What’s Inside Valve’s Prototype STEAM Console?

Valve’s Steam Machine was their first game console, and we’ve got a prototype! But it’s broken… Can we fix it? And if we can, should we, or should we have left it in the past?

Donate to Free Geek Twin Cities: https://www.freegeektwincities.org/donate

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

As long as the repair is reversible, to preserve any future value of the unit, I'm OK with repairing it 🙂

But, it's not mine!

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

Seeing the Steam Machine prototype was a surprise, but a welcomed one. With that said, I would hope you guys could dig into it on a bit different angle though.

I remembered that some reviews (though I have hard time finding which ones) noted the temperature issues with the CPUs (there were 84W TDP i5 and i7 configurations afaik) and we have had tested the CNPS2X cooler (the one included in Steam Machine prototype) when we were working on the Sentry and it barely could take on 65W TDP Skylake i7 while still boasting 120W dissipation in its specs. Those 120W TDP could have been fair for Core2Quad/Extreme generations for example, but on Core i5/i7 seemed to be a different story.

Seeing how they managed the GPU bracket with hammering it down (which I think wasn't the case with samples provided to the media that seem to have had custom made brackets) going yolo with that CNPS2X just by the spec and realising later that it's lacking, might not have been that big of a stretch.

Anyway, back to the point, we know that Valve was right about the system and inputs and they made it through with it and showed it in the steam deck, but I feel like this video should have been about the case and cooling itself. Even if the included GPU is faulty, you could put the system in the same configuration with cards and motherboard from your own stock and run it through the thermal tests (on windows) that you would have done back in when it was made. It could be a blast from the past episode when it comes to games tested, but more importantly an insight on how it actually performed thermally, because that's the statement they wanted to make, that such system packed in such small enclosure can perform well.

Hey! Finally a video I actually have some hands on experience with, for once.

I was one of the 300 testers, I still have my box and the case for the Steam Machine, but I had to part it out because the SFX PSU died and I was using the Steam Machine as my primary PC, SFX PSUs were not cheap, so I ended up doing a case transfer with it. That led me to the issue you guys talked about in the video, the rear plate for the GPU. My 780 was listed as a Zotac model, so I  actually got into contact with a couple of people over there, who were more than willing to send me the bracket for the 780 so I could use it in a normal case. 

There were some units made like this that were actually sent to game devs for testing/dev purposes, but the "300" units sent to the mostly randomly selected people and were sent in heavy wooden crates (photo 1),each have a small engraving on the lid of one of the specific vent holes, as there were 300 of them, the mark indicated which number machine you had, I believe mine was unit 094. (photo 2) I couldn't see the mark too well in your video, but you appear to have gotten one of the 300 beta units sent to a person.

A couple of other things mentioned in the video: We were encouraged to open up the Steam Machine, even if you received one of these, doing any sort of reporting or actual testing was not required at all. I was involved with a Jira forum they gave us access to, to report any issues, but otherwise Valve was extremely hands off. I remember being told something to the effect of.. "the Steam Machine remains property of Valve, but it is yours to do with as you wish". This included some people who installed Windows on it immediately. Also, there was some thought given to a little upgrading, because the mount for the drives (photo 4) had an additional SATA power and Data cable routed to it, I expanded my Steam Machine with a 256GB SSD, but my model and many other testers came with a 1TB Seagate SSHD 2.5" drive. The whole top cover can be removed with only a single philips, they definitely didn't try to deter anyone from opening it up.

As far the layout of the GPU goes, it originally came with a plastic top cover piece (photo 3), but the vast majority of testers I know actually removed it for far better thermals, but it would technically press fit against the GPU power cables and keep them in place that way.

(I also still have the original SteamOS recovery stick that came with mine, if you want me to dump it or send it to LTT staff, let me know!)

Here's a full imgur album I made when I received mine: https://imgur.com/gallery/5bnyi

20230225_133340.jpg

20230225_133348.jpg

20230225_133703.jpg

20230225_133712.jpg

14 minutes ago, Eric said:

Hey! Finally a video I actually have some hands on experience with, for once.

I was one of the 300 testers, I still have my box and the case for the Steam Machine, but I had to part it out because the SFX PSU died and I was using the Steam Machine as my primary PC, SFX PSUs were not cheap, so I ended up doing a case transfer with it. That led me to the issue you guys talked about in the video, the rear plate for the GPU. My 780 was listed as a Zotac model, so I  actually got into contact with a couple of people over there, who were more than willing to send me the bracket for the 780 so I could use it in a normal case. 

There were some units made like this that were actually sent to game devs for testing/dev purposes, but the "300" units sent to the mostly randomly selected people and were sent in heavy wooden crates (photo 1),each have a small engraving on the lid of one of the specific vent holes, as there were 300 of them, the mark indicated which number machine you had, I believe mine was unit 094. (photo 2) I couldn't see the mark too well in your video, but you appear to have gotten one of the 300 beta units sent to a person.

