load. 

15 minutes ago, OhYou_ said:

There is no "who you ask" to it, its rated for 150W, that is the official spec.  It does have a safety margin so can handle an overload to around 216W (8 pin around 288W) without melting but this is not expected to happen in normal use for more than a second or two.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

except there is a discrepancy. the spec is 150w because the center yellow is not a current carrying wire. 
every power supply manufacturer since 2004 has ignored that and just provided you with three +12v and three ground. the spec more pertains to the connector itself on the receiving end, so I dont think gpu manufacturers take advantage of this, but they should. 
At least you the end user can get 225w from it by using a 6 pin to 8 pin with no worries.

4 minutes ago, OhYou_ said:

except there is a discrepancy. the spec is 150w because the center yellow is not a current carrying wire. 
every power supply manufacturer since 2004 has ignored that and just provided you with three +12v and three ground. the spec more pertains to the connector itself on the receiving end, so I dont think gpu manufacturers take advantage of this, but they should. 
At least you the end user can get 225w from it by using a 6 pin to 8 pin with no worries.

Its not that simple as like you said its a none-standard usage and you should not assume that's how its going to work, especially as there are no guarantees the load is even across all pins.

You'd have to know for certain the GPU has its 6 pin wired with all pins.

The reason the PSU manufacturers ignored it is most are using 6+2 connectors, so it HAS to be connected in case you are using it in the 8 pin configuration.  A GPU with a single 6 pin on the other hand may follow the spec.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

15 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

It does work, although it is not recommended, as SATA is only rated to provide 54W, while the PCIe 6 pin is rated for 75W. You'll notice that 54 < 75.

Additionally, PSUs without PCIe connectors tend to be very low wattage, so you might overload the PSU - best case, the protections on the PSU work well and your PC just shuts off, worse case, your house burns down in the resulting fire.

What PSU is this and what are the rest of the system specs?

The PSU is an L265AM-00

CPU - I7-2600

RAM 24GB 1333 MHz

256GB SATA SSD

1TB HDD

But I also just realized that I have another spare PSU, the PS480E12

22 minutes ago, OhYou_ said:

the 1060 consumes like 125w at most apparently.

Do keep in mind the slot provides 75W but the card might be configured to pull less from the slot. 
A good bet is the card pulling 50w from slot and 75 from the power input. 

Does the card have two power in holes? 
these spare sata cables, do you by chance have two strings of them which follow back to the psu in two separate bundles of wire?
if the card has two inputs and you have two cables, I'd say you should be safe with two adapters, any less is ehh try it and see, you're not gonna start a fire or anything with this kind of load. 

The card takes a 6 pin and the PSU has more than enough extra SATA cables

7 minutes ago, TheOtherOne7107 said:

The PSU is an L265AM-00

CPU - I7-2600

RAM 24GB 1333 MHz

256GB SATA SSD

1TB HDD

That second PSU would be a better bet. It's a 480W unit, as opposed to the 265W unit you've got right now. It also has Molex connectors, which are better if you're going to do a conversion. Molex to PCIe adapters are also a thing.

An even better option, if you're willing to spend the money, would be to upgrade your power supply. It might not be a great investment in your current system, but you can always bring a good power supply forward with you to future computers. Although I don't know what sort of a budget you might have for this project.

10 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

That second PSU would be a better bet. It's a 480W unit, as opposed to the 265W unit you've got right now. It also has Molex connectors, which are better if you're going to do a conversion. Molex to PCIe adapters are also a thing.

An even better option, if you're willing to spend the money, would be to upgrade your power supply. It might not be a great investment in your current system, but you can always bring a good power supply forward with you to future computers. Although I don't know what sort of a budget you might have for this project.

No budget. At all. On this computer i have spent a total of $30 on some RAM. Everything else was either given to me because it was broken, it was too old, or just as a gift. Including the graphics card. Though I'll still probably upgrade the power supply this year, buy a new one for my main and and throw the old one in this system.

5 minutes ago, TheOtherOne7107 said:

No budget. At all. On this computer i have spent a total of $30 on some RAM. Everything else was either given to me because it was broken, it was too old, or just as a gift. Including the graphics card. Though I'll still probably upgrade the power supply this year, buy a new one for my main and and throw the old one in this system.

In that case, the 480W unit is probably a safer choice - with just 265W to work with, the 125W the GPU wants is already taking up half of the total available power from the PSU.

Looks like Amazon also has Molex to 6 pin adapters for the same price, and these are dual Molex to 6 pin, so there's plenty of headroom in terms of power delivery: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DV1Z22K

1 hour ago, TheOtherOne7107 said:

1 hour ago, TheOtherOne7107 said:

image.png.3a957359d9c766d8c4731c597cd148c9.png

Do the math, 12V x 16A = 192W... which is absolute ass, you can buy a new ~35A (on 12V rail) PSU for 40$ (sure it might not be one of the "go to brands", but not no-name sh!t either).
This is crap tier PSU you've got on your hands.
And remember that is supposed to feed both your CPU (90W under load) and GPU (120W under load).

It might work... but it also might damage your components or even catch on fire.

Save up for a PSU, start by not wasting 10$ on adapter cables... Or don't leave your PC unsupervised and remember to keep your fingers crossed, maybe a prayer would help also xD.

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

8 hours ago, OhYou_ said:

Actually 6 pin is max 75W and 8 pin is 150W

On 3/25/2023 at 12:35 AM, Winterlight said:

Actually 6 pin is max 75W and 8 pin is 150W

maybe in a hp.