will it still work if this happened?

so i got thermal paste on the yellow contacts of the cpu i tried wipeing it off in water but that did not work but will it still work with thermal paste on some contacts

3 minutes ago, yo i like pugs said:

so i got thermal paste on the yellow contacts of the cpu i tried wipeing it off in water but that did not work but will it still work with thermal paste on some contacts

Get isopropyl alchol now 72% or up. You washing it with water basically killed your cpu if ANY got under the heatspreader.

8 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Get isopropyl alchol now 72% or up. You washing it with water basically killed your cpu if ANY got under the heatspreader.

why?

4 minutes ago, yo i like pugs said:

why?

Water boils and is somewhat conductive. There are naked capacitors there. The bioling can be an issue with the cpu blowing it's chip up.

Also unless it’s distilled, water contains salts that are mildly corrosive that stay behind when it dries out.

You absolutely can clean electronics with distilled water, BUT you must ensure they are TOTALLY dry before applying any power again. 

Isopropyl is just much easier to use as it dries quickly and leaves no residue.

Either alcohol, acetone or plastic safe contact cleaner spray will clean it off just fine.
Alcohol is fine, acetone is at least as good (If not better) and the plastic safe contact cleaner spray works too but is also the most expensive stuff out of the three by far.
No need to go out and get some if you have any of the other two around to use already.

Regardless of what you use, be sure to let it dry fully before installing to test.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.