Build for web developer ?

Hi there guys.

I'm trying to build a new system for a friend of mine working as a web developer on Linux/PopOS.

1. Budget & Location

Budget for this build will be around 1500€ (~1600$), we are located in France.

2. Aim

The aim here is to upgrade a 6-year-old build that is starting to show its age. He currently has a 7700K and a 1050Ti with 32GB of RAM.

No gaming, no video or photo editing, just coding/programming with a lot of open tabs, web browsing etc.

3. Monitors

He has 2x 32" 4K monitors (LG 32UN500)

4. Peripherals

No additional peripherals needed, he mostly uses Linux and switches back to Windows from time to time.

5. Why are you upgrading?

He just wants to upgrade to something a little bit faster and snappier as he has started to notice some lags in his workflow.

For the CPU, I was thinking about the Ryzen 9 5900X as it's getting quite cheap and seems like a good value for the money (370€).

Mobo, a decent B550 board with wifi (maybe the MSI Gaming Edge Wifi if I can find one available).

RAM will probably be 32/64GB DDR4 with a decent clock but maybe I need to consider the infinity fabric here ? Let me know.

My biggest interrogation is with the GPU, I know a web dev doesn't really need one but since he's using 2x 4K monitors I was debating whether or not more VRAM could be beneficial (he currently has 4GB).

I was thinking about the RTX 3060 12GB but it's sitting at 399€ currently which is way above MSRP.

Let me know your thoughts on this ! 

Thanks !

50 minutes ago, OrpheuS_ said:

Hi there guys.

I'm trying to build a new system for a friend of mine working as a web developer on Linux/PopOS.

1. Budget & Location

Budget for this build will be around 1500€ (~1600$), we are located in France.

2. Aim

The aim here is to upgrade a 6-year-old build that is starting to show its age. He currently has a 7700K and a 1050Ti with 32GB of RAM.

No gaming, no video or photo editing, just coding/programming with a lot of open tabs, web browsing etc.

3. Monitors

He has 2x 32" 4K monitors (LG 32UN500)

4. Peripherals

No additional peripherals needed, he mostly uses Linux and switches back to Windows from time to time.

5. Why are you upgrading?

He just wants to upgrade to something a little bit faster and snappier as he has started to notice some lags in his workflow.

For the CPU, I was thinking about the Ryzen 9 5900X as it's getting quite cheap and seems like a good value for the money (370€).

Mobo, a decent B550 board with wifi (maybe the MSI Gaming Edge Wifi if I can find one available).

RAM will probably be 32/64GB DDR4 with a decent clock but maybe I need to consider the infinity fabric here ? Let me know.

My biggest interrogation is with the GPU, I know a web dev doesn't really need one but since he's using 2x 4K monitors I was debating whether or not more VRAM could be beneficial (he currently has 4GB).

I was thinking about the RTX 3060 12GB but it's sitting at 399€ currently which is way above MSRP.

Let me know your thoughts on this ! 

Thanks !

I would actually recommend 13th gen intel over AM4 Ryzen, for better performance. With their 13th gen, intel is way ahead of AMD in terms of productivity, programming, and etc. You said they wouldn't be using the monitors for gaming, and a RTX 3060 should be able to handle 2 4k monitors no problem. 🙂 

https://fr.pcpartpicker.com/list/pj3nzf

CPU: Intel Core i5-13500 2.5 GHz 14-Core Processor  (€288.48 @ Amazon France) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black 55 CFM CPU Cooler  (€89.90 @ Amazon France) 
Motherboard: MSI MAG B760 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  (€221.15 @ Amazon France) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  (€118.88 @ Alternate) 
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  (€84.99 @ Amazon France) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Ventus 2X 12G GeForce RTX 3060 12GB 12 GB Video Card  (€399.98 @ Alternate) 
Case: Fractal Design Pop Air ATX Mid Tower Case  (€109.90 @ Amazon France) 
Power Supply: Corsair RM750e 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (€129.99 @ Amazon France) 
€1443.27

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos

2 hours ago, GeorgeMKane said:

and a RTX 3060 should be able to handle 2 4k monitors no problem

Nope, just the iGPU is enough. Web Dev doesnt really benefits a lot from GPU, theyre very CPU heavy instead especially on compile. So unless OP can confirm that parallel compute API (CUDA or OpenCL for example) is supported in the workflow, skip the GPU entirely.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 4.7 GHz 12-Core Processor  (€264.98 @ Cdiscount) 
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (€115.94 @ TopAchat) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B650M GAMING X AX Micro ATX AM5 Motherboard  (€208.60 @ Amazon France) 
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory  (€146.88 @ Alternate) 
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  (€154.40 @ Amazon France) 
Case: Fractal Design Focus 2 ATX Mid Tower Case  (€87.94 @ TopAchat) 
Power Supply: Gigabyte UD750GM 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (€109.99 @ Amazon France) 
Total: €1088.73
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-03-21 04:22 CET+0100

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

58 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Web Dev doesnt really benefits a lot from GPU, theyre very CPU heavy instead especially on compile. So unless OP can confirm that parallel compute API (CUDA or OpenCL for example) is supported in the workflow, skip the GPU entirely.

Coming from an actual web developer, you're very wrong on that.

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos

2 minutes ago, GeorgeMKane said:

Coming from an actual web developer, you're very wrong on that.

I mean setting that aside, OP is working on Linux and youre pairing it with Nvidia GPU which even after the kernel published still have issues to today. AMD GPU is still king in that platform, and OP would still have money to burn on 6700XT on my list.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Really appreciate the swift and detailed responses here guys, thank you very much.

I don't want to exclude the GPU entirely just in case he might need it for other tasks, that's why I was looking for a sweet spot in terms of price/performance without breaking the bank to allow for a more beefy CPU. From what I've seen the RX 6650XT seems to be a bit above the RTX 3060 in raw performance and costs about the same so that might be a good alternative. The 6700XT is also a great choice, but it costs 70€ more so I might need to squeeze some stuff out. He doesn't need any additional storage as he'll most likely use his current drives so we can save money there.

How about the i7-13700K for the CPU then ? It's 20€ cheaper than the 7900X and seems to be quite a beast.

Again, thanks for all the help here ! I'm already seeing a pretty good path for this build.