How to test a monitor in order to ascertain the quality of the screen?

ink555

Hi, I have used PassMark MonitorTest to ascertain the quality of the screen, but explanations of some of the tests were vague. I couldn't figure out what my screen should look like in some tests. Can somebody recommend me a method by which I can test my screen thoroughly? 

Generally? You cant.  Everything has a frame of reference for monitors, if you dont have a frame of reference or a Monitor that is already color corrected and such, its quite hard to do a test and have it do anything worth while.

Usually you will need a tool like a Monitor Calibration tool, and they get expensive pretty fast. Some of the Lower priced ones are around 100-250$ and they get the job done for an every day user, but again thats usually the price of some peoples monitors and that alone will make it quite challenging. 

Unless you know what they should be, or have something to compare it too, its quite hard. You can do frame busters for Framerate and response time checks and such, but besides basic stuff you wont have much luck. Unless you find someone that has used your monitor and has exact settings you can copy paste.

19 minutes ago, ink555 said:

Hi, I have used PassMark MonitorTest to ascertain the quality of the screen, but explanations of some of the tests were vague. I couldn't figure out what my screen should look like in some tests. Can somebody recommend me a method by which I can test my screen thoroughly? 

You can't evaluate GtG response time or color calibration through software...

Look at reviews, the guys do have video/color testing material

The one with the most monitor stuff is maybe RTings

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

37 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Unless you find someone that has used your monitor and has exact settings you can copy paste.

Even then, that wont account for panel to panel variance or worse, a manufacturer that uses completely different panels at random in the same model.

The only real option is to choose a model which claims to be pre-calibrated at the factory, or at least reviewed as being decently calibrated out of the box.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

21 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Even then, that wont account for panel to panel variance or worse, a manufacturer that uses completely different panels at random in the same model.

The only real option is to choose a model which claims to be pre-calibrated at the factory, or at least reviewed as being decently calibrated out of the box.

21 hours ago, PDifolco said:

You can't evaluate GtG response time or color calibration through software...

Look at reviews, the guys do have video/color testing material

The one with the most monitor stuff is maybe RTings

21 hours ago, Shimejii said:

Generally? You cant.  Everything has a frame of reference for monitors, if you dont have a frame of reference or a Monitor that is already color corrected and such, its quite hard to do a test and have it do anything worth while.

Usually you will need a tool like a Monitor Calibration tool, and they get expensive pretty fast. Some of the Lower priced ones are around 100-250$ and they get the job done for an every day user, but again thats usually the price of some peoples monitors and that alone will make it quite challenging. 

Unless you know what they should be, or have something to compare it too, its quite hard. You can do frame busters for Framerate and response time checks and such, but besides basic stuff you wont have much luck. Unless you find someone that has used your monitor and has exact settings you can copy paste.

If that's the case, can you recommend me a way to test my monitor to see if it has any defects such as dead pixels, backlight bleeding, etc? 

7 minutes ago, ink555 said:

If that's the case, can you recommend me a way to test my monitor to see if it has any defects such as dead pixels, backlight bleeding, etc? 

Dead pixels is easy, fill the screen with all white, black, red, green then blue - see if all the pixels are consistently the colour they should be.  A stuck/dead pixel/sub-pixel will stick out like a sore thumb.

Also while on full black you should be able to see backlight bleed, but bear in mind some backlight bleed is absolutely normal and its unlikely to be consistent either.  Its really if it bothers you and if you you're having to ask how to look for it then the best advise is DON'T go looking for it.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

Just now, ink555 said:

Well that's from personal observation 

Dead pixels : load a full white image and check if there's still black pixels

Backlight bleeding : can be seen using a full medium blue screen or such, and check if image has an uniform lighting or not

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

7 minutes ago, ink555 said:

Solid Color screen test. Go though all the colors and see. My monitor has 1 Red pixel when it has a full white screen, and a few others with different colors. Backlight bleeding is just black screen.

There's also backlight uniformity which is the reverse of backlight bleed, some parts will be lit brighter or tinted differently to others.  Again you're unlikely to get a 100% consistent backlight across the whole screen so its personal preference at what point it bothers you, its never going to be perfect.