What wattage of PSU? Also, can I upgrade my fans and still achieve adequate cooling?

AMPCTech79

Hello there. I realize this is a shot in the dark and I have never done this before but I am messaging for some advice.

I have a repurposed Dell Precision T7500 workstation that originally had an OEM 1100 watt PSU. Recently, said PSU decided to die on me. 
Before said demise, the system was dual Xeon X5570s, a Zotac GTX 970 GPU, 32 GB of RAM (if I recall correctly) in various 2GB and 4GB DIMMS, a 240 GB Crucial SSD for the OS, and 2 250 GB Western Digital Velociraptors.
From factory, the system also comes with dual front fan assembly ( 1 x 120mm x 120mm x 35mm PWM fan and 1 x 150mm x 150mm x 50mm PWM fan approx.), a hard drive cooler fan (80mm x 25mm), a passive heatsink for CPU 1, an active heatsink for CPU 2 with 1 x 80mm x 55mm (approx.) pwm fan, and 1 x 120mm x 35mm rear PWM fan. 
At present, my main concern is advice and recommendation on what wattage of PSU I need to get the system up and running again but also allow for future upgrades like a newer GPU and maybe 6 core Xeons, if budget allows. A few PSU calculators have recommended 600 watt PSUs but that seems a little low, especially with possible future upgrades. 
However, that being said, I just recently watched a video where it was shows that even very high end gaming machines used far less power than expected, even at high overclocks and extreme use.
So, that makes me unsure again, lol.
I was personally thinking 850 watts before I saw that video, but am again second guessing.
The other part I am concerned about is, upgrading my fans. Overall, the system is much louder than I'd like. Especially with an ear problem making certain frequencies extra annoying.
However, with my research, I am unsure which fans will do an adequate job of cooling as opposed to what I have now. 
So, any help with that, also, would be greatly appreciated.
In general, my biggest concern is the PSU but would very much like advice about fans too.
Thanks VERY much in advance and I look forward to hearing back from you.
P.S. I have included the layout of my tower and shown the fan locations. There are also a couple tiny fans on the motherboard but, am not expecting to be able to upgrade those. 

20230113_114052.jpg

20230113_114140.jpg

20230113_114234.jpg

20230113_114312.jpg

if te psu is non propritery you can definetly upgrade it to aa bronze or gold 650=700w. and the cooling for the cpu could  be greatly imporved by either a new cpu cooler of what look like 2 fan monunts on a grill. 

I did a conservative calculation and assume you got a 4080 in future... You are looking at 653W load. Times 1.2 (so the PSU is only loaded to 80%) that's about 783W.  So a 800W PSU would be best.

https://outervision.com/b/9C3Lwu

You can play around on that site to see if you can get away with lower powered PSU with say a RTX 3070

https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

*Given the CPUs combined is akin to a i5-7600K, it might be best to go for something like a RTX2080 OR RTX3070. Lowering power requirements to 650-700W

One thing you should double check is to see if the Board is using standard ATX power connectors. Many OEM uses proprietary connection to power the motherboard.

Lastly, you might be able to upgrade the case fans with newer fans, those tend to be 90 or at best 120mm. You can use a ruler and check if screw hole location matches up.

As for CPU cooler... I am afraid those are not easy to upgrade. Most coolers on the market are for consumer CPUs 

You can try get LGA 1366 coolers (like Hyper 212), but it really depends if it can fit in the case and if the board is using standard hole pattern. 

You can also try control the fans using 3rd party fan controlling software, like Speedfan. To make the fans quite by lowering their speed (sacrificing cooling)

1 hour ago, m37 said:

if te psu is non propritery you can definetly upgrade it to aa bronze or gold 650=700w. and the cooling for the cpu could  be greatly imporved by either a new cpu cooler of what look like 2 fan monunts on a grill. 

Hello, m37, and thanks for the comment.
The OEM PSU is still an ATX form factor and the plug on the MB is still a regular ATX 24-pin plug. In fact, I've physically held an ATX PSU inside the case and the screws line up. 
Also, I've used an Antec 500 watt PSU to test that it was definitely a PSU issue and it was. Unfortunately, that is probably not enough power for the complete system with 2 CPUs and it also only has 1 8-pin CPU connector.
I have considered a newer CPU cooler and found ones that are supposed to work on the 1366 socket but I don't know if they would mount right. I haven't found anything conclusive on that. 

