What to buy for Dell Precision T3500?

RadekXJ

Hi. My current gaming PC is Dell Precision T3500 with Xeon X5675, 24GB DDR3 RAM and GTX 660 on board. I've recently started playing Witcher III and even on low details it starts lagging on some sequences. The obvious bottleneck is the GTX 660, so I'm thinking about an upgrade. I've already changed the PSU to Corsair RM850X.

I've done some research and some forums said, that those Dell motherboards have problems with AMD GPUs. So I'm thinking NVidia again. And I would like the GPU to be feasable to take to my next PC (along with the PSU). Right now I'm thinking about getting a used RTX 3060 TI (Asus DUAL RTX 3060TI 8G BMINI V2 to be exact) at about 340$. Any other suggestions?

2 minutes ago, RadekXJ said:

Hi. My current gaming PC is Dell Precision T3500 with Xeon X5675, 24GB DDR3 RAM and GTX 660 on board. I've recently started playing Witcher III and even on low details it starts lagging on some sequences. The obvious bottleneck is the GTX 660, so I'm thinking about an upgrade. I've already changed the PSU to Corsair RM850X.

I've done some research and some forums said, that those Dell motherboards have problems with AMD GPUs. So I'm thinking NVidia again. And I would like the GPU to be feasable to take to my next PC (along with the PSU). Right now I'm thinking about getting a used RTX 3060 TI (Asus DUAL RTX 3060TI 8G BMINI V2 to be exact) at about 340$. Any other suggestions?

sounds good

Dont forget to mark as solution if your question is answered

Note: My advice is amateur help/beginner troubleshooting, someone else can probably troubleshoot way better than me.

- I do have some experience, and I can use google pretty well. - Feel free to quote me I may respond soon.

Join team Red, my apprentice

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:
Ryzen 7 5800X3DSapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX 24GB / ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming / Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 / Lian Li Dynamic Evo White Case / 2x16 GB Kingston FURY RAM / 2x 1TB Lexar 710 / iiYama 1440p 165HZ Montitor, iiYama 1080p 75Hz Monitor / Shure MV7 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo / GK61 Keyboard / Cooler Master MM712 (daily driver) Logitech G502-X (MMO mouse) / Soundcore Life Q20 w/ Arctis 3 w/ WF-1000XM3

CPU OC: -30 all cores @AutoGhz

GPU OC: 3Ghz Core 2750Mhz Memory w/ 25%W increase (460W)

Keep in mind that your cpu will also hold you back a lot as its simply old and weak

That info is about the radeon hd 6000 series that used a weird pcie version.

So irrelevant atm. For 340$ new a 6700xt is best you can do used probably a rx6800 mght happen.

Keep in mind all cards will be very held back by your old cpu so means you can crank up the settings all the way (the ones that dont impact cpu useage)

8 minutes ago, RadekXJ said:

Why would a mobo have more problems with one GPU brand or another, it doesn't even know what GPU is in ?

You could get a better AMD card for that money, or an equivalent card for less money

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

1 minute ago, PDifolco said:

Why would a mobo have more problems with one GPU brand or another, it doesn't even know what GPU is in ?

You could get a better AMD card for that money, or an equivalent card for less money

Radeon hd 6000 series had some cards use pcie 2.1 which was an issue for older boards. Makes sense it would come up on google as that was the time of this system over a decade ago.

Nowadays entirely irrelevant

Yep, I guess I found some info about HD 6000 issues with PCIE 2.1 and in my mind it transferred to all AMD cards. So you say RX 6700 XT should work just fine?

Just a disclaimer: I'm totally aware that when I change the GPU the bottlenecks will be obsolete PCIE bus, CPU and DDR3. But I plan to make a new build in a year or so, I'll just take the GPU, storage and PSU out of what I have. And this T3500 has been great value for money, given that it costed me under 150$ for the base unit, 90$ for the RAM and CPU upgrade, 45$ for GTX660 and 80$ for Corsair PSU all distributed over 6 years that I had it.

1 hour ago, RadekXJ said:

Yep, I guess I found some info about HD 6000 issues with PCIE 2.1 and in my mind it transferred to all AMD cards. So you say RX 6700 XT should work just fine?

Just a disclaimer: I'm totally aware that when I change the GPU the bottlenecks will be obsolete PCIE bus, CPU and DDR3. But I plan to make a new build in a year or so, I'll just take the GPU, storage and PSU out of what I have. And this T3500 has been great value for money, given that it costed me under 150$ for the base unit, 90$ for the RAM and CPU upgrade, 45$ for GTX660 and 80$ for Corsair PSU all distributed over 6 years that I had it.

Yup 6700xt new is best you can do have a looky at the used market too prices are going low low

I'd go with a RX 6750 XT  but it depends on the use case.

Specs: Ryzen 7 5700G w/ Wraith Prism(locked at 4.2 ghz)

32 GB(4x8) Kingston HyperX Predator 3200 MHZ CL 16 RAM

Asus Prime B550M-A Wi-Fi

3 SSD(250 nVME+480+250)

Cooler Master H500 w/ 750W +80 Bronze PSU

MSI GTX 670 Jurassic Park edition(i don't know the model name it is just as old as a dinosaur)

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, my RX 6700 XT just arrived and I have some conclusions:

No way in hell any modern GPU fits into Dell T3500's chasis. At least not in a closed one.

I've uninstalled NVIDIA drivers. Installed AMD. And Witcher III crashed as soon as I loaded my save. Multiple times, on multiple different settings. So I've put GTX 660 back in. 

I'm sending the AMD card back. When I'll do my next build I'll get another one, probably for less money. My conclusion - there is no point putting any more cash in this machine.