[US] $40 1TB SSD Deals (NVMe and SATA)

YoungBlade

If you're looking to get some additional SSD capacity for games, Amazon and Newegg right now have some 1TB DRAM-less SSDs on sale for $40.

1TB WD Green SN350 M.2 2280 NVMe drive on Amazon

1TB TeamGroup AX2 2.5" SATA drive on Amazon

1TB LEVEN JS600 2.5" SATA drive on Amazon

1TB TeamGroup CX2 2.5" SATA drive on Newegg

In terms of price per GB, this is equivalent to the $80 2TB Intel 670p deal that is still going on, so if you want NVMe and you have the budget to spend $80 on a 2TB model, I'd go that route. But if you can only afford $40, the WD Green drive should do well. However, for those whose system lacks an additional NVMe slot, a SATA drive can still be a nice way to add some capacity. And that's exactly what I think these drives should be used for: as secondary drives for additional capacity. Which is what I've got one of them (the 1TB TeamGroup CX2) in my system for right now. I paid $80 for that drive over a year ago now - honestly would have waited had I known SSD prices would go this low this fast.

When it comes to game loading performance, Hardware Unboxed a few years ago found that having an SSD alone - even SATA and DRAM-less - was good enough to minimize loading times in the vast majority of games. So if you are low on space because Battlefield of Duty Infinite takes up 100GB for some profane reason, then you can just throw it on this secondary drive and give your main drive some breathing room.

As a boot drive, these aren't ideal, but if you are looking to breathe new life into an older system or you want 1TB but can't afford to spend more, then these will still be better than a hard drive. But if you can afford more, there are options - albeit not as cheap - that would be better for your OS drive.

On 3/23/2023 at 9:28 AM, YoungBlade said:

But if you can only afford $40, the WD Green drive should do well.

It's $48 from a third party Amazon seller with 21% 1 star negative reviews in the past month. It also has an extremely low 100 TBW endurance rating, among other bottom of the barrel specs. Including QLC NAND. The write speed will come to a crawl equivalent to that of a hard drive.

The Silicon Power P34A80 is just $49 and has a night and day difference in specs.

1 hour ago, Paul Rudd said:

It's $48 from a third party Amazon seller with 21% 1 star negative reviews in the past month. It also has an extremely low 100 TBW endurance rating, among other bottom of the barrel specs. Including QLC NAND. The write speed will come to a crawl equivalent to that of a hard drive.

The Silicon Power P34A80 is just $49 and has a night and day difference in specs.

It was being sold direct from Amazon when I posted this a week ago. Like I said, I don't recommend these for boot drives, but as secondary storage drives for things like games. For a boot drive, if you can afford more, you can certainly get more, but there really isn't much difference in game loading times between SSDs - at least not yet.

6 hours ago, YoungBlade said:

I don't recommend these for boot drives, but as secondary storage drives for things like games.

I prefer an HDD as my secondary drive. My motherboard does not allow an M.2 SSD and I have yet to make the swap from HDD actually. I have a 1 TB HDD as my OS drive and three other HDD's that store games and other media.

A HDD lasts much longer than a 100 TBW bottom of the barrel SATA SSD and as I mentioned, those particular QLC drives write speed will come to a crawl equivalent to that of a hard drive. So I recommend a 2 TB hard drive at this $40-$50 but that's just me.

When it comes to an SSD for $50, my money is on the SP A80. If I only had an M.2 slot.