are these good specs?

GOATWD
30 minutes ago, Blqckout said:

whats the point of overclocking ram, how dangerous is it and how do i do it

speeeeeeeeed

Definitely very painful to get a high oc (4600+) but if you are just running 3800-4200 for gear1/1:1 if its relatively easy to do assuming you arent using trash ram ics like samsung c die or hynix mfr which literally cant hit those speeds

Best ive done on ddr2 is 1520 7-9-6-9 trfc 80 in a weird 1x3 config (xtreem dark 1066c6) at 2.34v on a p5q (modded to p5qd turbo bios), this was pain to get stable at 1520, needs 2 fans otherwise it crashes, cant loosen cl or trcd anymore so no lowering volt, and it caps at 2.4v since going higher will just cause it to not post

Best ive done on ddr3 is a pitifull 2200 on my generic green pcb pscs in 1x4 dual rank on a p8z68 deluxe (my pentium seems to have shit imc so dual rank and single rank dont matter), didnt even bother tightening the primaries (9-12-9)  only around 1.7v, could run tighter primaries but that doesnt do shit for performance so waiting on a better imc for high freq

Havent got to ddr4 yet cause no money 😞

Really high freq ram oc is definitely not for beginners, youll be driven insane by the near stability of your oc only to have it crash after HOURS of stress testing. Also you need to know what ics are fine with being fed proper voltage cause not all ics can handle higher voltage which is usually needed for high freq, but usually its the bad ics that cant handle volt (well there are exceptions like hynix cjr)

But as long as you are willing to spend maybe an hour you can tune your rams and optimize the subtimings (where all the performance is at), its not that hard at lower freq

36 minutes ago, Vishera said:

If you set the voltage too high it can kill your DIMMs,

If you do it wrong it can cause stability issues.

Stability issues can also cause data corruption and BSODs

^^^

Though actually killing a dimm with volt is hard, youd have to be running >2v to have any chance of killing a dimm, otherwise on a bad ic youll just degrade it, and even then the imc would likely degrade sooner (id set a sanity limit of 1.7v vdimm for imc)

and i can definitely back up the corruption shenanigans, pretty sure ive had it happen a few times when i was a complete noob at ram oc but i dont store any important data so no biggie just reinstall windows. Havent had corruption happen in awhile but maybe thats because im not running ludicrously unstable ram settings (ones that can just barely boot into windows)

Volts wise wouldnt run past 1.45v for intel atleast for daily (vcore/vccio/vccsa), not sure about amd since those seem to be abit more fragile but you dont really need to run high soc volt most of the time maybe like 1.3v max. Vdimm is heavily ram dependant, some just dont degrade (b die as an example), while some will just not run much over stock 1.2/1.35v (crappy c die)

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/qt73pH

Used 3080 with a 13500 for only 1100£, honestly surprised that i can get an actually balanced build with a 3080 at this pricerange

Just undervolt the 3080 if you cant find a used 750 or 850w unit for a decent price, and 3080 are about 500£ for the cheapest actually decent ones on ebay (not the crappy oem dell ones) though rtx 3070 are ~330£ if you wanna cost cut abit or get a more powerful cpu like the 13600k

24 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/qt73pH

Used 3080 with a 13500 for only 1100£, honestly surprised that i can get an actually balanced build with a 3080 at this pricerange

Just undervolt the 3080 if you cant find a used 750 or 850w unit for a decent price, and 3080 are about 500£ for the cheapest actually decent ones on ebay (not the crappy oem dell ones) though rtx 3070 are ~330£ if you wanna cost cut abit or get a more powerful cpu like the 13600k

id rather not risk used

7 hours ago, Blqckout said:

my motherboard supports the non rgb verson of my ram module, should i be fine with the rgb version too? plus what happened when you put in the incompatible ram, did it not boot or was the system sketchy

Answered your PM before I saw this... But the condensed version -- compare the part #s. If they're the same other than the RGB code in the prefix, it's usually the same DIMM. However, Ryzens seem to prefer dual-rank (chips on both sides of the DIMM).

For others' benefit (my PM response is more detailed) Mine drove me nuts with a couple random crashes, either not waking from sleep mode or just having no video, as well as no video on power-up every so many boot cycles. Apparently memory training (every so many boot cycles) would prevent the GPU from displaying. Testing the RAM, GPU and storage with another board and processor duplicated the issues.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

7 hours ago, GOATWD said:

its cosair ram nearly all motherboard manufacturs like cosair 

Still pays to verify the SKU / part # is listed as compatible. Otherwise there are no guarantees. It might work okay, it might not. And I have seen others here who had similar issues with Corsair RAM, so brand name doesn't guarantee compatibility.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!