I Make Questionable Choices Sometimes...

Plouffe

Linus hasn't gone all AMD in YEARS, but now that AM5 and RDNA 3 are here it's time for a change. There's just a few problems to sort out first, like the RAID card he HAD to use, and the custom loop that has already changed since he built it.

Buy a SABRENT Rocket Q 8TB NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD: https://geni.us/tdXA5bT

Buy an AMD Ryzen 9 7950X Processor: https://geni.us/ckNIPUm

Buy an ASRock X670E PG Lightning Motherboard: https://geni.us/59ITB

Buy an EK-Quantum Velocity2 D-RGB AM5 Full Nickel Water Block: https://geni.us/oLDB

Check out the EK-Quantum Vector² RX 7900 XTX D-RGB AMD Radeon Edition: https://lmg.gg/kpxSJ

Buy an ASRock Thunderbolt 4 AIC: https://geni.us/xZK5cE7

Buy an OWC 10G Ethernet PCIe Network Adapter Expansion Card: https://geni.us/uLQjd

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

Linus' next upgrade: from 8TB Sabrent drive to a RAID1 of 16TB U.2 drives using a dual U.2-to-PCIe gen 4 adapter:

Thx Wendell!

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

I recall an earlier video basically swearing to only use Intel 10Gb NICs. The OWC being used is Marvell. Any particular reason besides it being 1x PCIe?

What rack case is Linus using? I'm looking to get a rack case for my desktop and move things into that... 

22 minutes ago, Roshambob said:

What rack case is Linus using? I'm looking to get a rack case for my desktop and move things into that... 

It's a one-off custom design. Not available to the public.

6 minutes ago, RedAV8R said:

It's a one-off custom design. Not available to the public.

Dang! Lol, I just want a rack case that is short enough to fit in my network rack >.< lol

2 hours ago, Plouffe said:

Buy a SABRENT Rocket Q 8TB NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD: https://geni.us/tdXA5bT

I narrowly avoided this by asking the guys building my system at Digital Storm what the PCIe lane situation was given the other cards in the system. They headed me off pretty quickly and prevented a wasteful buy. Moving from workstation platforms at (former) work to gaming systems (at home) has been a bit of an adventure, but I appreciated the research they put into it before i wasted too much time and money.

1 hour ago, Dutch_Master said:

Linus' next upgrade: from 8TB Sabrent drive to a RAID1 of 16TB U.2 drives using a dual U.2-to-PCIe gen 4 adapter:

linus upgrade to stack of exadrives

1 hour ago, Roshambob said:

Dang! Lol, I just want a rack case that is short enough to fit in my network rack >.< lol

silverstone make cases that can be rack mounted with a kit they also sell. Look into the Grandia series, any of the GD7 - GD11 are compatible from the looks of it.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I still don't know why Linus uses Thunderbolt when he's also using optical displayport and usb cables. I personally have a very similar setup to his and I don't even use thunderbolt and have no idea what it's benefits would be.

Also Windows software RAID is HORRIBLE I'm suprised it actually worked so well for him for so long.

44 minutes ago, 10leej said:

I still don't know why linux uses Thunderbolt

Because he makes questionable choices sometimes 🤪

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

The screw on the block that got ripped off just made me feel pain. But I guess that's a problem for future linus to handle, or that board will forever be with a watercooled 7950X.

What were the problems you faced running a Thread-ripper on your home computer?

What type of NAND is the new drive he put in? QLC? Aren't those pretty bad?

this needs to be the ltt media tag line!!!!

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

Timely video as I've am researching my next build for AM5, and I'm stunned at the Asrock Mobo choice here (especially when money is pretty-much no object).

Also I'm surprisingly sticker-shocked at current Gigabyte / Asus X670E pricing at nearly double the Asrock.

So the question is - what is Asrock skipping out on that Gigabyte / Asus are doing (besides built-in TB4?), quality? I haven't built a PC for awhile, and my last builds have been rock solid from Asus/Gigabtye, so I saw no reason to buck the trend until this LTT video. I honestly was thinking of going with B650E because why would I even look at an Asrock?

At 252 for the Asrock PG or 280 for the Asrock X670E Pro they really look like a steal compared to Gigabyte/Asus boards ... what am I missing?

2 hours ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

The screw on the block that got ripped off just made me feel pain. But I guess that's a problem video for future linus to handle, or that board will forever be with a watercooled 7950X.

Fixed that for you 😉 Just like half of this video basically.

There aren't many subjects that benefit from binary takes on them in a discussion.

26 minutes ago, Exit7568 said:

Timely video as I've am researching my next build for AM5, and I'm stunned at the Asrock Mobo choice here (especially when money is pretty-much no object).

Also I'm surprisingly sticker-shocked at current Gigabyte / Asus X670E pricing at nearly double the Asrock.

