Is Dual SATA - 6 pin safe for use with a 1060

BlitzGod437

I'm planning on making a budget gaming pc and I m deciding on what card to get. Either a 1050 TI, 1650 or 1060. If I get a 1060, will it be safe to use that connector?

1 minute ago, BlitzGod437 said:

I'm planning on making a budget gaming pc and I m deciding on what card to get. Either a 1050 TI, 1650 or 1060. If I get a 1060, will it be safe to use that connector?

it will be safe but it might not be able to boost as high and get to its full performance 

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

No. Not at all

If your psu doesnt even have a 6pin connector it is ABSOLUTLY not made for powering that.

Also keep in mind a sata power cable from a psu is meant to do 45-55w of power and you are asking up to 75w of it which is a big nono

What psu is it? Make and model

Each sata connector is rated for 4.5A of current, or around 55 watts, but in reality I wouldn't trust it with more than 40w 

So a  2 x sata -> pci-e 6 / 8 pin  would in theory be good for around 110 watts, but if you use the much safer 40w per connector limit, you have only around 80w. 

A GTX 1060 consumes up to around 120 watts ... it consumes around 40-50w from the slot, and the rest through extra power connectors. So, it would probably work well with a 2 x sata -> pci-e 6/8 pin. 

1050ti is not worth it, too slow. 

1650 is fine 1080p card, a bit slower than rx 570/rx580 but consumes much less power ( 1650 is somewhere in the 80-90w, RX 570 in the 150-175w, rx580 up to around 225w) 

1660 Super goes to around 110w , 1660 and 1660ti maybe go up to around 135w

It's important to know how much power the psu can supply on 12v alone, as that's what powers the cpu and video card and fans. PSU has some wattage but some goes to 12v, some goes to 3.3v and 5v. 

If you go with a GTX 1060 , you need psu that can supply 120w for video card, maybe 50-80w for the cpu (depends on what you have, could be more), maybe 20w for fans and other things that use 12v ... so at least around 250 watts on the 12v output. Look on the label and multiply 12v with the current amount (value with A at the end)

Could you take a picture of the psu and its wattage table?

Important thing here is the 12v voltage as @mariushm said, youll want a single rail (multi rail suck ass) with enough wattage to power your entire system, id say 40a (480w) is enough for all the gpus youve mentioned, and in that case you should be ok to use a sata to 6 pin adapter, just make sure you get ones with decent quality and not firehazards thatll just melt and burn when even the tiniest amount of electricity goes through them

Btw what country, full system specs, and what budget for gpu? Polaris (rx 470/480 or 570/580) are the cheapest usually around 50$ used and perform somewhere inbetween a 1050ti and 1060, then theres gtx 1660 and 1070 which are abit better, and going above that theres used rx 5700 (xt) but thats just judging by my local used market here in indonesia

5 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Important thing here is the 12v voltage as @mariushm said, youll want a single rail (multi rail suck ass) with enough wattage to power your entire system, id say 40a (480w) is enough for all the gpus youve mentioned, and in that case you should be ok to use a sata to 6 pin adapter, just make sure you get ones with decent quality and not firehazards thatll just melt and burn when even the tiniest amount of electricity goes through them

Btw what country, full system specs, and what budget for gpu? Polaris (rx 470/480 or 570/580) are the cheapest usually around 50$ used and perform somewhere inbetween a 1050ti and 1060, then theres gtx 1660 and 1070 which are abit better, and going above that theres used rx 5700 (xt) but thats just judging by my local used market here in indonesia

I have a Dell Optiplex 7040 with an i5 6500, 8GB ddr4 2333 mHz ram, and just a SATA ssd that came with it. That's the current specs and I can't take a picture of the power supply rn as I'm not at home. I plan on upgrading the ram a bit and adding an M.2. SSD for a boot drive along with the graphics card

5 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Also I'm in canada