5 minutes ago, AMPCTech79 said:

Hello, m37, and thanks for the comment.
The OEM PSU is still an ATX form factor and the plug on the MB is still a regular ATX 24-pin plug. In fact, I've physically held an ATX PSU inside the case and the screws line up. 
Also, I've used an Antec 500 watt PSU to text that it was definitely a PSU issue and it was. Unfortunately, that is probably not enough power for the complete system with 2 CPUs and it also only has 1 8-pin CPU connector.
I have considered a newer CPU cooler and found ones that are supposed to work on the 1366 socket but I don't know if they would mount right. I haven't found anything conclusive on that. 

it would prom hsave to be oem off ebay

11 minutes ago, Supersonicwolfe said:

I did a conservative calculation and assume you got a 4080 in future... You are looking at 653W load. Times 1.2 (so the PSU is only loaded to 80%) that's about 783W.  So a 800W PSU would be best.

https://outervision.com/b/9C3Lwu

You can play around on that site to see if you can get away with lower powered PSU with say a RTX 3070

https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

*Given the CPUs combined is akin to a i5-7600K, it might be best to go for something like a RTX2080 OR RTX3070. Lowering power requirements to 650-700W

One thing you should double check is to see if the Board is using standard ATX power connectors. Many OEM uses proprietary connection to power the motherboard.

Lastly, you might be able to upgrade the case fans with newer fans, those tend to be 90 or at best 120mm. You can use a ruler and check if screw hole location matches up.

As for CPU cooler... I am afraid those are not easy to upgrade. Most coolers on the market are for consumer CPUs 

You can try get LGA 1366 coolers (like Hyper 212), but it really depends if it can fit in the case and if the board is using standard hole pattern. 

You can also try control the fans using 3rd party fan controlling software, like Speedfan. To make the fans quite by lowering their speed (sacrificing cooling)

Hello, Supersonicewolfe. Thanks for the comment.
I don't think I would go anywhere near as far as a 4080. Maybe a 1080 or slightly higher but that's about it. I'm not a serious gamer so I don't need a crazy powerful GPU personally.
I was, however, considering something in the 750-850 watt range to allow for a bit better upgrades in the future, but, as I mentioned with the video, even high end gaming systems apparently use far less power than expected. Hence my indecisiveness. 
At present, 2 of the case fans are already 120mm (top of front cage, and rear case fan) and 1 is a 150mm (at the bottom of the front cage), but, what I am unsure of it what kind of CFM rating I am going to need for adequate cooling and flow.
Yes, that is also a concern about whether an aftermarket cooler will work on the MB. 

2 minutes ago, m37 said:

it would prom hsave to be oem off ebay

Well, I know there is an OEM upgrade I can get for the passive heatsink on CPU 1 (closest to the dual fan cage). I may have to try that first. 
Just wishing I could get something close to almost silent machine but I guess there is trade offs when it comes to converting a workstation, lol. 

12 minutes ago, AMPCTech79 said:

Well, I know there is an OEM upgrade I can get for the passive heatsink on CPU 1 (closest to the dual fan cage). I may have to try that first. 
Just wishing I could get something close to almost silent machine but I guess there is trade offs when it comes to converting a workstation, lol. 

try and replace the server grade fans, they are prob loud af

1 minute ago, m37 said:

I can't audibly detect which fans are the culprit (s), but, yes, that is what I am hoping to do. I'm just hoping that aftermarket fans will still move adequate air. I know that the 150mm fan at the bottom of the front cage is apparently rated at 200+ CFM and the 120mm fans are rated at 160 CFM. But, as for what I truly need for air movement to keep it all cool, that I am unsure of. Hence, another reason I am here. 
As I mentioned, the PSU replacement is my first concern but would like to upgrade the fans in the future if I can find what will work and as budget allows.

20 minutes ago, m37 said:

Unfortunately, the highest CFM fan I've found is a Fractal Design 120mm at 87.6 CFM and 32.2 db. If I do decide to try them, I hope that is enough CFM and quiet enough too. 
That's as far as I've gotten so far. 

On 2/7/2023 at 4:46 AM, AMPCTech79 said:

Unfortunately, the highest CFM fan I've found is a Fractal Design 120mm at 87.6 CFM and 32.2 db. If I do decide to try them, I hope that is enough CFM and quiet enough too. 
That's as far as I've gotten so far. 

