Front USB 2.0 Ports Not Working

El3ctroGames

Opening another thread since my other thread is no longer answered although my question is a bit different.

When I have the front USB 2.0 header plugged in, none of the front USB ports work and if I turn the PC on while something is plugged in, it fails to start up the PC and just takes me to a black screen with a white line at the top left.

If I don't plug in the front USB 2.0 header, the USB 3.0 ports work fine but now of course the USB 2.0 port don't work.

I am using the GIGABYTE B450M DS3H WIFI motherboard.

I have tried a few things that people suggested in my other thread but nothing worked.

I assume it is a hardware issue, does this sound like a Motherboard or Case issue since I won't have time to send one back and get another one, test it, and send the other one back if I sent the non faulty part back.

Thanks.

If I'm not mistaken, Motherboards have more than one USB header. If this isn't something suggested in your other thread(s), try using an alternative USB header. Before doing that, see if there's any obvious damage on the cable or the header, check for missing pins.

Could be the board in the case is damaged and its not working because of that as usb 2 and 3 are separated.

6 minutes ago, El3ctroGames said:

Opening another thread since my other thread is no longer answered although my question is a bit different.

When I have the front USB 2.0 header plugged in, none of the front USB ports work and if I turn the PC on while something is plugged in, it fails to start up the PC and just takes me to a black screen with a white line at the top left.

If I don't plug in the front USB 2.0 header, the USB 3.0 ports work fine but now of course the USB 2.0 port don't work.

I am using the GIGABYTE B450M DS3H WIFI motherboard.

I have tried a few things that people suggested in my other thread but nothing worked.

I assume it is a hardware issue, does this sound like a Motherboard or Case issue since I won't have time to send one back and get another one, test it, and send the other one back if I sent the non faulty part back.

Thanks.

Sounds like the pins or the wires are messed up and it shorts to ground. That would cause such behavior.

Don't use it or half split the issue with a different USB 2.0 connector or motherboard. Outside of that, other steps aren't worth the time/money.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

yeah i'd check the case's front panel PCB for visible damage. there might also be something stuck down in the port that is shorting it. if the wires aren't correct to the header you can depin them and fix them yourself with just some thin pliers.
you might find only one of the 2 ports is causing the issue and depin that one getting yourself 1 port back too.

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

20 minutes ago, Extremos said:

If I'm not mistaken, Motherboards have more than one USB header. If this isn't something suggested in your other thread(s), try using an alternative USB header. Before doing that, see if there's any obvious damage on the cable or the header, check for missing pins.

Unfortunately the motherboard only has one header.

17 minutes ago, Agall said:

Sounds like the pins or the wires are messed up and it shorts to ground. That would cause such behavior.

Don't use it or half split the issue with a different USB 2.0 connector or motherboard. Outside of that, other steps aren't worth the time/money.

Its possible.

17 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

yeah i'd check the case's front panel PCB for visible damage. there might also be something stuck down in the port that is shorting it. if the wires aren't correct to the header you can depin them and fix them yourself with just some thin pliers.
you might find only one of the 2 ports is causing the issue and depin that one getting yourself 1 port back too.

I don't see any visible damage.

So this is most likely issues with the case's wires and not the motherboard?

1 minute ago, El3ctroGames said:

Unfortunately the motherboard only has one header.

Its possible.

I don't see any visible damage.

So this is most likely issues with the case's wires and not the motherboard?

google what the pinout of USB should be on the motherboard side and do you best to check if it's correct. in theory if there is nothing in the usb port it shouldn't be any difference if the header is plugged in or not, even if the wires are crossed. are you sure there's no solder bridging stuff it shouldn't?

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

16 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

google what the pinout of USB should be on the motherboard side and do you best to check if it's correct. in theory if there is nothing in the usb port it shouldn't be any difference if the header is plugged in or not, even if the wires are crossed. are you sure there's no solder bridging stuff it shouldn't?

If the header is not plugged in, how is it supposed to connect to the motherboard?

2 hours ago, El3ctroGames said:

If the header is not plugged in, how is it supposed to connect to the motherboard?

no i mean if the internal connector is connected to the motherboard but there's nothing plugged into the port technically the connection is open. so the motherboard shouldn't "see" any difference... so the problem should be on the PCB not in the pinout

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

15 hours ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

If the header was shorted, then they should see the issue regardless of anything plugged into it. Its either improperly wired, but more than likely, the cable, since there's far lower QA on a product like that than the pinout of a motherboard.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

9 hours ago, Agall said:

If the header was shorted, then they should see the issue regardless of anything plugged into it. Its either improperly wired, but more than likely, the cable, since there's far lower QA on a product like that than the pinout of a motherboard.

yeah that's what i said if you scroll down

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

USB 2 port on the mainboard are actually 2.. each row is its own port.. you can try to offsett the plug up or down to see if both ports are fubar or just one.  just remember to align pin 1.