Windows 10 on 945G Motherboard?

Sukhoikip
Go to solution Solved by manikyath,

i vaguely recalled something specific about it, so i went to dig up the details.

you need a 65nm P4 to run the 64-bit version of windows 10, because the 90nm ones (like you have) lack two instructions that are needed to make 64-bit work.

the 32-bit version of windows 10 should work.

I have tried booting from both a drive flashed with rufus and one with Ventoy set up on it. Typically, it will flash the Windows logo then just a blinking terminal cursor. Booting with a Quadro K420 just to rule out the board's GMA950 not cooperating with Windows has proven the mGPU not to be the problem. I'm trying to get 10 running on a Pentium 4 because Prescott CPUs can nominally run Cinebench R23 and I'm in a masochistic mood. I currently have 7 installed on the system, so that may be a valid starting point though I'd prefer it to be a clean install. On a final note, is there a trustworthy place to grab a older 10 image, like the ones that still could work with a Pentium III?

System involved:
CPU: Pentium 4 531 3.0GHz

RAM: 4GB DDR2-667
MB: Asus P5LP-LE 
Storage: Leven JS600 128GB

I think Ventoy wants a UEFI system. For the Rufus drive, did you make sure to make it for BIOS machines with MBR, not UEFI? And is simply upgrading from W7 to W10 not an option? 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

6 minutes ago, Zando_ said:

I think Ventoy wants a UEFI system. For the Rufus drive, did you make sure to make it for BIOS machines with MBR, not UEFI? And is simply upgrading from W7 to W10 not an option? 

Yes, I specifically made sure the Rufus was MBR. The Ventoy should be fine since I installed 7 off of it. I can try the in-OS upgrade option later, I'd just prefer a clean install because I prefer a clean OS for benchmarking, however imprecise it may be in this case.

i vaguely recalled something specific about it, so i went to dig up the details.

you need a 65nm P4 to run the 64-bit version of windows 10, because the 90nm ones (like you have) lack two instructions that are needed to make 64-bit work.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

Bleh, thank you. Guess I'll be finding the Cedar Mill version of this CPU since most of the benchmarks I wanted to run are 64 bit only.

yes, specifically it is missing prefetchw extension which is a requirement starting with windows 8.1 64bit. 
I'm not sure if windows 8.0 64bit would work though. 

there is no windows 10 support regardless on pentium iii
it lacks sse2 which was baked into windows 7 requirements at some point even. 
fun fact, there is a few updates for windows 7 that do not check for sse2 support and just install automatically and then brick the install. 

cedar mill is probably your best shot for netburst. Not sure your goals but pentium dual cores are based on core microarch and are fully supported by win10

47 minutes ago, OhYou_ said:

yes, specifically it is missing prefetchw extension which is a requirement starting with windows 8.1 64bit. 
I'm not sure if windows 8.0 64bit would work though. 

there is no windows 10 support regardless on pentium iii
it lacks sse2 which was baked into windows 7 requirements at some point even. 
fun fact, there is a few updates for windows 7 that do not check for sse2 support and just install automatically and then brick the install. 

cedar mill is probably your best shot for netburst. Not sure your goals but pentium dual cores are based on core microarch and are fully supported by win10

I remember the fact that MS could no longer include the P3 in W10 with any workaround at all it into the news cycle about 5 years ago