Watercooling 1080ti in 2023

AMKKAM
Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,
Spoiler

As the heading says, I am still in Pascal gen.

Let me start with the rig. I have a 9900K along with a Zotac 1080TI mini. In the near future, I may purchase a 4090ti or XTX 7900 with the 7950X Ryzen.

So,
Option 1: Water cooling I have a Kraken G12 already. I'm thinking about getting a Deepcool Lt520 for the core and a copper heatsink from Alphacool for the vram and mosfet, along with changing all the thermal pads and a big aluminum heatsink for the backplate.

Option 2: air cooling with the heatsink that came with the GPU, just changing the thermal pads, and then a big aluminum heatsink as a backplate.

or just wait for the new system. Can't decide

For the dark mode folks

For OP, just wait for a new system, upgrading the cooling on that card isn't gonna help all that much. Repaste the GPU and possibly repad it if you feel like it, but doing much more than that is kind of a waste for a 1080 Ti. For the amount you'd spend on that upgrade you could sell the card and upgrade to a 6700XT instead, a card that would perform noticeably better. 

Let me start with the rig. I have a 9900K along with a Zotac 1080TI mini. In the near future, I may purchase a 4090ti or XTX 7900 with the 7950X Ryzen.

So,
Option 1: Water cooling I have a Kraken G12 already. I'm thinking about getting a Deepcool Lt520 for the core and a copper heatsink from Alphacool for the vram and mosfet, along with changing all the thermal pads and a big aluminum heatsink for the backplate.

Option 2: air cooling with the heatsink that came with the GPU, just changing the thermal pads, and then a big aluminum heatsink as a backplate.

Spoiler

So,

For the dark mode folks

For OP, just wait for a new system, upgrading the cooling on that card isn't gonna help all that much. Repaste the GPU and possibly repad it if you feel like it, but doing much more than that is kind of a waste for a 1080 Ti. For the amount you'd spend on that upgrade you could sell the card and upgrade to a 6700XT instead, a card that would perform noticeably better. 

Genuinely dont bother with it, its simply not worth it. Dont change the pads, just replace the thermal paste. G12 Bracket crap really doesnt work well with most AIOS since their not designed to work with it, most have moved away from that specific mounting system. Some can still kind of work, but most wont so that bracket wont work.

9 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:
  Hide contents

So,

For the dark mode folks

Hi, thanks for the respond. Honestly i was thinking the same, just want to be sure.
when you say 'upgrading the cooling on that card isn't gonna help all that much.' you mean in today's application in general the 1080ti is not gonna perform that different?
but would you say if i upgrade cooling in 1080ti in either AiO or air, the life spam of the card will be better?

43 minutes ago, AMKKAM said:

you mean in today's application in general the 1080ti is not gonna perform that different?

Yes

44 minutes ago, AMKKAM said:

but would you say if i upgrade cooling in 1080ti in either AiO or air, the life spam of the card will be better?

Nope. It'll end up within margin of error most likely.