Opinions about ARC GPUs

steelfoxy

Hey there, i rock a Ryzen 7 5700G, Asus Prime B550M-A and 32GB RAM. I came up short in gpus big time and i have a GTX 670 2GB. I can play basic games and handle my work easily so, i plan an upgrade in the future(like couple months). Intel ARC A770 16GB is really cheap so i got confused a lot. Should i look out for one of them or go with a RX 6700 XT? Nvidia is not an option for me i tried one and i got traumatized 😄

Specs: Ryzen 7 5700G w/ Wraith Prism(locked at 4.2 ghz)

32 GB(4x8) Kingston HyperX Predator 3200 MHZ CL 16 RAM

Asus Prime B550M-A Wi-Fi

3 SSD(250 nVME+480+250)

Cooler Master H500 w/ 750W +80 Bronze PSU

MSI GTX 670 Jurassic Park edition(i don't know the model name it is just as old as a dinosaur)

4 minutes ago, steelsong said:

Hey there, i rock a Ryzen 7 5700G, Asus Prime B550M-A and 32GB RAM. I came up short in gpus big time and i have a GTX 670 2GB. I can play basic games and handle my work easily so, i plan an upgrade in the future(like couple months). Intel ARC A770 16GB is really cheap so i got confused a lot. Should i look out for one of them or go with a RX 6700 XT? Nvidia is not an option for me i tried one and i got traumatized 😄

6700xt. Arc rn is just bad. Your getting ok performance but your also getting driver issues and other weird and experience ruining shit. If you want to go cheaper look for 6700xt used on ebay and stuff. I was just looking and I found one for around 120 USD.

My First PC
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
Cooler: Asus TUF Gaming LC240
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B550-f gaming
RAM: 4x8 GB Corsair Vengeance RS (3200 MHz, CL16)
Storage: 1tb Samsung 980 Pro
Graphics Card: Asus Dual RTX 2060 OC
Case: Deepcool Matrexx 50
Power Supply: Corsair RM650x
Headset: Razer Blackshark V2
Keyboard: Corsair K70 Pro Mini (Speed Silver switches)
Mouse: Razer Viper Mini
Only changes I have made is I sold the 2060 for $235 AUD and bought a Powercolor Red Devil 6700 XT for $400 second hand (it was barely used, think I scored a deal on Ebay with that).
I'm learning video editing and trying to get some cash as a high school student.
I like F1, my favourite team is Scuderia Ferrari and favourite driver is Charles Leclerc. Favourite track is Red Bull Ring in Austria.
Playing with a 1080p 60hz monitor right now, hoping to upgrade to a 1440p 144hz one soon.

Living in AU and that pisses me off since every event is late at night or early in the morning (almost every F1 race starts around 11 PM AEST time)

Just now, PcBeExpensive said:

6700xt. Arc rn is just bad. Your getting ok performance but your also getting driver issues and other weird and experience ruining shit. If you want to go cheaper look for 6700xt used on ebay and stuff. I was just looking and I found one for around 120 USD.

Thanks, i have trust issues and RX 6700 XT prices are not that bad in here tbh. I even think a VEGA 64 sometimes 😄 i found one for 65 USD in TR 😄 

Asus Prime B550M-A Wi-Fi

3 SSD(250 nVME+480+250)

MSI GTX 670 Jurassic Park edition(i don't know the model name it is just as old as a dinosaur)

If they're the same price get the 6700 XT, it's the better card in every possible way. The A770 still has pretty bad drivers, they might be getting better but that doesn't mean that they're good. It's about the performance of an RX 6600 but with better RT performance and terrible DX9 performance, so unless you can get one for less than the price of an RX 6600 (~$200) you're better off just avoiding it and getting the AMD card instead. 

If you got traumatized by Nvidia, Intel's graphics are the 9th circle of hell, at least for now. 

1 minute ago, PcBeExpensive said:

6700xt used on ebay and stuff. I was just looking and I found one for around 120 USD

Did it actually sell for that, though?

I've been haunting eBay for 6600xt/6700xt for a while, and while the bidding might start around $100-$120 for a 6700xt, they end up going for $270-$330 usd final sale price. 6600xt can be fairly reliably had for around $200us +- based on the board manufacturer and model.

14 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

If they're the same price get the 6700 XT, it's the better card in every possible way. The A770 still has pretty bad drivers, they might be getting better but that doesn't mean that they're good. It's about the performance of an RX 6600 but with better RT performance and terrible DX9 performance, so unless you can get one for less than the price of an RX 6600 (~$200) you're better off just avoiding it and getting the AMD card instead. 

If you got traumatized by Nvidia, Intel's graphics are the 9th circle of hell, at least for now. 

W O W that was a great way to explain Intel, thanks a lot. But i still have questions because users and reviews are telling everything is going for upsides. I got confused and eventually i can buy a gtx 1070 Ti 😄

Asus Prime B550M-A Wi-Fi

3 SSD(250 nVME+480+250)

15 minutes ago, sailsman63 said:

Did it actually sell for that, though?

I've been haunting eBay for 6600xt/6700xt for a while, and while the bidding might start around $100-$120 for a 6700xt, they end up going for $270-$330 usd final sale price. 6600xt can be fairly reliably had for around $200us +- based on the board manufacturer and model.

Do you recommend Gigabyte and XFX for the Radeon cards? I lean towards Gigabyte sometimes.

Asus Prime B550M-A Wi-Fi

3 SSD(250 nVME+480+250)

1 minute ago, steelsong said:

Do you recommend Gigabyte and XFX for the Radeon cards? I lean towards Gigabyte sometimes.