High CFM fan may not do well in high back pressure (obstruction) use case. They also can brute force the rating by just making them very noisy. 

Those numbers were also sometimes inflated by marketing...

Unfortunately, GN still haven't released anything on fan testing despite they bought a fancy machine a year ago...

To be honest if you are going for a general option, you won't go wrong with Arctic fans. 

If money is no objection, Noctua or Be quiet are top of the line..

On 2/7/2023 at 4:05 AM, AMPCTech79 said:

Hello, Supersonicewolfe. Thanks for the comment.
I don't think I would go anywhere near as far as a 4080. Maybe a 1080 or slightly higher but that's about it. I'm not a serious gamer so I don't need a crazy powerful GPU personally.
I was, however, considering something in the 750-850 watt range to allow for a bit better upgrades in the future, but, as I mentioned with the video, even high end gaming systems apparently use far less power than expected. Hence my indecisiveness. 
At present, 2 of the case fans are already 120mm (top of front cage, and rear case fan) and 1 is a 150mm (at the bottom of the front cage), but, what I am unsure of it what kind of CFM rating I am going to need for adequate cooling and flow.
Yes, that is also a concern about whether an aftermarket cooler will work on the MB. 

You can just put in GTX 1080 in the website I posted to get an estimate of minimum power requirement.

150mm is not a standard size, most common are 120 and 140. You might be able to find other size like 80 and 92mm for older cases. 

2 hours ago, Supersonicwolfe said:

High CFM fan may not do well in high back pressure (obstruction) use case. They also can brute force the rating by just making them very noisy. 

Those numbers were also sometimes inflated by marketing...

Unfortunately, GN still haven't released anything on fan testing despite they bought a fancy machine a year ago...

To be honest if you are going for a general option, you won't go wrong with Arctic fans. 

If money is no objection, Noctua or Be quiet are top of the line..

I have wondered about that too. Especially with how the system is designed. 
Unfortunately, what I can't seem to wrap my head around is how much air movement I actually need to keep my system cool without a bunch of noise. As seen in the pictures, there isn't much option for adding more fans so I am unsure what to do. 
I have looked at Noctua and Be Quiet, but hadn't remembered about Arctic fans until you mentioned it. 
As I mentioned, these OEM fans are apparently very high CFM fans so that throws me for a loop as well.
At present, I've been considering swapping out the 120mm fans, front and rear, to see if that makes any difference. 

2 hours ago, Supersonicwolfe said:

You can just put in GTX 1080 in the website I posted to get an estimate of minimum power requirement.

150mm is not a standard size, most common are 120 and 140. You might be able to find other size like 80 and 92mm for older cases. 

Ok, I did that and it did change the recommended PSU wattage but, since it's a guide, I am still unsure. 
Yes, I am aware that the 150mm is uncommon and have resigned myself to the fact that I may be stuck with that one, unless I try mounting a 140mm in it's place but will have to see.
The 80mm fans are between the hard drive cages and 1 on the 2nd CPU active cooler. Still researching quiet versions of those. 

On 2/10/2023 at 6:47 PM, AMPCTech79 said:

Ok, I did that and it did change the recommended PSU wattage but, since it's a guide, I am still unsure. 
Yes, I am aware that the 150mm is uncommon and have resigned myself to the fact that I may be stuck with that one, unless I try mounting a 140mm in it's place but will have to see.
The 80mm fans are between the hard drive cages and 1 on the 2nd CPU active cooler. Still researching quiet versions of those. 

You can still try the program I recommend and see if you can set a custom fan curve to make the fans quieter while still able to ramp them up when needed.

I tuned my fans by tune it quite and then using a load like Prime 95 to stress CPU and Furmark (MSI afterburner have one) to stress the GPU to test if the temperature are still acceptable, not throttling (drop frequencies)

I have been using Speedfan for years to monitor temperatures but haven't managed to figure out the configuration part yet. I've even read some places where it says to input your motherboard but I've searched through the parameters and am not finding where to input that. Maybe my versions aren't new enough? I don't know. 
I've never heard of the other programs you've mentioned but, as I said, I'm not a serious gamer so that's probably why. It appears I still have much to learn when it comes to computer tweaks.