Weird AM5 behaviour/possibly faulty ram

Go to solution Solved by -rascal-,
2 hours ago, Speeed said:

After updating the BIOS to the the release from Jan 6th nothing has changed ram wise. Still only one dimm works in only slot 2 and 4 and the other one does not work at all only showing the 2 same LEDs. The rbg lights up but besides that I get nada. 

Oh really?!

You have tried with just the potentially faulty stick, and you get the CPU + DRAM debug LEDs, right?

There is a chance that the second memory stick is faulty.

I see that it is sold and shipped by a third party.

Are you able to return or exchange with the seller? Usually you need to return the entire kit, and cannot just return one stick.

Otherwise, you could reach out to G.Skill directly, since memory have lifetime warranty.

I've just upgraded my system to AM5 and I'm having memory issues and can't find similar forum posts like my situation and I'm looking for a little guidance.

Specs as follows:

MSI B650 Mag Mortar

Ryzen 5 7600x

G.Skill trident DDR5 6000mhz (specific model: 32-TZ5RK)

RTX 3070Ti

NHU-12s chromax.black

So I started building it everything was going fine when I went to turn it on and got the red CPU and orange DRAM light like in the photo. So I started frantically googling trying to find the answer and could find no information, so my first thought was to reseat the cooler and check for bent pins and try again, there were no bent pins and it didn't work. So I started reseeding each ram module in different ram slots and after nearly every configuration I tried to use only one module in the second slot from the left and the last slot, these let me post. So I tried the other ram module but that one didn't work in any of the ram slots which is where it leads me to believe that it could be just the one module that is broken. 

However, after more and more research I found that with AM5 and new memory controller due to DDR5 it can be flaky. I've been able to install win11 and use it perfectly fine with just the one module but any attempt to add the second RAM slot in still results in a the same ez debug lights. But then I got into windows and started benchmarking to ensure everything else was fine and noticed that the CPU ran really hot and would hit 95 immediately, it wouldn't thermal throttle and would maintain boost frequency, but I got scared took off the cooler reapplied thermal paste and re did it without looking into it and I did this probably 4/5 times, each time I did this the same RAM testing in different slots and stuff but still to no success. (the cpu in cinebench r23 runs a little better than most of the other recorded 7600x's so I don't think it's contact issues but I'm unsure)

I ordered everything off amazon so I have the ability to send stuff back and get replacements but I kinda need the system so don't want to RMA everything and have to wait for everything to arrive.

Apologies for any structure issues but It's hard to isolate specific things with it being a new platform and little issue recording from others. And thank you in advance for any help and anymore information required please just ask, ty<3

ez-debug-led-red-cpu-orange-dram-v0-yhpedcve2pfa1.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Speeed said:

I've just upgraded my system to AM5 and I'm having memory issues and can't find similar forum posts like my situation and I'm looking for a little guidance.

Specs as follows:

MSI B650 Mag Mortar

Ryzen 5 7600x

G.Skill trident DDR5 6000mhz (specific model: 32-TZ5RK)

RTX 3070Ti

NHU-12s chromax.black

So I started building it everything was going fine when I went to turn it on and got the red CPU and orange DRAM light like in the photo. So I started frantically googling trying to find the answer and could find no information, so my first thought was to reseat the cooler and check for bent pins and try again, there were no bent pins and it didn't work. So I started reseeding each ram module in different ram slots and after nearly every configuration I tried to use only one module in the second slot from the left and the last slot, these let me post. So I tried the other ram module but that one didn't work in any of the ram slots which is where it leads me to believe that it could be just the one module that is broken. 

However, after more and more research I found that with AM5 and new memory controller due to DDR5 it can be flaky. I've been able to install win11 and use it perfectly fine with just the one module but any attempt to add the second RAM slot in still results in a the same ez debug lights. But then I got into windows and started benchmarking to ensure everything else was fine and noticed that the CPU ran really hot and would hit 95 immediately, it wouldn't thermal throttle and would maintain boost frequency, but I got scared took off the cooler reapplied thermal paste and re did it without looking into it and I did this probably 4/5 times, each time I did this the same RAM testing in different slots and stuff but still to no success. (the cpu in cinebench r23 runs a little better than most of the other recorded 7600x's so I don't think it's contact issues but I'm unsure)

I ordered everything off amazon so I have the ability to send stuff back and get replacements but I kinda need the system so don't want to RMA everything and have to wait for everything to arrive.

Apologies for any structure issues but It's hard to isolate specific things with it being a new platform and little issue recording from others. And thank you in advance for any help and anymore information required please just ask, ty<3

Which G.Skill DDR5-6000 TZ5RK kit?

All of the DDR5 TridentZ RGB kits are "-TZ5RK"

New socket, new Integrated Memory Controller for DDR5.