A couple of other things mentioned in the video: We were encouraged to open up the Steam Machine, even if you received one of these, doing any sort of reporting or actual testing was not required at all. I was involved with a Jira forum they gave us access to, to report any issues, but otherwise Valve was extremely hands off. I remember being told something to the effect of.. "the Steam Machine remains property of Valve, but it is yours to do with as you wish". This included some people who installed Windows on it immediately. Also, there was some thought given to a little upgrading, because the mount for the drives (photo 4) had an additional SATA power and Data cable routed to it, I expanded my Steam Machine with a 256GB SSD, but my model and many other testers came with a 1TB Seagate SSHD 2.5" drive. The whole top cover can be removed with only a single philips, they definitely didn't try to deter anyone from opening it up.

As far the layout of the GPU goes, it originally came with a plastic top cover piece (photo 3), but the vast majority of testers I know actually removed it for far better thermals, but it would technically press fit against the GPU power cables and keep them in place that way.

(I also still have the original SteamOS recovery stick that came with mine, if you want me to dump it or send it to LTT staff, let me know!)

Here's a full imgur album I made when I received mine: https://imgur.com/gallery/5bnyi

Can you tell us how were the thermals on that CNPS2X versus whatever the CPU you had in that thing?

Also you should definitely give share the recovery stick with LTT, the comparison between them and now would be cool, but I wonder if that system would still be supported by steam.

4 minutes ago, SaperPL said:

Also you should definitely give share the recovery stick with LTT, the comparison between them and now would be cool, but I wonder if that system would still be supported by steam.

Even better, image it and throw a copy up on archive.org if it's not already there!

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

10 minutes ago, SaperPL said:

Can you tell us how were the thermals on that CNPS2X versus whatever the CPU you had in that thing?

I was in a chat group people on Steam to discuss the machines amongst ourselves, I believe we had over 120+ people confirmed with the same config: Intel Core i5 4570, 16GB of RAM, 1TB Seagate SSHD and Zotac reference GTX 780. I too remember hearing that were were supposed to be higher and lower end models, but I hadn't seen or heard about any of those from other testers. As far the CPU thermals go, they were completely fine, I don't recall specific numbers but it was well within what I would consider comfortable range for CPUs of that generation, the GPU is what struggled the most. with the plastic shroud cover on top, it would very easily idle at 60-65c with a fan speed usually in the 30-40% range and any gaming load promising it would hit 80c with a very particularly noisy fan, given that it was a blower style.

20 minutes ago, Eric said:

I was in a chat group people on Steam to discuss the machines amongst ourselves, I believe we had over 120+ people confirmed with the same config: Intel Core i5 4570, 16GB of RAM, 1TB Seagate SSHD and Zotac reference GTX 780. I too remember hearing that were were supposed to be higher and lower end models, but I hadn't seen or heard about any of those from other testers. As far the CPU thermals go, they were completely fine, I don't recall specific numbers but it was well within what I would consider comfortable range for CPUs of that generation, the GPU is what struggled the most. with the plastic shroud cover on top, it would very easily idle at 60-65c with a fan speed usually in the 30-40% range and any gaming load promising it would hit 80c with a very particularly noisy fan, given that it was a blower style.

As per CPU - that's interesting. Shows that the shaped shroud/funnel and 22nm on the CPUs made it work. Or maybe the GPU being the bottleneck made it not that big of a problem? 

As per GPU thermals though - wasn't it like one of the first generations with turbo aiming to hit those 80c and boost as much as possible, so the question is what were the clocks in comparison to having this card in the full tower case. 60-65 degrees at idle seems like it did struggle there thermally.

Even few years after I had been treated as an asshole for pointing out that some SFF case projects were promoting low temps on the GPUs while they should have already be showing the clocks at the specified temps, and the reason was that we had problems with flexible risers bottlenecking things and so many people didn't realise that, and just thought they had figured out a silver bullet for thermals.

I remember this time so fondly despite my huge disappointment. 

Steam machines failed imho cuz they were money grabbing one offs, 3rd parties didnt want to make an actual PC/console hybrid (e.g in the same way they got into laptop making or phone making) but were like "Hey young man wonna get into the hype train and get a super duper cewl STEAM MACHINE?"  "well then you have to pay 3K for a piece of sh1t with an mid grade graphics card" ps back then prices started to get higher but they were nowhere near as ridiculous as nowadays so 3K for a PC with an midgrade GPU wasnt the norm but rather only a "steam machine thing" 

I remember reserving a cool domain cant remember exactly but something like steambox.com or something like that and had in mind to actually make custom mini PCs that were cheap and took advantage of the ability of AMD integrated graphics to crossfire with some entry lvl AMD GPUs (which would allow for low cost solutions and better thermals for a tight mini itx formfactor)  but I was waiting for the next gen of that +DX12 was lurking around with all the brand and engine agnostic multi gpu rendering promises, because what was currently there although promising wasnt that good for me to pony up my savings and start a business based on the entire "steam machine" deal I wanted first to be sure that the PCs I would make wouldnt suck at gaming not just be cheap, but then AMD dropped support for that and in the same timeframe steam machines died out so I was left with the domain (which also expired years ago I think ) lol .

