amd or intel CPU for workstation

amd or intel? CPU im building a workstation w/ a budget of $3000NZD for the whole build!

2 minutes ago, techbox said:

amd or intel? CPU im building a workstation w/ a budget of $3000NZD for the whole build!

well depends. What are you doing? Intel is decent AMD is also decent. More info please.

My First PC
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
Cooler: Asus TUF Gaming LC240
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B550-f gaming
RAM: 4x8 GB Corsair Vengeance RS (3200 MHz, CL16)
Storage: 1tb Samsung 980 Pro
Graphics Card: Asus Dual RTX 2060 OC
Case: Deepcool Matrexx 50
Power Supply: Corsair RM650x
Headset: Razer Blackshark V2
Keyboard: Corsair K70 Pro Mini (Speed Silver switches)
Mouse: Razer Viper Mini
Only changes I have made is I sold the 2060 for $235 AUD and bought a Powercolor Red Devil 6700 XT for $400 second hand (it was barely used, think I scored a deal on Ebay with that).
I'm learning video editing and trying to get some cash as a high school student.
I like F1, my favourite team is Scuderia Ferrari and favourite driver is Charles Leclerc. Favourite track is Red Bull Ring in Austria.
Playing with a 1080p 60hz monitor right now, hoping to upgrade to a 1440p 144hz one soon.

Living in AU and that pisses me off since every event is late at night or early in the morning (almost every F1 race starts around 11 PM AEST time)

2 minutes ago, techbox said:

Both have competitive offerings for workstations. What exactly are you planning to do with the workstation?

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

5 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

Both have competitive offerings for workstations. What exactly are you planning to do with the workstation?

5 minutes ago, PcBeExpensive said:

well depends. What are you doing? Intel is decent AMD is also decent. More info please.

I will use it for a little 3d modeling, and i bit of ableton live w/ a abolton push and a roland midi keybord / synth and a little coding and yea i cant think of anything els rn but i would like it to be fast as possible!

I only use Intel for workstations simply because they have this handy website called "Ark" that tells me every feature the CPU has. AMD doesn't have that, it's just ad pages from them in that regard and consumer speculation.

17 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

18 minutes ago, PcBeExpensive said:

1 hour ago, techbox said:

I will use it for a little 3d modeling, and i bit of ableton live w/ a abolton push and a roland midi keybord / synth and a little coding and yea i cant think of anything els rn but i would like it to be fast as possible!

I would say intel then.

My First PC
Only changes I have made is I sold the 2060 for $235 AUD and bought a Powercolor Red Devil 6700 XT for $400 second hand (it was barely used, think I scored a deal on Ebay with that).
I'm learning video editing and trying to get some cash as a high school student.
I like F1, my favourite team is Scuderia Ferrari and favourite driver is Charles Leclerc. Favourite track is Red Bull Ring in Austria.
Playing with a 1080p 60hz monitor right now, hoping to upgrade to a 1440p 144hz one soon.

Living in AU and that pisses me off since every event is late at night or early in the morning (almost every F1 race starts around 11 PM AEST time)

1 hour ago, techbox said:

oh and what gpu?

well tell us a budget for a gpu.

My First PC