Intel had the same issue when they moved to DDR5 on 12th Gen, AMD is the same.

Make sure you have the latest BIOS for your motherboard -- MSi released a BIOS update in Jan-2023 with AGESA ver 1.0.0.4.

For 2x memory modules, you want to be using (from the CPU), slots #2 + #4.

Try to see if it will run without EXPO / XMP enabled first.

If it won't run stable with JEDEC default, no point trying to make it run using an EXPO / XMP overclock.

Previous Ryzen CPU designs, it was targeting...whichever limit is hit first -- either temperature, power, current, etc.

The CPU is designed to run until 95*C, 24/7.

Basically, the CPU will keep boosting non-stop until it reaches 95*C and stay there, until it hits 96*C, before it backs down.

As soon as it drop to 95*C or lower, it will go all-out again.

What you can do to drop the temperature is:

• Enable ECO Mode in the BIOS
  • Reduce the power and current target...which is what ECO Mode does
  • Undervolt the CPU
  • Reduce the target boost frequency

https://wccftech.com/amd-agesa-1-0-0-4-bios-firmware-rolled-out-by-msi-adds-ryzen-7000-non-x-x3d-cpu-support/

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

8 minutes ago, -rascal- said:

Which G.Skill DDR5-6000 TZ5RK kit?

All of the DDR5 TridentZ RGB kits are "-TZ5RK"

New socket, new Integrated Memory Controller for DDR5.

Intel had the same issue when they moved to DDR5 on 12th Gen, AMD is the same.

Make sure you have the latest BIOS for your motherboard -- MSi released a BIOS update in Jan-2023 with AGESA ver 1.0.0.4.

For 2x memory modules, you want to be using (from the CPU), slots #2 + #4.

Try to see if it will run without EXPO / XMP enabled first.

If it won't run stable with JEDEC default, no point trying to make it run using an EXPO / XMP overclock.

Previous Ryzen CPU designs, it was targeting...whichever limit is hit first -- either temperature, power, current, etc.

The CPU is designed to run until 95*C, 24/7.

Basically, the CPU will keep boosting non-stop until it reaches 95*C and stay there, until it hits 96*C, before it backs down.

As soon as it drop to 95*C or lower, it will go all-out again.

What you can do to drop the temperature is:

• Enable ECO Mode in the BIOS
  • Reduce the power and current target...which is what ECO Mode does
  • Undervolt the CPU
  • Reduce the target boost frequency

Oh my bad, I didn't realise that wasn't the model no. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09TPY273P?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details this is the link from the exact set I bought. 

As for XMP and such, the one stick runs fine with and without XMP enabled so I'll try updating the bios and get back to you.:) 

16 minutes ago, Speeed said:

Oh my bad, I didn't realise that wasn't the model no. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09TPY273P?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details this is the link from the exact set I bought. 

As for XMP and such, the one stick runs fine with and without XMP enabled so I'll try updating the bios and get back to you.:) 

Ah, okay there it is: ‎F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK

That exact memory kit is ON the QVL list for the MSi MAG B650M Mortar...

The list was supposedly last updated Feb-01-2023.

So yes, give the latest BIOS a try.

image.thumb.png.b80d2c490b231c0955aca50ac038ef41.png

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]

• Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

23 minutes ago, -rascal- said:

Ah, okay there it is: ‎F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK

That exact memory kit is ON the QVL list for the MSi MAG B650M Mortar...

The list was supposedly last updated Feb-01-2023.

So yes, give the latest BIOS a try.

image.thumb.png.b80d2c490b231c0955aca50ac038ef41.png

After updating the BIOS to the the release from Jan 6th nothing has changed ram wise. Still only one dimm works in only slot 2 and 4 and the other one does not work at all only showing the 2 same LEDs. The rbg lights up but besides that I get nada. 

2 hours ago, Speeed said:

Oh really?!

You have tried with just the potentially faulty stick, and you get the CPU + DRAM debug LEDs, right?

Are you able to return or exchange with the seller? Usually you need to return the entire kit, and cannot just return one stick.

Otherwise, you could reach out to G.Skill directly, since memory have lifetime warranty.

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz

• Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

2 hours ago, -rascal- said:

Oh really?!

I should be able to replace it pretty effortlessly, Amazon in the UK are usually pretty lenient with stuff like that. I'll reply to this thread to update in the next few days when I get a new dimm/kit.

Thank you for the help I appreciate it.:)

On 2/7/2023 at 1:11 AM, -rascal- said:

Oh really?!

I bought a new, identical, kit of memory. And yeah, the kit I bought originally just had a bad DIMM in it.

Certainly a bit of unusual behaviour, I can't say I've really heard of that being an issue and the whole EZ debug lights showing CPU too still baffles me a little but hey. Problem solved.