4.2 surround sound with 2 speaker systems

JoshCanHearYou

Hello, 

I happened to obtain 2 sets of logitech z623's 

image.png.c266537c0c5e966aaa4ee5b87480f14f.pngthese

and I was wondering if its possible with minimal effort to get these working in a surround 4.2 setup for a computer. My motherboard has like 5 audio jacks so im thinking it would be possible with software?

Thanks. 

1 hour ago, JoshCanHearYou said:

Hello, 

and I was wondering if its possible with minimal effort to get these working in a surround 4.2 setup for a computer. My motherboard has like 5 audio jacks so im thinking it would be possible with software?

Thanks. 

No. At least not with just windows.  The problem is that 2.1 is really just 2.0 with the lower registers split out. The sub is not a separate channel normally.  There are just L and R not L, R, and sub.  The small speakers actually connect to the big one.  I could see it being theoretically possible with some sort of special model specific app, but massive contortions would be required.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

10 hours ago, JoshCanHearYou said:

Hello, 

Thanks. 

Depends on your soundcard but those Z623's have their own controllers and basic 3.5mm stereo input so in theory you could just plug them in the front and rear outputs of your PC and fiddle around does your PC care about missing the sub connection for 4.1 output.

With Sound Blaster Z you at least could just set it to 5.1 mode and disable sub and center speakers and set all speakers to full range (so it sends all frequencies to all speakers) and in theory you could use whatever stereo speakers or setups as 4.0/4.2 system.

And if you already have the speakers what stops you from trying out? Just find out what ports are for your front speakers and rear speakers and plug them in and see what your PC says. Most likely you can just open your sound settings (either Windows or for whatever soundcard/-chip controller software you have) and set it to send surround sound and get something out.

11 hours ago, Thaldor said:

Depends on your soundcard but those Z623's have their own controllers and basic 3.5mm stereo input so in theory you could just plug them in the front and rear outputs of your PC and fiddle around does your PC care about missing the sub connection for 4.1 output.

With Sound Blaster Z you at least could just set it to 5.1 mode and disable sub and center speakers and set all speakers to full range (so it sends all frequencies to all speakers) and in theory you could use whatever stereo speakers or setups as 4.0/4.2 system.

And if you already have the speakers what stops you from trying out? Just find out what ports are for your front speakers and rear speakers and plug them in and see what your PC says. Most likely you can just open your sound settings (either Windows or for whatever soundcard/-chip controller software you have) and set it to send surround sound and get something out.

That could work.  Won’t necessarily, but could with the addition of the card. Those things are expensive though.  Sound cards are no longer common. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

That could work.  Won’t necessarily, but could with the addition of the card. Those things are expensive though.  Sound cards are no longer common. 

With Sound Blaster Z it most likely works.

With integrated there is probably only the problems of whether the chip is that smart it notices you haven't plugged in all the speakers (most likely can be omitted since you can get around that kind of "protections" even in higher end audio systems with just 3.5/6.3mm plug/adapter/whatever that fits the hole and lifts the contacts) and does it have fancier frequency limiting (so it doesn't by itself limit what frequencies are send to what speakers).

Pretty much it boils down to does the system support quadrophonic setup or not.

If you want GOOD sound, get two good L+R speakers first and the surrounds can be mediocre and come LATER. The same applies to subwoofers. One or two GOOD subwoofers, properly placed and configured, will be better than a bunch of mediocre units. 

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

8 hours ago, Thaldor said:

With Sound Blaster Z it most likely works.

With integrated there is probably only the problems of whether the chip is that smart it notices you haven't plugged in all the speakers (most likely can be omitted since you can get around that kind of "protections" even in higher end audio systems with just 3.5/6.3mm plug/adapter/whatever that fits the hole and lifts the contacts) and does it have fancier frequency limiting (so it doesn't by itself limit what frequencies are send to what speakers).

Pretty much it boils down to does the system support quadrophonic setup or not.

You’re attributing better capacity to integrated than I do.  I suppose you might be right though. I’ve never owned a modern sound blaster.  I have had sound cards, but they wouldn’t do that.  Was long ago though.