PC for engineering and some gaming in 1080p.

__mkhl__

Budget (including currency): 1000€ (can be changed)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Altium Designer, SolidWorks, VirtualBox, Emulation of Playstation2

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): Fractal Design Define R6, SSD Samsung 850 Evo, 10 years old bronze power supply 550W 🙂

Hello everyone 🙂

I wanted to ask for help in building a PC for work, sometimes for gaming in 1080p, and PS2 emulation.

I will be working with Altium Designer, using virtual machines for Windows and Linux (no more than one at a time). I also want to be able to do some work in SolidWorks.

I plan to use 2 monitors at 1080p. For the price, the Intel i5 13500 processor fits me. Another option is also possible, but it must have integrated graphics since I plan to purchase a graphics card later.

I would like to have at least 32GB of RAM and only use air cooling for the processor.

I need the build to be as reliable and stable as possible. I don't plan to overclock the processor. I need help choosing the motherboard, RAM, graphics card, and power supply. I already have the case, which is the Fractal Design Define R6. I would appreciate any advice and corrections.

Thanks 🙂

Can some of the Engineering programs use GPU acceleration?  And if yes do they use CUDA (Nvidea) or OpenGL?

If AMD works for the GPU this would be a viable option 

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pt.pcpartpicker.com/list/ZDghfv  

CPU: Intel Core i5-13500 2.5 GHz 14-Core Processor  (€284.90 @ Globaldata) 
CPU Cooler: Deepcool AK620 68.99 CFM CPU Cooler  (€65.97 @ PC Componentes) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B760 DS3H DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  (€137.64 @ PC Componentes) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory  (€90.90 @ PCDIGA) 
Storage: Kingston NV2 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  (€58.31 @ PC Componentes) 
Video Card: XFX Speedster QICK 308 ULTRA Radeon RX 6650 XT 8 GB Video Card  (€315.02 @ PC Componentes) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic Core GC 650 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  (€64.90 @ PCDIGA) 
Total: €1017.64
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-03-19 16:44 WET+0000

for engineering programs nvidia is very nearly always favorable since most engineering software is designed for use with them

1 hour ago, _Omega_ said:

Can some of the Engineering programs use GPU acceleration?  And if yes do they use CUDA (Nvidea) or OpenGL?

Yes, Altium uses general-purpose APIs like OpenGL and DirectX for GPU acceleration.

2 hours ago, _Omega_ said:

If AMD works for the GPU this would be a viable option 

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pt.pcpartpicker.com/list/ZDghfv  

CPU: Intel Core i5-13500 2.5 GHz 14-Core Processor  (€284.90 @ Globaldata) 
CPU Cooler: Deepcool AK620 68.99 CFM CPU Cooler  (€65.97 @ PC Componentes) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B760 DS3H DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  (€137.64 @ PC Componentes) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory  (€90.90 @ PCDIGA) 
Storage: Kingston NV2 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  (€58.31 @ PC Componentes) 
Video Card: XFX Speedster QICK 308 ULTRA Radeon RX 6650 XT 8 GB Video Card  (€315.02 @ PC Componentes) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic Core GC 650 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  (€64.90 @ PCDIGA) 
Total: €1017.64
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-03-19 16:44 WET+0000

Thank you very much for your help. 

18 minutes ago, __mkhl__ said:

Yes, Altium uses general-purpose APIs like OpenGL and DirectX for GPU acceleration.

If they use openGL and DricetX then AMD should work fine as well and the RX6650XT is better than even the 3060 while beeing cheaper