iOS App for naming photos sequentially like a digital camera?

Hello all, I work for a company that does ADA compliance assessments among other things, we use pretty bad digital cameras because we can customize how the photos are named. We can also quickly tell the assistant surveyor what photo numbers to attach to a specific finding while out in the field because the camera overlays the photo number on the image. Ex: "Overall photos for dwelling unit 313 are 0035 through 0045".

Ex: When starting a new survey, we set the photo range to start at 0001. After we take these photos, we use a program to batch rename these files to append a 2 letter surveyor code (Ex: OQ) followed by the date (232003) and the photo number. The result would be a file name of "OQ232003-0001".

We intend to keep the system for batch renaming in place, but we would like to replace the need for these digital cameras. They produce awful looking photos compared to modern smartphones. The problem is I can't find an app that allows the user to choose when to start or stop a number sequence for photos. Anyone know of an app like this or would I have to waste weeks attempting to develop it myself coming from 0 coding experience?

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Honestly, I'd skip the search for an app to reset the number on the phone entirely and just try to optimize the batch renaming aspect. The files your iPhone generates are already sequentially numbered, you can just copy all of those files to a local folder and then use a proper renaming tool that starts at 1 every time. One that's probably easiest to use even for non-tech literate people is IrfanView. It has a batch renaming feature that does everything you need, it can add pre- and postfixes and you can use the # symbol (in your case #### to get four digits) to generate an ascending number. And it can do lots of other things fairly easily, like batch compression or image processing, if the need ever arises.

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

7 hours ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

I'd skip the search for an app to reset the number on the phone entirely and just try to optimize the batch renaming aspect.

The batch renaming is entirely optimized from the get go with digital cameras. I just am not understanding why nobody seems to have thought about doing this before on iOS. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

I don't know of any app that does this but you can quite easily create a shortcut to do this

5 minutes ago, Umberto said:

I don't know of any app that does this but you can quite easily create a shortcut to do this

Yeah, shortcuts would work after taking a bunch of photos and batch rename them after the fact. That not what I'm looking for. The photos names would have to start at IMG_0001 with no conversions or renames needed after the photo was taken.

43 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Yeah, shortcuts would work after taking a bunch of photos and batch rename them after the fact. That not what I'm looking for. The photos names would have to start at IMG_0001 with no conversions or renames needed after the photo was taken.

You can create a shortcut that takes a photo, adds a "IMG_0001" text overlay and then saves the photo to the files app as IMG_0001.heic

You can add a loop that increments a variable for sequential naming.