3 hours ago, Eric said:

I wasn't part of that group but I was part of the people trying to get their hands on one. All machines were the same, though there was an idea that we'd get 3 ranges of spec machines in it (i3, i5, i7). Though as can be seen, only 1 config ever got made formally for testers.

For what it's worth, like with Stadia, I also saved a number of things for this machine in case I ever got one and I almost did too but lost it to an ebay bot. I've gone ahead and thrown some of the old installers I've saved from a while back onto archive.org in case anyone wants em. I know there's some I don't have, but I think the effort counts. I also cant guarantee it will fix the issues LMG had with theirs, since that sounds like hardware failure to me, but if they feel like giving it another swing or 5: 

https://archive.org/details/steamos-archive 

Edit: I'd like a backup of that recovery USB if you're up for it.

Some images of the white body prototypes, including the listing I almost got. You'll notice, the drilled hole is missing, which signified its 1 of 300 IDs. There were for sure more than 300 of these, but for the beta program, it was 300, which makes that ebay listing I lost all the more interesting as it looks to be a prototype top mixed with the beta's bottom.

624382.jpg.df4883635929c82b2e7a2282f5657f19.jpgValve-Steam-machine-prototype-1.jpg.98c38b3ec98aa7bffcd53c32462ce236.jpg1.thumb.jpg.f2ac43fe26a8b20b22877b6f18847cbe.jpg

8 hours ago, GabenJr said:

Valve’s Steam Machine was their first game console, and we’ve got a prototype! But it’s broken… Can we fix it? And if we can, should we, or should we have left it in the past?

Donate to Free Geek Twin Cities: https://www.freegeektwincities.org/donate

seeing windows on it would deftly be cool

Hey, #58 here, there was a bit wrong mentioned in the video. I still have the majority of my hardware, including my blown up GPU (I mined on it and blew the power delivery). I had a Kotaku article on my page trying to link up with all the other beta testers: kotaku.com steam-machine-beta-user-trying-to-find-all-300-of-his-l-1483650714

I want to see the countersunk hole on the top to ID this one myself and see if we can help connect you with it's original owner for a more detailed history on the system and how it ended up where it did. Eric above is #210 #94 for example. Truth be told, I used the Steam Machine as my daily driver for a couple months after my AMD Bulldozer died (8120 OC'd to 8350, on a cheap gaming board that blew up, noticing a pattern? LOL)

The 300 page I built has since been taken down, but I'd be willing to answer questions, and bring/send a -still working- model (sans the blown GTX780) to you to check out with beta controller if you wanted! Honestly, I want to take it and all my other discontinued/prototype Steam gear through Valve HQ to hopefully get it all signed by staff who helped develop it. Maybe someday.

Currently at work right now as I post this, so here's to hoping InfoSec wasn't watching and getting upset at me posting on forums, I'll check back in later tonight and provide some photos (when I can upload stuff without getting InfoSec's immediate attention).

@PixelButts, that is indeed a prototype! It is not ID'd for the Beta (which had the vent holes countersunk, that's a rare find outside Valve!)

Add't edit: Stopped the video and zoomed in for a look, the system LTT has now is either #228 or #238 looks like. Just checked my data, and 228 owner never checked in with me looks like... however 238 did.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160322031810/http://cynagen.com/steam-machines/

@Eric, I misidentified your machine! You ARE #94... I misremembered how the holes were drilled, had to archive my own page! WHOOPS!

1 hour ago, yo i like pugs said:

seeing windows on it would deftly be cool

It's a standard ITX machine, Windows would be trivial to put on it.

28 minutes ago, Cynagen said:

Hey, #58 here, there was a bit wrong mentioned in the video. I still have the majority of my hardware, including my blown up GPU (I mined on it and blew the power delivery). I had a Kotaku article on my page trying to link up with all the other beta testers: kotaku.com steam-machine-beta-user-trying-to-find-all-300-of-his-l-1483650714

I want to see the countersunk hole on the top to ID this one myself and see if we can help connect you with it's original owner for a more detailed history on the system and how it ended up where it did. Eric above is #210 for example. Truth be told, I used the Steam Machine as my daily driver for a couple months after my AMD Bulldozer died (8120 OC'd to 8350, on a cheap gaming board that blew up, noticing a pattern? LOL)

The 300 page I built has since been taken down, but I'd be willing to answer questions, and bring/send a -still working- model (sans the blown GTX780) to you to check out with beta controller if you wanted! Honestly, I want to take it and all my other discontinued/prototype Steam gear through Valve HQ to hopefully get it all signed by staff who helped develop it. Maybe someday.

