Have been struggling with Disney Plus looking awful on HD,1440p and 4k monitors - found a solution!

Buying the HEVC Video HEVC Video Extensions on the Microsoft store suddenly fixed everything!

And all this time I was questioning why Disney would make all their big budget shows, film them in 4k or greater and only distribute them in 720p.

It's madness Microsoft does not include them in Windows by default and more madness that Disney and Netflix and Amazon Prime don't publish this as a solution or tell you you are being limited.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who has experienced this.

28 minutes ago, rogue6800 said:

It's madness Microsoft does not include them in Windows by default

The HEVC license is not free, so MS can't just include it if they haven't paid for it. Their choice is eat that cost and include it for you, or pass those costs a long to you.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

On 3/24/2023 at 5:35 PM, tikker said:

eat that cost

as one of the 10s of people who paid for a legit windows 10 pro license, I think they can provide it to people who actually paid for a license 😕 they really are just cheaping out

1 hour ago, Redcodi said:

as one of the 10s of people who paid for a legit windows 10 pro license, I think they can provide it to people who actually paid for a license 😕 they really are just cheaping out

That existed until recently. When one of the components in your machine came with a license already you could get the free "HEVC Extensions from Device Manufacturer" . When I checked for this thread that version seems to be completely unavailable now from the store, however. I don't know of another way to get them if you have a license however, so I agree that that is a bit strange.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

On 3/24/2023 at 3:35 PM, tikker said:

The HEVC license is not free, so MS can't just include it if they haven't paid for it. Their choice is eat that cost and include it for you, or pass those costs a long to you.

They sell it for $0.99 so they wouldn't have to eat much of a cost. But shrinkflation seems to be a thing with every company that makes something today.

41 minutes ago, Zomeguy said:

They sell it for $0.99 so they wouldn't have to eat much of a cost. But shrinkflation seems to be a thing with every company that makes something today.

When it's like $150 for a license, eating $1 is actually quite a bit.  Especially when you consider that a lot of people end up with like OEM level licenses which can be less than that.  At which point it would make up for 1% of the cost.  That's actually quite a bit of an issue having 1% of your product cost being burned on a patent license.

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

I Just bought it and it looks fairly better ! Thanks for the tip

Saved media and Streaming is more clear and crisp !

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy

10 hours ago, Zomeguy said:

According to the rates the HEVC license will cost them $0.40 or $0.80 per license. They could increase Window's licence, but then from a sales perspective you lose $0.40-0.80 for every Windows license that remains unsold to the license fee. They probably make a small profit here, but since this equates to half a coffee less once I don't consider this that big of a deal. I do disagree with the device manufacturer version being gone though (if that stays the case), since it is silly to pay for it if your GPU or whatever already came with a license.

Wait, this license is why Disney+ looks like shit on my Odyssey G9 but amazing on my TV. 

You can still download the appxbundle for the HEVC Extensions from Device Manufacturer from multiple other sources and install it that way. Still works just like it always did in the past with no difference. You just have to also have "App Installer" from the MS Store (completely free) to install the bundle once you have it from a source you consider reputable.

• 8 months later...

Hello, I just bought the HEVC but still can't see any upgrade in the visuals. Do I have to enable it somehow? Also are You using any external apps to play videos or just through browser?