Depends more on the specific model. There are some bad cards from each of them, and there are some good cards from each of them. With RX 6000 series cards, XFX generally has a little better GPUs, but it's not likely to make a noticeable difference either way, so realistically you should just aim for whichever is cheaper. 

1 minute ago, steelsong said:

Do you recommend Gigabyte and XFX for the Radeon cards?

I'm very much a n00b at actually picking a specific card. I'd suggest looking up review/side-by-side comparisons. Some of these cards have more capable cooling systems than others - which doesn't always make a difference in actual performance of the card, but can make a difference in how hard the fans have to work, which affects noise levels. Whether that will matter to you I can't begin to say.

3 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Depends more on the specific model. There are some bad cards from each of them, and there are some good cards from each of them. With RX 6000 series cards, XFX generally has a little better GPUs, but it's not likely to make a noticeable difference either way, so realistically you should just aim for whichever is cheaper. 

Thanks a lot!

Asus Prime B550M-A Wi-Fi

3 SSD(250 nVME+480+250)

It’s decent, dx9 issues have mostly been fixed at least in the stability department, no more crashing or stuttering, just not great framerates

id rather have a game perform consistently poorly than have it stutter tbh

B14DDFDF-347E-4CF3-A2E0-08ADD937223C.thumb.jpeg.566666c485dae2eb77b8703c18b806d7.jpeg

does pretty good for games that utilize it well, I would look into arc performance for your game library and see if it’s the right choice, the most demanding game I play is halo MCC and I’m pushing max settings in 4k with halo 2 remastered for like 35-45fps, and that’s a worst case scenario for optimization being a poorly done layered modification to a poorly done port running on dx11

2 minutes ago, 8tg said:

It’s decent, dx9 issues have mostly been fixed at least in the stability department, no more crashing or stuttering, just not great framerates

id rather have a game perform consistently poorly than have it stutter tbh

B14DDFDF-347E-4CF3-A2E0-08ADD937223C.thumb.jpeg.566666c485dae2eb77b8703c18b806d7.jpeg

does pretty good for games that utilize it well, I would look into arc performance for your game library and see if it’s the right choice, the most demanding game I play is halo MCC and I’m pushing max settings in 4k with halo 2 remastered for like 35-45fps, and that’s a worst case scenario for optimization being a poorly done layered modification to a poorly done port running on dx11

The games i play currently is CS:GO, LoL and heavily modded Minecraft. I can't play Skyrim, Hogwarts Legacy or Witcher 3 but i keep them installed 😄 i have hopes. I wanna dive in more hard games but 2GB gpu is a massive bottleneck and iGPU in the 5700G is not enough for anything.

Asus Prime B550M-A Wi-Fi

3 SSD(250 nVME+480+250)

2 minutes ago, steelsong said:

The games i play currently is CS:GO, LoL and heavily modded Minecraft. I can't play Skyrim, Hogwarts Legacy or Witcher 3 but i keep them installed 😄 i have hopes. I wanna dive in more hard games but 2GB gpu is a massive bottleneck and iGPU in the 5700G is not enough for anything.

All of those should run on arc with no issues, I can speak at least personally with csgo, modded Minecraft and Skyrim, anything will run lol, and Witcher 3 is shown to run very well with plenty of documentation out there on it.

Hogwarts legacy the bit of video coverage I see on it relating to arc it seems to run fine, xess helps with it a bit, it’s a DX 12 title so it runs normally on the hardware but the a770 is still a 3060/rx 6600 tier of gpu overall so it’s not that much of a powerhouse for a super demanding game like hogwarts.

I would go for arc if you’re interested in it and can find one priced well, every so often they go on minor sales and are pretty good value. And if you do anything else that arc is beneficial for like video streaming with AV1 then it’s a no brainer.

Though if outright gaming performance is the focus and some titles in your library don’t play well with arc, it’s not the best choice, and 6600 or 3060 would be a better choice for the more global stability and compatibility that arc just doesn’t have yet.

I like mine, and I encourage others to jump on arc as well, but it is very situational that’s a good choice.

4 minutes ago, 8tg said:

All of those should run on arc with no issues, I can speak at least personally with csgo, modded Minecraft and Skyrim, anything will run lol, and Witcher 3 is shown to run very well with plenty of documentation out there on it.

Hogwarts legacy the bit of video coverage I see on it relating to arc it seems to run fine, xess helps with it a bit, it’s a DX 12 title so it runs normally on the hardware but the a770 is still a 3060/rx 6600 tier of gpu overall so it’s not that much of a powerhouse for a super demanding game like hogwarts.

I would go for arc if you’re interested in it and can find one priced well, every so often they go on minor sales and are pretty good value. And if you do anything else that arc is beneficial for like video streaming with AV1 then it’s a no brainer.

Though if outright gaming performance is the focus and some titles in your library don’t play well with arc, it’s not the best choice, and 6600 or 3060 would be a better choice for the more global stability and compatibility that arc just doesn’t have yet.

I like mine, and I encourage others to jump on arc as well, but it is very situational that’s a good choice.

I got bent over by Nvidia since the RX 2000 series came out and i quit on them so if it is not free i will not use a RTX card i think. My current problem is the drivers fo old cards are awful and i can't play Skyrim for 5 mins without having 2 crashes. Same for the Witcher 2-3 as well. 

Asus Prime B550M-A Wi-Fi

3 SSD(250 nVME+480+250)

3 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

And for some games that use dx10 performance is basically non existant