GPU fans twitch and no video

I was using an external PSU to power my GTX 1070 FTW on a non standard HP office desktop.

It was working for about 3 months and suddenly the GPU fans start twitching periodically without a video signal on any of the monitors.

However the PC boots into windows and I was able to see video through the integrated graphics. 

The GPU is not listed in device manager as well.

The way I connected the PSU is using the pcie 6+2 pin and the green & black wires on the 24pin of the external PSU are shorted intentionally to jump start it. 

I can confirm that the PCIE slot itself is working as I have another GPU GTX 1650 and it works.

is it possible that the PSU is the issue here or the GPU?

it casually works for a few seconds when left turned off for several hours.

actually no, this exact thing happened before and I replaced the power supply. But now that it's happening again after two months, I'm worried that another PSU will fail soon for a reason I couldn't find out yet

is shorting the PSU_ON & GND on the 24pin has any major effect on the PSU?

That is a symptom of one of the protections built into the psu, like over current, under current etc..... getting tripped for some reason. If the safetys like that go off the psu will shut itself down and halt it restarting for 10 mins or so at least. You can force the restart of it but its tripping for a reason and its best to figure it out before it pops and ruins something else down the line by accident.