M.2 drive to pcie or sata

Jakobsson

Im build a pc with parts I already have at home, and the motherboard im planing to use doesnt support a m.2 drive and thats all I have, so should I buy a m.2 to pcie adapter or m.2 to sata adapter for my build?

you can only use one of those two. they are fully exclusive. either your m.2 drive is sata or it's pcie and only that adapter will work with it

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

also side note I just remembered. if you're using a motherboard that doesn't have m.2 it's probably older than 2015. before Z97 (on intel) and Ryzen booting from a PCIe storage device is absolutely not supported on consumer platforms. so even with an adapter you couldn't have windows on that drive, it will still work once you are in OS.

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

26 minutes ago, Jakobsson said:

The drive is a Kingston NV2 Gen 4 M.2 SSD 2TB if that makes a differens

It makes a big difference. That is an NVMe drive, which means it is not compatible with SATA adapters.

As @SquintyG33Rs mentioned, you aren't likely to be able to boot off of an NVMe drive on a board that doesn't have a slot for it.

You could still use the NVMe drive as a secondary drive with a PCIe adapter card, but you'll need a different drive to be the boot drive. That said, you can get some really cheap 256GB SATA SSDs these days. You could use one for Windows, and then have your 2TB NVMe as a drive for games and applications with the adapter.

2 hours ago, da na said:

Well is it a M.2 SATA or NVMe drive? SATA drives have two notches, one on either side, NVMe drives only have one notch. 

this is so wrong on several levels. 

M.2 keys only tell you the max PCIe lanes, the M one have max 4 PCIe lanes, the B or B + M one have max 2 PCIe lanes, and that is all. 
And they all can have SATA lanes. 

There's absolutely nothing more to the M.2 key M, key B or key B + M, in the M.2 SSD. And just talking about notches count, without specifying the keys is also misleading. 

We have M.2 AHCI SSD using SATA lanes in key B and B + M
We have M.2 AHCI SSD using PCIe lanes (SATAexpress) in key M
We have M.2 NVMe SSD using PCIe lanes in key M and B + M

@JakobssonJust tell us the CPU and motherboard you are using, and if you have anything free to use, like PCIe slots, that aren't under GPU for example.

Spoiler
CPU : Intel 14gen i7-14700K
COOLER :  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 White + thermaltake toughfan 12 white + Thermal Grizzly - CPU Contact Frame Intel 13./14. +  Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra
GPU : MSI RTX 2070 Armor @GPU 2050MHz Mem 8200MHz -> USB C 10Gb/s cable 2m -> Unitek 4x USB HUB 10 Gb/s (Y-HB08003)
MOBO : MSI MEG Z690 UNIFY
RAM :  Corsair VENGEANCE DDR5 RAM 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) 6400 MHz CL32 (CMK64GX5M2B6400C32)
SSD : Intel Optane 905P 960GB U.2 (OS) + 2 x WD SN850X 4TB + 2 x PNY CS3140 2TB + ASM2824 PCIe switch -> 4 x Plextor M8PeG 1TB + flexiDOCK MB014SP-B -> Crucial MX500 2TB + GoodRam Iridium PRO 960GB + Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
HDD : WD White 18TB WD180EDFZ + SATA port multiplier adp6st0-j05 (JMB575) ->  WD Gold 8TB WD8002FRYZ + WD Gold 4TB WD4002FYYZ + WD Red PRO 4TB WD4001FFSX + WD Green 2TB WD20EARS
EXTERNAL
HDD/SSD : 
XT-XINTE LM906 (JMS583) -> Plextor M8PeG 1TB + WD My Passport slim 1TB + LaCie Porsche Design Mobile Drive 1TB USB-C + Zalman ZM-VE350 -> Goodram IRDM PRO 240GB
PSU :  Super Flower leadex platinum 750 W biały -> Bitfenix alchemy extensions białe/białe + AsiaHorse 16AWG White 
UPS :  CyberPower CP1500EPFCLCD -> Brennenstuhl primera-line 8 -> Brennenstuhl primera-line 10
LCD :  LG 32UD59-B + LG flatron IPS236 -> Silverstone SST-ARM11BC
CASE :  Fractal R5 Biały + Lian Li BZ-H06A srebrny + 6 x Thermaltake toughfan 14 white + Thermalright TL-B8W
SPEAKERS :  Aune S6 Pro -> Topping PA3-B -> Polk S20e black -> Monoprice stand 16250
HEADPHONES :  TOSLINK 2m -> Aune S6 Pro -> 2 x Monoprice Premier 1.8m 16AWG 3-pin XLR -> Monoprice Monolith THX AAA 887 -> 4-pin XLR na 2 x 3.5mm 16 cores OCC 2m Cable -> HiFiMAN Edition XS -> sheepskin pads + 4-pin XLR na 2 x 2.5mm ABLET silver 2m  Cable -> Monoprice Monolith M1060 + Brainwavz HM100 -> Brainwavz sheepskin oval pads + Wooden double Ɪ Stand + Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7BK -> sheepskin pads + Multibrackets MB1893 + Sennheiser Momentum 3 +  Philips Fidelio X2HR/00 + JBL J88 White
MIC :  Tonor TC30 -> Mozos SB38
KEYBOARD : Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Silent (EU) + Glorious PC Gaming Race Stealth Slim - Full Size Black + PQI MyLockey
MOUSE :  Logitech MX ERGO + 2 x Logitech MX Performance + Logitech G Pro wireless + Logitech G Pro Gaming -> Hotline Games 2.0 Plus + Corsair MM500 3xl + Corsair MM300 Extended + Razer goliathus control
CONTROLLERS :  Microsoft xbox series x controller pc (1VA-00002) -> brainwavz audio Controller Holder UGC2 + Microsoft xbox 360 wireless black + Ravcore Javelin
NET :  Intel x520-DA2 -> 2 x FTLX8571D3BCV-IT + 2 x ASUS ZenWiFi Pro XT12
NAS :  Qnap TS-932X-2G -> Noctua NF-P14s redux 1200 PWM -> Kingston 16GB 2400Mhz CL14 (HX424S14IB/16) -> 9 x Crucial MX500 2TB ->  2 x FTLX8571D3BCV-IT -> 2 x Digitus (DK-HD2533-05/3)