New Build - Power Supply Question

fletch8527
Go to solution Solved by Hinjima,
3 minutes ago, fletch8527 said:

I recently got a bundle from Microcenter that included the following:

AMD Ryzen 7 7700X

MSI PRO B650-P WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard

G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory

My current PC is a bit old and for now I would be moving over my OEM GTX 1070 to this new build. I ordered a Lian Li LANCOOL 216 ATX Mid Tower Case and a Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE WHITE ARGB cooler for the CPU. Im going to need to get a PSU for this build and kinda blew the budget on this build already. I was looking around for a PSU and found someone selling a brand new EVGA 700BR PSU. I can probably get it for $40-50. Would that be a good start for this build while I wait for a better PSU goes on sale? I was looking at maybe getting a 6750 XT in the near future, would the 700BR still be adequate?

I found out about the Cultists site ranking PSUs and the 700BR is listed as a C Tier PSU but it seems that C Tier is adequate for budget builds and are still recommended. I don't plan to do any overclocking. According to PCPartPicker with these parts and including the 6750 XT it shows an estimated 464W power budget so this 700BR seems that it would be a good start. I'm aware that the PSU only has 1x 8 pin connector and the motherboard has 2x, but from what I read is that the 2x would only needed for overclocking.

image.png.5f9c53dcefd1ef9c7b7770445daffcb8.png

700w is fine for this build.  I myself use a 750w on a 7700x - 32GB DRR5 - RTX 4080.  And its correct, you only need 1x8pin on the motherboard for CPU power, one 1x8pin CPU power connector is rated at 336 watts. The other one is just for 'show' or hardcore overclocking.

AMD Ryzen 7 7700X

My current PC is a bit old and for now I would be moving over my OEM GTX 1070 to this new build. I ordered a Lian Li LANCOOL 216 ATX Mid Tower Case and a Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE WHITE ARGB cooler for the CPU. Im going to need to get a PSU for this build and kinda blew the budget on this build already. I was looking around for a PSU and found someone selling a brand new EVGA 700BR PSU. I can probably get it for $40-50. Would that be a good start for this build while I wait for a better PSU goes on sale? I was looking at maybe getting a 6750 XT in the near future, would the 700BR still be adequate?

I found out about the Cultists site ranking PSUs and the 700BR is listed as a C Tier PSU but it seems that C Tier is adequate for budget builds and are still recommended. I don't plan to do any overclocking. According to PCPartPicker with these parts and including the 6750 XT it shows an estimated 464W power budget so this 700BR seems that it would be a good start. I'm aware that the PSU only has 1x 8 pin connector and the motherboard has 2x, but from what I read is that the 2x would only needed for overclocking.

3 minutes ago, fletch8527 said:

AMD Ryzen 7 7700X

700w is fine for this build.  I myself use a 750w on a 7700x - 32GB DRR5 - RTX 4080.  And its correct, you only need 1x8pin on the motherboard for CPU power, one 1x8pin CPU power connector is rated at 336 watts. The other one is just for 'show' or hardcore overclocking.

21 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

Thanks for the confirmation. I had others saying I needed an 850w PSU for this setup but TBH it wasnt a tech forum.

42 minutes ago, fletch8527 said:

Thanks for the confirmation. I had others saying I needed an 850w PSU for this setup but TBH it wasnt a tech forum.

No problem!  850w is quite overkill for this build 😄  I have a friend that runs a similar setup with a 550w and it works great.   If you have any other questions, just ask.

As the other poster mentioned, 700w should be sufficient for this build. I'd add that I wouldn't be concerned about the fact that this is a lower tier power supply, pretty much anything sold by a reputable company, like EVGA, is going to be perfectly sufficient, in terms of quality, and isn't something that I'd spend too much time or energy worrying about. I ran a PSU from the same family for many years in an old FX8300 based system that was running an R9 Fury graphics card. You shouldn't run into any reliability issues. Honestly, I wouldn't even bother upgrading the PSU down the line unless you really want or need a feature the BR is missing.