3080 thermal issues

Mal707

Dell OEM rtx 3080 turning off after heat issues. The guy who had it before me put .5mm thermal pads on it and I believe this could be the issue if you guys have another ideas lmk the 3080 just powers off after it gets too hot and it's different for every application there is no set time on how long it will function before it turns off 

Pretty much never buy a GPU knowing the previous owner replaced thermal pads and other issues, they are getting rid of that problem by pushing it off to you.

I hope you didnt pay more then 400$ for that GPU.  You can try finding the proper dimensions but other than that, its a OEM Dell GPU, they are pretty awful for cooling.

2 minutes ago, Mal707 said:

Dell OEM rtx 3080 turning off after heat issues. The guy who had it before me put .5mm thermal pads on it and I believe this could be the issue if you guys have another ideas lmk the 3080 just powers off after it gets too hot and it's different for every application there is no set time on how long it will function before it turns off 

What are temps before it shuts off/ memory temp.. you really need to keep an eye on not just the card but memory temps

i have a 3080 aswell and with stock pads and thermal paste and the fact it hasn't been clean. it runs just fine max temp i get while gaming is 75 so you should be looking def

at those pads cause it shouldn't be that hot it can shut off

the 3080 has gddr6x which has a much higher heat limit on the memory and the card itself before it can throttle so something is deff off

aswell as case airflow makes a huge differeance i had my old nzxt h510 with my 3080 and it was getting so hot it was near thermal throttling i bought a airflow cause and 

my temps dropped about 25c 

memory temps near 100c to 80c max

42 minutes ago, Mal707 said:

Mine rtx version 3080 have strange idle fans, not sure why. So i install software for tuning my graphic card and  make fan curves at lower temp to start up. Fans was on idle too much time and start very slow rmp at 400.........   Then my game freeze beacuse it couldn`t run any more. And i got in this shape sold new out of box. gpuz and Overclock program helps me to monitoring, that fans was not responsible. Also when they were they   only start spining at 400 rmp.

54 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Pretty much never buy a GPU knowing the previous owner replaced thermal pads and other issues, they are getting rid of that problem by pushing it off to you.

I hope you didnt pay more then 400$ for that GPU.  You can try finding the proper dimensions but other than that, its a OEM Dell GPU, they are pretty awful for cooling.

Only paid $190 I knew there were problems before I bought it and on ebay they go for more than 250 broke so it's a no risk situation If I can't fix it I make my money back plus some on ebay

On 3/24/2023 at 4:10 PM, Clearviper said:

What are temps before it shuts off/ memory temp.. you really need to keep an eye on not just the card but memory temps

i have a 3080 aswell and with stock pads and thermal paste and the fact it hasn't been clean. it runs just fine max temp i get while gaming is 75 so you should be looking def

at those pads cause it shouldn't be that hot it can shut off

the 3080 has gddr6x which has a much higher heat limit on the memory and the card itself before it can throttle so something is deff off

aswell as case airflow makes a huge differeance i had my old nzxt h510 with my 3080 and it was getting so hot it was near thermal throttling i bought a airflow cause and 

my temps dropped about 25c 

memory temps near 100c to 80c max

It stops when it gets to 52 Celsius 

Most people here aren't going to have experience with the Dell Blower Style 3080s. I have one, and my memory temps were reaching 110c. I pulled the card apart and reapplied thermal paste to the gpu. I added extra in the space around the gpu where the heatsink didn't make contact and it dropped 20c. I left the stock thermal pads and it has done perfectly. You might have a more serious problem with the gpu.

19 hours ago, Mal707 said:

It stops when it gets to 52 Celsius 

Maybe its time to cover it in that thermal paste that Linus loves so much.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

45 minutes ago, Army_of_One said:

Most people here aren't going to have experience with the Dell Blower Style 3080s. I have one, and my memory temps were reaching 110c. I pulled the card apart and reapplied thermal paste to the gpu. I added extra in the space around the gpu where the heatsink didn't make contact and it dropped 20c. I left the stock thermal pads and it has done perfectly. You might have a more serious problem with the gpu.

My my issue is more serious as the card is now stopping at 33 Celsius I just opened steam and start a download and the monitors started flickering and then they went black this is what happens whenever a card has thermal issues My 3060 TI doesn't have this problem and works completely fine with these monitors I've never had a problem so I know it's not them