Currently at work right now as I post this, so here's to hoping InfoSec wasn't watching and getting upset at me posting on forums, I'll check back in later tonight and provide some photos (when I can upload stuff without getting InfoSec's immediate attention).

@PixelButts, that is indeed a prototype! It is not ID'd for the Beta (which had the vent holes countersunk, that's a rare find outside Valve!)

Add't edit: Stopped the video and zoomed in for a look, the system LTT has now is either #67 or #68 looks like. Just checked my data, and that owner never checked in with me looks like... Oh well!

Hey I know you, good to see you're around!

It is a shame that I never got that prototype but sometimes that's life. I've been meaning to get one for myself, and I knew someone with one but they gutted it and after years removed me from steam so no idea which ID theirs was. I was planning to buy the shell and such off em to rebuild it, but like it goes, most were gutted, died, salvaged, modified, never really taken care of.

I wish Valve sold the cases, I would have built in one of em, no questions asked. It's a cool case.

1 minute ago, PixelButts said:

It's a standard ITX machine, Windows would be trivial to put on it.

Hey I know you, good to see you're around!

It is a shame that I never got that prototype but sometimes that's life. I've been meaning to get one for myself, and I knew someone with one but they gutted it and after years removed me from steam so no idea which ID theirs was. I was planning to buy the shell and such off em to rebuild it, but like it goes, most were gutted, died, salvaged, modified, never really taken care of.

I wish Valve sold the cases, I would have built in one of em, no questions asked. It's a cool case.

You know me? Or know of me? LOL

2 minutes ago, Cynagen said:

You know me? Or know of me? LOL

Know OF you. Your site was very helpful in researching some of this stuff. 

3 minutes ago, PixelButts said:

Know OF you. Your site was very helpful in researching some of this stuff. 

Glad it was of help.

Created a forum account to also add my bit as one of the 300

My unboxing gallery: https://imgur.com/a/ybflw

I still have the shipping box and most everything still intact. GPU is in another system, but also in storage. Valve was indeed very hands off once we got the machines and it was the "testers" that got together to make our own Steam Group to better talk amongst ourselves. I still use the 300β tag from the 'The 300 club" group on steam all these years later lol. I do remember registering mine on Cynagen's site, but not my number since I don't recall the counting direction haha.

Edit: Mine was #166. Found my post on the group forum registering mine lol

Even if the pins not making contact was or was not the problem 5~ minutes in... Don't leave Linus calling employees out in that in the video. 

It makes his subordinates look bad. 

Instead talk about it after the fact like "we discovered after a second look" 

Something that might interest you @GabenJr I've been a user of the steam controller for a long time, and steam put up a few survey questions about it on my screen a few days back.  Asking about how and why I like to use it.  Perhaps it's due for a comeback?  

Who knows given AMD's new APU's RDNA 3 graphics will be very capable of driving a TV at a respectable resolution and frame rate for most games a "steam machine" could be as simple as a mini pc with steam OS on it. 

On 2/27/2023 at 1:52 AM, Uttamattamakin said:

Something that might interest you @GabenJr I've been a user of the steam controller for a long time, and steam put up a few survey questions about it on my screen a few days back.  Asking about how and why I like to use it.  Perhaps it's due for a comeback?  

Who knows given AMD's new APU's RDNA 3 graphics will be very capable of driving a TV at a respectable resolution and frame rate for most games a "steam machine" could be as simple as a mini pc with steam OS on it. 

Actually I've noticed that a lot of steam deck users on the subreddit were using it in stationary positions and it would make sense for steam deck to be just an "entry level drug" to get the console gamers into PC/steam/linux ecosystem later on once they have the stationary console.

Also while we're in the realm of speculation - I've noticed some time ago that Asrock has started making their ITX boards in a way that they allow intrusion of PCI bracket into the IO backplate reserved area while using single PCB riser. One of the reasons behind the GPU backplate being modded in the steam machine prototype was that problem: https://imgur.com/a/kJ2tiR5 

If Asrock is still partnering with Valve on some prototyping work, maybe there's an actual steam machine in the works? Again, just a speculation.

I think current gen Asrock ITX boards for LGA1700 and AM5 are all like that and even if that's just by chance because of the layout, it could be interesting to see this idea popularized that ITX boards can be made this way to allow for this kind of design without using two-piece PCB riser or flexible one to move away from the board. This should become a standard if the steam machine configuration is a valid concept.

• 3 weeks later...

For my surprise I still have around the First Beta of the Steam OS ISO, "20131219-18:04".
I may upload soon in somewhere.