Why Is EVERYONE Buying This Soundbar???

Plouffe

Hollywood keeps delivering high-end audio to your living room, but it's useless unless you have the right sound system to drive it. Can this $280 soundbar from Bose give you the clarity you crave when it comes to indecipherable dialogue? Or is it overpriced and not worth your money?

Buy a Bose TV Speaker: https://geni.us/kbqOl

Buy a Bose Bass Module 500: https://geni.us/954tAxl

Buy a VIZIO 2.0 Sound Bar: https://geni.us/FMMfWSI

Buy a LG S40Q Sound Bar & Wireless Subwoofer: https://geni.us/0s4wBI3

Buy a Polk Audio Sigma S2 Sound Bar & Wireless Subwoofer: https://geni.us/WSFfh

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

Is the fact that "Bows" is three different words with 2 or 3 different pronunciations a joke?

Personally I cannot justify purchasing something like that instead of a theater rather than spending 500$+ to get something that is still subpar to the theater experience. 
For example the BOSE needing an additional module which cost almost double the price of the soundbar just to reach quality bass, is simply disappointing.

I mean obviously this is kinda the point of the video, but yeah, I cannot understand why is EVERYONE buying this truly bad option.

6 minutes ago, ian.ict said:

Do we really need 3 audio videos in a row on the main channel?

Capture+_2023-02-21-12-42-32.png

Didn't even notice that, super weird really. I guess the scripts kinda aligned themselves considering how long ago we had anything audio related. 

16 minutes ago, ian.ict said:

Yeah Jeez another episode of this boring series. Cmon.

23 minutes ago, ian.ict said:

Need? No. Did it happen? Yes. Is it weird someone is complaining about it? Maybe.

2 hours ago, Plouffe said:

You said in the video that 'you have to buy a Bose bass module (subwoofer) and others won't work'. Why? What is so special about this 3.5 mm port? Are they running digital audio instead of analogue?

I'm ready for a video actually diving in to some good options, not just shooting one down. That said, closed ecosystems make me sad.

Truthfully, just rocking an RCA sound bar from ~16 years ago that sounds pretty good. Oversized and I'm sure draws more power than it should, but I'm not mad.

Great vid with great insight. 
I've been dragging my heels on a home theater setup for about a year and a half for various reasons. 

Bought a screen and bought a projector [Optoma UHD38 (because it was reasonably priced and had 4k)] but never got around to an AVR or speakers. 
Have been watching my movies with a JBL Charge speaker connected via bluetooth. 

Would be really awesome if you could go through speaker configs that don't break the bank and have decent IO for AVR connectivity. 

Covering AVR-s in general would be great too. 

All pray to the labs teams!!

59 minutes ago, ian.ict said:

Capture+_2023-02-21-12-42-32.png

February CPMs are bad, so why waste good content ideas on dips in the revenue cycle? 

Ideally low effort content should be spread out a bit more, but it makes sense to pack low effort stuff in at this time of year.

2 hours ago, Plouffe said:

Hollywood keeps delivering high-end audio to your living room, but it's useless unless you have the right sound system to drive it. Can this $280 soundbar from Bose give you the clarity you crave when it comes to indecipherable dialogue? Or is it overpriced and not worth your money?

Buy a Bose TV Speaker: https://geni.us/kbqOl

Buy a VIZIO 2.0 Sound Bar: https://geni.us/FMMfWSI

Buy a LG S40Q Sound Bar & Wireless Subwoofer: https://geni.us/0s4wBI3

Buy a Polk Audio Sigma S2 Sound Bar & Wireless Subwoofer: https://geni.us/WSFfh

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

Instead this is my dream and unattainable setup due its price ...

X1 SPL Crossover black

X2 PSI A25-M black

X1 PSI A125-M black

spacer.pngspacer.png

17821626_800.jpg.170be339f2a39de1eb024a1e4c56948b.jpg17821619_800.jpg.32ea01babfd8114e27375bd4e3ed73e9.jpg14140407_800.jpg.472af13b3efee37c9dd601e748afa38f.jpg14140412_800.jpg.7e2a0f7f027c557a39b6a32b3c65b889.jpg

39 minutes ago, gRaN-Ma project said:

Instead this is my dream and unattainable setup due its price ...

X1 SPL Crossover black

X2 PSI A25-M black

X1 PSI A125-M black

That's pretty sick. Not home theatre though, right? I'm not much of an audio guy.

Man, I think soundbars are pretty underrated. Audio guys like to tinker, and a soundbar is not for them - it's for my parents, who just want plug and play, and will be happy with "good enough" for watching TV. And you can get pretty decent sound for pretty reasonable pricing these days.

3 minutes ago, TechlessBro said:

If you down mix the audio or try to play it front a small area the dialogue and on screen audio turns to mud for a few reasons.

1) basic human ears, hearing and brain processing since you can’t filter the direction.

2) tiny low cost drivers and poor EQ and filtering, distortion etc.
3) the actual down mixing 

Simplified, the music and effects are all basically mono across all channels except the centre. The centre plays only what is visible on the screen only. When you try to play 5 or 7 channels down to say stereo the centre is only 1/5 or 1/7 of the total so gets lost.

As a sound engineer yes that is the best way to say that.

TBF I am a engineer that works mostly in mono/stereo at most 2 channel.

2 hours ago, seanondemand said:

Not home theatre though, right? I'm not much of an audio guy.

its a stereo 2 channel with a subwoofer, it looks like it would be decent.

4 hours ago, kcPxHH08fpJFijIKgrTu07NakO said:

That said, closed ecosystems make me sad.

My dream home theater would be studio/pro audio gear, because in this space there is standards of interoperability

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

I just bought KRK 5 inch studio monitors for $200... I spent less money and got way better speakers.

7 minutes ago, fpo said:

I just bought KRK 5 inch studio monitors for $200... I spent less money and got way better speakers.

But what did you spend on your AVR?

4 minutes ago, seanondemand said:

But what did you spend on your AVR?

I have a $100 music production sound card for my computer. 

5 minutes ago, fpo said:

I have a $100 music production sound card for my computer. 

So we're talking about two different things - you're talking about individual components where if you combined those speakers with an avr you'd spend well over 300, 400, 500 bucks? But my folks can go on Amazon and buy a Vizio 5.1 soundbar/wireless satellites/sub package they can plug into HDMI and be good to go in 5 minutes for 220 bucks.

5 minutes ago, seanondemand said:

So we're talking about two different things - you're talking about individual components where if you combined those speakers with an avr you'd spend well over 300, 400, 500 bucks? But my folks can go on Amazon and buy a Vizio 5.1 soundbar/wireless satellites/sub package they can plug into HDMI and be good to go in 5 minutes for 220 bucks.

You can get a good av setup for like $200 with Mackie 3" speakers for $90~ and then some low cost box. 

I'm confident there's cheaper sound bars of equal or better quality than Bose but if you own a computer or get a used computer for the low cost you can, it's not really an excuse unless you set strict rules on yourself. 

1 hour ago, seanondemand said:

No, you can something like presonus eris or as @fpo said mackies for like 100 usd.

those are some pretty good entry level monitors ngl.

have a audio interface like a berhinger 70-100.

or even plug a 3.5mm to RCA and put it in the headphone jack of the TV for practically free.

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

52 minutes ago, TechlessBro said:

All sound bars are going to be average no matter how good the parts.

They exist for simple convenience, anything else is marketing. Sound bars should not be used outside tiny apartments etc where you have no choice.

How tiny can they be?

I live in a studio apartment and I easily fit a full sized Onkyo receiver and two bookshelf speakers.

1 hour ago, TechlessBro said:

I was just trying to be nice and somehow justify the sound bar’s existence. Away with your logical and reasonable nature.

Seriously though YT search japan tiny apartment, not your average western sized ones.

They are what you call a small bedroom most places, but it’s a whole rentable apartment in that sized space. That I concede is sound bar territory, unless you own it then bolt speakers to the wall high up out of the way.

If size were an issue, I'd go with PC speakers. Much smaller, and a little more versatile.

As an owner of a bigger brother, SB500, I can say that significant difference in an overall sound quality, as well as the bass, comes from the connection medium. If connected via fiber cable, it really sounds hollow, and monodimensional. On other hand, connecting it via bluetooth, turns it into a whole different speaker. If only you tried the other option. 

As Lg goes. I had that too, for the bedroom. It's a bloody disaster. Not only its soundbar is merely different from a built in speaker, but its bass module shakes uncontrollably on just any sound. Even the conversation. While Bose's bass module is much more refined. It only picks the waveforms that are supposed to go trough the bass amplifier. 

Second hand Bose Soundbar 500 is on the market for some time already, and can be found used around 200$. I'd warmly suggest going for that option. Over any low priced Lg. It's just a headache. 

10 hours ago, seanondemand said:

That's pretty sick. Not home theatre though, right? I'm not much of an audio guy.

Man, I think soundbars are pretty underrated. Audio guys like to tinker, and a soundbar is not for them - it's for my parents, who just want plug and play, and will be happy with "good enough" for watching TV. And you can get pretty decent sound for pretty reasonable pricing these days.

"That's pretty sick". Sure? Maybe you haven't seen this video yet...

X1 SPL Crossover +

X2 PSI A25-M +

X1 PSI A125-M =

--------------------------------

home theater

In reality, this setup with crossover is dedicated to home theater, albeit with active speakers. Usually in recording studios, speakers are chosen based on the size of the room. Therefore the a25 speakers may be too big. Furthermore, the active speakers guarantee homogeneity between them and certain standards unlike the passive speakers. And some sound engineers advise against pairing the a25 with subwoofers in recording studios.

So, the real question is "is a home theater actually necessary?". My answer is no. Modern TV/monitor on board speakers have a very bright timbre, which ensures that the sound travels around the room.

The bose sound bar is pathetic, I mean there are soundbars for a 1/4 the price that have an integrated subwoofer, never mind a separate one.

In the UK this is what sells best. I wonder how much worse if at all this sub 50$ soundbar is than the Bose

image.thumb.png.b45503cde374322b97fb37276b5f2775.png