So the question is - what is Asrock skipping out on that Gigabyte / Asus are doing (besides built-in TB4?), quality? I haven't built a PC for awhile, and my last builds have been rock solid from Asus/Gigabtye, so I saw no reason to buck the trend until this LTT video. I honestly was thinking of going with B650E because why would I even look at an Asrock?

At 252 for the Asrock PG or 280 for the Asrock X670E Pro they really look like a steal compared to Gigabyte/Asus boards ... what am I missing?

Why not look at ASrock besides brand loyalty? As far as I know ASrock has been a pretty solid reliable brand for years. But more importantly, don't fixate on brands alone. Of course, it is important that a brand has a good reputation for support (updating the bios, etc). However, what is more important is the actual board you are buying and also for reputable brands it is possible release a product that just doesn't stand up as well compared to their other products. So what you really want to look at is if the board has the specifications you are looking for in combination with reliable reviews about things like power delivery (vrm performance).

There aren't many subjects that benefit from binary takes on them in a discussion.

Am I missing something, or wouldn't it have been better to use the 3.0 header for a front panel port and use a real 2.0 port for the card?

6 hours ago, AnotherDumbKid said:

What were the problems you faced running a Thread-ripper on your home computer?

My guess is only a few games being able to take advantage of 24 cores/48threads effectively.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

5 hours ago, xnamkcor said:

Am I missing something, or wouldn't it have been better to use the 3.0 header for a front panel port and use a real 2.0 port for the card?

Since Linus' computer is in a rack in his basement, nobody is going to use any front panel ports. All USB2 headers were populated, so the rationale was probably: who cares?  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

17 hours ago, Plouffe said:

Buy an ASRock X670E PG Lightning Motherboard:

I wonder why you didn't use the Asus ProArt X670E? It comes with TB4 and 10G (Marvell) onboard. The only downside would have been the lack of a second DP input, but the second TB4 port on the motherboard is connected to the integrated graphics, so it should work with minor performance losses.

Can't help but notice the diagram was misinterpreted, the top M.2 slot is connected directly to the CPU.

image.thumb.png.dcac034837788024f402fa67a1d9f426.png

9 hours ago, HenrySalayne said:

I wonder why you didn't use the Asus ProArt X670E? It comes with TB4 and 10G (Marvell) onboard

ASUS doesn't provide a diagram as above and may have connected those through the chipset.

On 3/13/2023 at 9:03 PM, 10leej said:

I still don't know why Linus uses Thunderbolt when he's also using optical displayport and usb cables. I personally have a very similar setup to his and I don't even use thunderbolt and have no idea what it's benefits would be.

Hey, I wonder what setup you are rocking with

I personally tried to make the same setup by adding a TITAN ridge AIC into my x570 board but turns out gigabytes' Titan ridge build handshake by power, which cannot be transferred through. So I'm back to 0 and start looking for other solutions. 

I looked into Linus's optical USB dock and cables which are super expensive. So I'm just wondering if there are other options.

Anything is appreciated! 

On 3/16/2023 at 5:12 PM, Puertea said:

Hey, I wonder what setup you are rocking with

I personally tried to make the same setup by adding a TITAN ridge AIC into my x570 board but turns out gigabytes' Titan ridge build handshake by power, which cannot be transferred through. So I'm back to 0 and start looking for other solutions. 

I looked into Linus's optical USB dock and cables which are super expensive. So I'm just wondering if there are other options.

Anything is appreciated! 

I'm using a bog standard USB 3 hub

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JM9ZFFV?psc=1

Using this cable

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MM2VQ7V?psc=1

It's just USB 3.0 which means I only get 5GBps but honestly that's plenty fast enough for me.

For display I'm using these displayport to hdmi cables since me screens aren't high refresh rate in the first place.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005RIRQ8Y?psc=1

overall the setup has been pretty solid, I even use this dongle to wireless power my machine on, tradeoff is thats it's 2.4GHz so it's like 99% reliable. Which is plenty enough for me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0859PKPKT?psc=1

No thunderbolt needed, tradeoff is I'm using 4 wires (3 display 1 USB) instead of one.

For audio I'm using a standard USB audio interface

On 3/14/2023 at 7:23 PM, TechnicallyIncorrect said:

Can't help but notice the diagram was misinterpreted, the top M.2 slot is connected directly to the CPU.

image.thumb.png.dcac034837788024f402fa67a1d9f426.png

ASUS doesn't provide a diagram as above and may have connected those through the chipset.

I recently learned this while trying shop around and plan out my build. It makes it super hard. In the video they tell you check the block diagram but Asus does not have one. And there PCI lanes info is on a random site that is super difficult to decipher vs a BLOCK DIAGRAM!

If LTT could pressure ASUS to put block diagrams in there manuals that would be amazing @Plouffe Or just call them out big time next sponsored ASUS motherboard video. 

I am sort of tempted to just make my own but would not be for sure on certain things and that would be a lot of work.