After a brief and unstable OC with MSI afterburner, I can not get my 3080 ti to revert to stock settings.

I installed afterburner on my new machine recently. I7-13700k and rtx 3080 ti founders edition. This machine ran fine for months until I tried to OC the graphics card with afterburner. I ended up turning the core clock up to like 2000 and the memory only about a +200 boost. I adjusted the curve manually and somehow made it unstable.

No big deal I would just revert the changes.. but before I realized I had an issue. I went into CCleaner and cleaned the registry. I don't know if that is relevant, but now I can not get my gpu stable. I have tried everything I can think of: I have even changed out the motherboard and power supply (thought it may be cpu but am certain now its the gpu); I have reinstalled windows.

I am watching the clock speeds for the card on HWinfo and it still wants to boost to the OC I set before all the troubleshooting. 

I Uninstalled afterburner and my gpu drivers with display driver Uninstaller via safe mode, but the issue persists.

I have no idea what to do, any suggestions, please?

7 minutes ago, Bloodmoore said:

No big deal I would just revert the changes.. but before I realized I had an issue.

Which issue ?

I'm willing to swim against the current.

12 minutes ago, leclod said:

Which issue ?

It's unstable, games will run for a minute just fine and then I get huge frame dips and it crashes. Also I am getting loads of coil whine under load and I never used to get any. It all started with the OC in afterburner.

16 minutes ago, Madsyrn said:

Try installing afterburner again.

I installed afterburner again and it still shows the oc speeds which I set that were unstable.

6 minutes ago, Bloodmoore said:

It's unstable, games will run for a minute just fine and then I get huge frame dips and it crashes. Also I am getting loads of coil whine under load and I never used to get any. It all started with the OC in afterburner.

At stock speeds ?

Edit : ok, it still tries to reach higher

Just to be sure, you pressed Reset and Apply ?

Edited by leclod

Uninstall afterburner, ddu the drivers and reinstall.

Main Rig:

Ryzen 5800x, ASUS Crosshair Hero VII Wi-Fi, 32gb of Corsair Vengence Pro SL 3600 CL18, MSI Ventus 2 OC RTX 3060 12gb, Corsair H115i Pro AIO cooler, Soundblaster AE-7, Beyerdynamic DT 990 Edition 600Ohm headphones, Creative Giga Speakers, 1tb ADATA SX8200 NVME SSD, 1tb Intel 665P NVME SSD, 500gb Samsung 850 EVO SATA SSD, 8tb WB Black SATA HDD, LG SATA Blue Ray Drive, Corsair CX850M PSU, Coolermaster Stryker case, ROG ARGB strips, China ARGB fans, China ARGB SSD heat sink. 🤣

HTPC:

Erying 11800 ES CPU/Mobo combo, 32GB of Corsair LPX 3200 CL16, Gigabyte 4060 8gb LP, Thermalright AXP90 full copper cooler, WD Black SN770 500gb NVME SSD, WD Black SN770 1tb NVME SSD, Crucial MX500 2tb SATA SSD, WD Blue 2tb SATA HDD, Pioneer Blu-Ray burner, Intel AX200 WiFi/Bluetooth, Seasonic 300w TFX PSU, Silverstone ML11 case. STILL NO RGB! 😭

Retro Gamer PC:

VIA C3 1000Mhz, VIA Epia PD-10000 LVDS, 1gb of Kingston DDR, PNY Geforce FX5500 128mb PCI, WD 80GB HDD, Random CD-ROM, Random 250w mini psu, Mini ITX case 🤣

14 minutes ago, leclod said:

At stock speeds ?

Yeah I have tried resetting it, dialing It back, Uninstaller the program, Uninstaller drivers, reininstalled drivers, changed out the motherboard, changed out the psu, reinstalled windows. I can't get the dang thing back to stock settings. 😫 

2 minutes ago, OU812 said:

Uninstall afterburner, ddu the drivers and reinstall.

I already did.. to no avail.

19 minutes ago, leclod said:

At stock speeds ?

It isn't running at stock anymore. It's still running overclocked based on the numbers I see. I am trying to get it back to stock.

Maybe you bricked the gpu, hard to believe but...

You could try the gpu in another pc

Card still running 300 mhz fast but the system thinks that is my default speed. Temporary fix: reinstalled afterburner and underclocked by 300 mmhz. It runs stable at stock speeds this way, but I have to apply this bandaid fix everytime I start the pc up.

1 hour ago, Bloodmoore said:

Card still running 300 mhz fast but the system thinks that is my default speed. Temporary fix: reinstalled afterburner and underclocked by 300 mmhz. It runs stable at stock speeds this way, but I have to apply this bandaid fix everytime I start the pc up.

You shouldn't need to, there's that Windows Startup button... (also start with Windows in the menu)

Edited by leclod

What helped me with fixing an unstable oc was going into safe mode and uninstalling afterburner.

1 hour ago, Sniperman440 said:

What helped me with fixing an unstable oc was going into safe mode and uninstalling afterburner.

Tried that.. did it with networking off. Still came back to it oc

9 hours ago, Bloodmoore said:

Since around the 20x0 series, NVIDIA cards do not strictly stick to the base/boost clocks advertised by the vendor.  That's more a "it will do at LEAST this much" rather than a limit.

My 3080 boosts up to 1920Mhz on default settings, and if you actually look at what the vBIOS is allowing its set to 2100Mhz Max, even though the card is advertised at 1440 Mhz base, 1710 Mhz Boost.  This is why OC cards are largely pointless these days, they just nudge the clock scaling up a little and unlock higher power limits, but stock cards are designed to clock as high as possible by default anyway.

A 300Mhz over stock should NOT be causing instability, there is something wrong here.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

17 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Since around the 20x0 series, NVIDIA cards do not strictly stick to the base/boost clocks advertised by the vendor.  That's more a "it will do at LEAST this much" rather than a limit.

My 3080 boosts up to 1920Mhz on default settings, and if you actually look at what the vBIOS is allowing its set to 2100Mhz Max, even though the card is advertised at 1440 Mhz base, 1710 Mhz Boost.  This is why OC cards are largely pointless these days, they just nudge the clock scaling up a little and unlock higher power limits, but stock cards are designed to clock as high as possible by default anyway.

A 300Mhz over stock should NOT be causing instability, there is something wrong here.

I wonder if it's a lack of voltage or power to go with it? With just the OC from 1695 to 1995 I get unbearable coilwhine 

8 hours ago, Bloodmoore said:

I wonder if it's a lack of voltage or power to go with it? With just the OC from 1695 to 1995 I get unbearable coilwhine 

Coil whine sadly is another very common thing with 30x0 and 40x0 series cards, its not an indication of a problem though.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7