Intel 10th Gen for compact NAS in 2023

Archbtw147

Hi everyone,

A i5 10400 seems to be pretty cheap on eBay at the moment. I'm considering using it and an ITX board to make a compact NAS. Just wondering if any of you have any experience with how 10th gen performs in a TrueNas/Unraid environment. Attached is a PCpartpicker list.

Thanks

George

50998679_Screenshot2023-02-05at08-39-17ChooseYourParts-PCPartPicker.thumb.png.37baffcf3c4a45539623e56d471f6c9b.png

90 pounds isnt that cheap but the board is very cheap for what you get

What 300w bequiet is that? Last one to exist is quite old and not something id use for sonething as important as a nas

Make surebyou have a fitting cooler too

I agree that the PSU the OP has listed might be dodgy for this use case as it may well be an item that has already seen many years of service. All things do break eventually just impossible to predict when.

the older 300w low profile low power ones from BeQuiet were excellent anf I remember using one back in the day before Hifi makers caught on that consumers were tinkering with the PC hometheater media boxes and I feel old thinking back to when i did that LOL

QUICk Edit  are those SYSTEM POWER B9 300's still available ? they were a bulk sale item for sytem builders etc.  Archbtw147 did you find one of those ?

Lots of those could still be off the shelf simply never used ?

Yeah, the PSU is just some random one I found on eBay. Problem is that all brand new SFX units are either from no name brands or £100+. I'm planning on just using the stock cooler.

It's likely fine, probably overkill. It just depends on what you're doing with it. Is this just going to be a NAS? Or will you being doing other things with it as well? I'm using a 10400 in my TrueNAS build. So far it's pretty much been overkill, but I'd rather it be that way (plus it was left over parts anyways).

For a home user, this is EXTREME overkill, unless you plan on doing a lot more then just serving up files via network shares. 

I ran my homelab on an i3 6100 (2 core + HT) for years and the CPU never held me back. I had truenas virtualized, along with a windows LTSC vm, multiple Ubuntu sever VM’s one of which hosted my Plex server, home assistant, and a few other random little things, plus docker containers.

This is much more powerful than that… get an i3 and save yourself some money. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air