Pocket Camera suggestion ?

YTTL

Newbie on photography , Watching LTT reviewing cameras reminds me of some old type of pocket camera.

Anyone still using pocket camera for convenient  ?

Looking a similarity with Canon IXUS lineup series which discontinued since 6-7 years ago.

The most common I would like for a pocket camera is the compact size dimension of  90 x 50 x 20 mm - 100 x 60 x 25 mm

The question is whether any other brand or model fits the dimension as pocket camera and the performance specification of the camera is same or better than Canon IXUS 285 HS ?

15 minutes ago, YTTL said:

Newbie on photography , Watching LTT reviewing cameras reminds me of some old type of pocket camera.

Anyone still using pocket camera for convenient  ?

Looking a similarity with Canon IXUS lineup series which discontinued since 6-7 years ago.

The most common I would like for a pocket camera is the compact size dimension of  90 x 50 x 20 mm - 100 x 60 x 25 mm

The question is whether any other brand or model fits the dimension as pocket camera and the performance specification of the camera is same or better than Canon IXUS 285 HS ?

For convenience, most people use their phone camera. The majority of mainstream phones (iPhone, pixel, galaxy, OnePlus, and Motorola Edge) the main shooters for those take some wonderful pictures and don't require an additional device to be carried around. 

(I have a feeling I'm missing a mainstream brand but can't for the life of me think of it)

That market has basically been abandoned bacause everyone just uses their phone, unfortunately anything recent in that form factor is pretty much garbage...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Unfortunately, your phone probably takes pictures as good as an older pocket point-and-shoot. 

Bridge cameras and entry level DSLRs on the other hand, will have better lenses and larger sensors than any phone. They just won't fit in your pocket.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Just to re-iterate what everyone here's saying;

There's no reason to get a compact, point-and-shoot camera. Modern smartphones have completely taken over the market with ease of use and picture quality. If you're only interested in straight-out-of-camera JPG images, then there's no reason to switch from a smartphone. If you're interested in experimenting with RAW photography color editing and recomposing shots, then the iPhone 14 Pro and a multitude of the high-megapixel Android phones will also suffice.

If you're seriously looking for great photo quality in a pocket-friendly body, your only option would be the Ricoh GRIII (APS-C sensor, no zoom).

If you're relying on jacket pockets, then the Sony RX100 series (1-inch sensor, can zoom) and the Fujifilm X100-series (APS-C sensor, no zoom) should be on your radar.

Otherwise, stay with your phone and just be more mindful of the shots you're taking. Don’t forget that people back then didn’t have the luxury of taking hundreds of shots of the same thing.

A better camera won't make you a better photographer.

Experiment with limiting yourself to tighter focal lengths. The main sensor on the iPhone is 24mm. This a very wide field of view and nothing looks flattering except for wide scenery shots, or close up shots of food.

At 2x zoom, you’re about 48mm which is very close to what the human eye sees. Try taking more photos at this focal length. It make take some adjustment because it’s a much tighter field of view, but the “subjects” you take pictures of will look significantly more flattering, and there will be more natural bokeh. This is precisely why “Portrait Mode” defaults to telephoto lens. This also similar to owning a “real camera” and using a “nifty fifty” as your main lens.

Edited by saint_louis_bagels
Clarification

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |