I need a laptop for some software development and writing

Hello, I am a computer science major. The workloads I encounter on a daily basis are not demanding. The usual workloads I encounter are the following: logic simulation, light c++ developing (vscode), some very light gpt training in Python, and writing.
I don't really care about bloatware or any suspicious windows installations as I use Kali linux.
I pretty much do not care if it has a gpu or not, integrated graphics is fine. I do not want a powerful machine (I use my desktop for most ai applications.) I also would like a keyboard with either with some of cherry's mico mechanical switches or some Kailh choc's.

Battery life would not be super important.
If anyone has any recommendations I would love to hear. Used laptops would be fine as well. Thanks for your time! 
note: under $300 would be ideal (used or unused)

So you need not heaps of power, nor all day battery life, you don't want to spend more than a few hundred dollars, and you're looking for a good keyboard and cursor input. Allow me to introduce you to the world of retired business laptops. 

You have three big options. Thinkpad, Dell Latitude, and HP Elitebook.

Thinkpads used to be made by IBM, but the product line was sold to Lenovo as of the X61. They're famous for their 3 button trackpoint, curved key caps, BIOS modability, and Linux support. There's a very strong nerd culture behind classic Thinkpads. One of the weird things about Thinkpads is the switched Ctrl and Fn key placement. That may or may not be annoying to you. Thinkpads tend to put function over form for aesthetics. But a lot of people still love the look of a pre-40 series Thinkpad.

Dell Latitudes are my personal favorite, mainly because that's what I grew up with. Latitudes can come with either a 3 button trackpoint, 2 button trackpoint, or even no trackpoint. They tend to put more effort into the touchpad experience. The BIOS modding scene isn't really there, but Linux compatability tends to be really good. Stylistically, Latitudes tend to be black, grey, blue, and more minimal than Thinkpads. 

HP Elitebooks I admitedly don't know a whole lot about other than they have great style. Typically a minimal metalic grey and matte black color scheme. Elitebooks also tend to have a better touchpad experience than Thinkpads. A lot of the older ones have a pop-out light on the display bezel to light the keyboard in the dark. And I have yet to see one without a fingerprint reader. Overall a solid and fairly popular option. The Chevy Silverado of laptops. 

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

Thank you! I was considering a Dell Latitude with a fingerprint reader and card scanner. Seems like a pretty decent option for me, thank you! (the Latitude 7480 is what I was looking at as it seems to be pretty decent and has an extra ram slot and an unused e key slot, I will be using this for a software defined radio)

Thanks for your reply, going to look at the Elitebooks.