Noctua NF-140

Avengeddeath518
Go to solution Solved by SquintyG33Rs,

yeah motherboard detects wrong between PWM and DC all the time. I'm convinced the detection doesn't even work at all and it just ends up on whatever default the motherboard has preset.

it's odd that the motherboard would have a shutdown if not detected for 1min though 🤔 usually it just keeps going at 100% and ignores it.  and since your speed control is working it's not likely to be the problem.

it is theoretically possible for a header to be underspeced and not be able to fully juice what is connected but you hit that wall with pumps rather than fans usually... splitters and stuff are very commonly used with fans. so I wouldn't expect it to be that.

what's the motherboard? and can you give a table breakdown of each fan header on the motherboard and what's connected on each.
like:
CPU_FAN_1
- aio pump
CPU_FAN_2
-exaust NF140
-rad fans x2
CASE_FAN_1
-speed control for controller (what controller? is it aftermarket or built into the case)

Hello all new here! I recently purchased and installed a Noctua NF-140 for an exhaust fan in my case upgraded from a corsair 3 pin. Today as i did this i of course wanted to see difference in the loudness between them so using msi command center i would go from 50% to 100% mind you my exhaust fan and my radiator fans are both connected to the mother board not in same location. fan 1 is exhaust fan and fan 2 is both my radiator fans. ok so i then test the Noctua 50% to 100% and omg what a difference lol i was being cooled off myself sitting in my chair! so i pushed it and turned up both my radiator fans to max 100% those two fans are what was provided with my deepcool castle 240ex liquid cooler. after about 1min all 3 going full they all shut down. mind you the rest of my other 3 case fans are hooked up to a fan speed controller did not. I can run rad fans at 100 but only my noctua at 50% without issues So my question is am i running into a voltage issue or something? and if so how can i fix it? Thank you for reading!

PS: I LOVE YOUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL LINUS!

Ideas :

Did you set in the bios which kind of fan, DC or PWM ? (you went from DC to PWM)

Can you check with another fan connector ?

Edited by leclod

I'm willing to swim against the current.

yeah motherboard detects wrong between PWM and DC all the time. I'm convinced the detection doesn't even work at all and it just ends up on whatever default the motherboard has preset.

it's odd that the motherboard would have a shutdown if not detected for 1min though 🤔 usually it just keeps going at 100% and ignores it.  and since your speed control is working it's not likely to be the problem.

it is theoretically possible for a header to be underspeced and not be able to fully juice what is connected but you hit that wall with pumps rather than fans usually... splitters and stuff are very commonly used with fans. so I wouldn't expect it to be that.

what's the motherboard? and can you give a table breakdown of each fan header on the motherboard and what's connected on each.
like:
CPU_FAN_1
- aio pump
CPU_FAN_2
-exaust NF140
-rad fans x2
CASE_FAN_1
-speed control for controller (what controller? is it aftermarket or built into the case)

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

First off thank you guys for the replies! ok so this motherboard is a Msi 990FXA gaming. I did however shut my system down and left for a few hours came home to test it again to see what would happen and well it has been about 20mins now all 3 of the fans at 100% and that issue has not come back. lol hmmmpphhh i mean i don't want to run this noctua 100% unless necessary but dang i was like ok not cool lol! I could have sworn this issue was going to be more than a simple shut it down for a bit and try again situation or maybe just going into bios did something? i don't know lol but this for now this is resolved. And hopefully if this happens to someone else they see this and give it a try?

CPU_Fan

-AIO pump

Sys_Fan 1

exhuast fan (noctua fan) 4pin

Sys_Fan 2

Rad fans 2 of them

two intake fans in front controlled by my aftermarket singe din lcd screen fan controller.

and my fan on bottom also controlled by that same fan controller.

well you can come back and hit up the thread if it pops back up

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz