Samsung HW-Q990B Rear Speaker Quiet?

Exoriya

I'm new to this sort of stuff, I never owned or used a soundbar or any like it. I purchased myself the Q990B as its said to be a very good soundbar. I understand and read about the disconnects however, I haven't ran into that yet and hope not too. 

My question is however, when watching a movie on Netflix that supports Dolby Atmos, the main soundbar is doing all the loudness, however when going near the rear speakers, i only hear very faintly from it. Is this intended? Thanks ❤️

Also, another question. I'll be having the rear speakers on Speaker Stands next to my sofa (left and right). Should I have the face-speakers facing towards me? Whats the best position?

Update: I noticed the movie didn't have 5.1 detailed, maybe that's why? It did have Atmos but not 5.1. I'll try looking for something that has both

The main sound always comes from the front. The back speakers are there for surround sound effects. An airplane flying overhead may use the rear speakers to sound like it is passing you, for example. Some movies really take advantage of surround sound and you will swear you are there with everyone, other movies barely use it at all. Surround sound is not meant for all speakers to play the same thing, they are meant for different sounds at different times with the main sound always coming from the front. Movies without 5.1 surround sound may not use the back speakers at all. There may be a setting to make the rear speakers play when in stereo sound (left/right) but I am not sure.

It looks like if you change the sound mode to adaptive or surround you will get those rear speakers to do more when not watching a 5.1 movie.

13 minutes ago, ChristGuard said:

The main sound always comes from the front. The back speakers are there for surround sound effects. An airplane flying overhead may use the rear speakers to sound like it is passing you, for example. Some movies really take advantage of surround sound and you will swear you are there with everyone, other movies barely use it at all. Surround sound is not meant for all speakers to play the same thing, they are meant for different sounds at different times with the main sound always coming from the front. Movies without 5.1 surround sound may not use the back speakers at all. There may be a setting to make the rear speakers play when in stereo sound (left/right) but I am not sure.

11 minutes ago, ChristGuard said:

It looks like if you change the sound mode to adaptive or surround you will get those rear speakers to do more when not watching a 5.1 movie.

Thanks for the reply. So the rear speakers are mainly just for the extra effects? If so, then I can understand that lol. 

Yup, extra effects is exactly right. Sometimes I forget mine are there then get freaked out when a movie uses them well and I feel like someone is behind me.

On 2/7/2023 at 3:57 PM, Exoriya said:

Thanks for the reply. So the rear speakers are mainly just for the extra effects? If so, then I can understand that lol. 

Correct. 

If you want to, you might be able to find something like "all channel stereo"
Just be aware that while there's more sound it's not necessarily better. 

I have 13 speakers in my set up. Most of the sound (90%?) comes from the front. I get more immersion when something flies overhead and in a handful of songs. 

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800