Need help with RAM speeds

MtSkift

So I just recently bought a kit of Dominator Platinum DDR5 6000 Mt/s CL30 but when I installed it and enabled its XMP 1 or 2 profiles, it causes crashing when under load (Games and Benchmarks alike). I can run it just fine on the desktop. For now I have had to resort to running XMP 1 with the speed set to 5600, it seems to run fine with it that way. I am using a 4080 w/ a 13900KS so does anyone know why my computer isn't stable when running my RAM over 5600?

What motherboard are you using, what BIOS revision are you on, and what RAM slots do you have the sticks installed in?

5 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

What motherboard are you using, what BIOS revision are you on, and what RAM slots do you have the sticks installed in?

I am using a TUF z790 Plus Wifi with the sticks in A2 and B2 (Slots farthest away from the CPU), I recently flashed the most recent BIOS version, think its 0812.

4 hours ago, MtSkift said:

I am using a TUF z790 Plus Wifi with the sticks in A2 and B2 (Slots farthest away from the CPU), I recently flashed the most recent BIOS version, think its 0812.

I would try to reseat the memory, mounting pressure has an impact on memory stability with DDR5, but I'd assume that the most likely cause is that the board isn't setting the memory controller voltages correctly. Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with that board so I don't really know how it likes voltages to be set (12/13th gen memory voltages sweet spot depending on the BIOS revision, board, CPU, and to some degree memory frequency, so I can't just send you the memory settings I run and expect them to work for you), so I don't know values that should be decent on that board. If I could guess based off how other ASUS boards behave, something like System Agent 1V, IVR Transmitter voltage 1.4V, and Memory Controller voltage 1.3V should probably be OK, but you will need to play around with them to see if you can get it to work. 

Also, use a stress test like Y cruncher VST to verify that the memory is actually stable, this stresses the memory controller and is more or less a stress test for the max frequency. 

4 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I would try to reseat the memory, mounting pressure has an impact on memory stability with DDR5, but I'd assume that the most likely cause is that the board isn't setting the memory controller voltages correctly. Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with that board so I don't really know how it likes voltages to be set (12/13th gen memory voltages sweet spot depending on the BIOS revision, board, CPU, and to some degree memory frequency, so I can't just send you the memory settings I run and expect them to work for you), so I don't know values that should be decent on that board. If I could guess based off how other ASUS boards behave, something like System Agent 1V, IVR Transmitter voltage 1.4V, and Memory Controller voltage 1.3V should probably be OK, but you will need to play around with them to see if you can get it to work. 

Also, use a stress test like Y cruncher VST to verify that the memory is actually stable, this stresses the memory controller and is more or less a stress test for the max frequency. 

Okay, I appreciate your help. If you or anyone else can figure out or knows what I should run the voltages at for that board and RAM then please let me know.

12 minutes ago, MtSkift said:

Okay, I appreciate your help. If you or anyone else can figure out or knows what I should run the voltages at for that board and RAM then please let me know.

To be fair, it's very much specific to the board you own. The settings for my Unify-X will are very much not optimal for the vast majority of other people with that board (going off posts with the settings people have found to be stable on other forums), and in reality it is just something you kinda need to figure out. The settings I listed from everything I've seen with ASUS boards should be pretty close to optimal, so might as well give it a shot, but you will have to tweak them yourself to see what works and what doesn't.