I need help to solve this (Motherboard and screws)

Go to solution Solved by Beerzerker,
Just now, Justsomeonewho said:

Ok, so I just use 7 out of 9 standoffs ? And i put them so that the card doesn’t fold or else, am I right ?

Yes, 7 will work fine as long as those aren't messed up themselves.
Be sure to check their screws to their standoffs before attempting to install the standoffs in the case.

Hi, i’m building my first PC, nearly finished the building when I wanted to tighten a bit the MB’s screws, and then I realized than one of them would not tighten or loosen, i guess the screw is just used but I can even get it out, what can I do ?

PS : Poor quality, had to compress it.

I'm gonna guess you might've accidentally used the wrong screw, if you have a pair of pliers you may be able to very gently pull it out

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

2 minutes ago, mr cheese said:

I'm gonna guess you might've accidentally used the wrong screw, if you have a pair of pliers you may be able to very gently pull it out

I’m really starting to think than I did, gonna try with a pliers 

11 minutes ago, Justsomeonewho said:

I’m really starting to think than I did, gonna try with a pliers 

If that you have that issue, or you can just push the screw through the standoff with gentle force, it's most likely the wrong screw being used.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

2 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

If that you have that issue, or you can just push the screw through the standoff with gentle force, it's most likely the wrong screw being used.

I don’t see how I can push it through the standoff

19 minutes ago, mr cheese said:

Pliers failed, i cant grab it, it just rip off the screws head and I don’t want to break any little mb’s chips 

30 minutes ago, Justsomeonewho said:

Pliers failed, i cant grab it, it just rip off the screws head and I don’t want to break any little mb’s chips 

Can you post a picture? What kind of pliers are you using?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

1 minute ago, Justsomeonewho said:

What do you want a picture of ?

The screw.

Is the screw completely stuck, or does it turn freely within the standoff?

Just watched the video.

Try to wedge something hard and thin underneath the screw, and push it out while turning it.

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

The screw.

Is the screw completely stuck, or does it turn freely within the standoff?

It turns freely, it just don’t go up or down

image.jpg

Concerning the hole you want to use  - Is it one that has the metal ring in it?
I can't really tell if it has the ring or not.
If not it's the wrong hole to use.
Only use mounting holes that have the metal ring with them because that's how the system gets alot of it's ground. If the board/system isn't grounded properly you'll have problems.

Concerning the screw itself, remove all other mounting screws and then gently pull up/outward on the board as if to remove it while turning the screw driver - It should come out.

If the standoff has come loose in the case just get the board out as described, remove the standoff from the screw and reinstall the standoff into the case tightly.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

2 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

Concerning the hole you want to use  - Is it one that has the metal ring in it?
I can't really tell if it has the ring or not.
If not it's the wrong hole to use.
Only use mounting holes that have the metal ring with them because that's how the system gets alot of it's ground. If the board/system isn't grounded properly you'll have problems.

Concerning the screw itself, remove all other mounting screws and then gently pull up/outward on the board as if to remove it while turning the screw driver - It should come out.

I can’t see it, but I never heard about only using 8 screws for a MB

3 minutes ago, Justsomeonewho said:

It's fine if you do.
You may have to remove the entire board because of it and make sure when you go to reinstall the board that the screws are the right ones for the standoffs.
If that standoff is messed up you can't use it but missing a single screw won't hurt things at all.

I only have 5 in this one, working great.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana

2 minutes ago, Justsomeonewho said:

One thing I was thinking about is...is the standoff also backing out? Does the screw ever "snap" once it spins to a certain point? If it does, it's because the standoff backed out, which means you'll have to remove the entire board.

5 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

One thing I was thinking about is...is the standoff also backing out? Does the screw ever "snap" once it spins to a certain point? If it does, it's because the standoff backed out, which means you'll have to remove the entire board.

Yep - Seems to me the standoff has come out because the screw is stuck in it.
Board removal is the only way to fix it.

Also - The standoffs need to be tight, the screws just need to be snugged, maybe a tad beyond that (Firmly snugged) so the standoffs don't come loose again.
The standoffs always have to be in tighter than the screws would be.

8 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

It's fine if you do.
You may have to remove the entire board because of it and make sure when you go to reinstall the board that the screws are the right ones for the standoffs.
If that standoff is messed up you can't use it but missing a single screw won't hurt things at all.

I only have 5 in this one, working great.

I do now, i used the right hole, but know I have 2 screws that are stuck with the same problem 😭

8 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

A very tiny snap, but visually the stand-off does not seem to be moving 

16 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

Also - The standoffs need to be tight, the screws just need to be snugged, maybe a tad beyond that (Firmly snugged) so the standoffs don't come loose again.

But I can’t remove the MB if the screws are still there…

33 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

Talked too fast, I removed it, and i found why I had a screw problem, the standoffs seems fucked they are the only one with the little metal ring coming  off the standoff. I have standoffs from another case, but they don’t seem to have the same size, is it recommended to use different cases standoffs ? Or it’s better to leave those broken ones and just don’t put any screws in ?

image.jpg

You have to be sure the screws match the standoffs and the standoff themselves will work in the case.
The screws AND standoffs should screw in and hold with your fingers and if they do you can use them but if not you'll have this same problem again.
Try the standoff first to the case - If they screw in and feel right then try a screw by finger as well for the same thing to the standoff with the standoff NOT in the case to see if the screw matches the standoff.

It's a matter of the correct screw size, thread pitch of the screws and the threaded part of the standoff that goes into the case.
If any of that isn't right, you know what will happen because it has already.

5 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

You have to be sure the screws match the standoffs and the standoff themselves will work in the case.
The screws AND standoffs should screw in and hold with your fingers and if they do you can use them but if not you'll have this same problem again.
Try the standoff first to the case - If they screw in and feel right then try a screw by finger as well for the same thing to the standoff with the standoff NOT in the case to see if the screw matches the standoff.

It's a matter of the correct screw size, thread pitch of the screws and the threaded part of the standoff that goes into the case.
If any of that isn't right, you know what will happen because it has already.

They don’t work, they’re too small, so what do I do ? I use the broken standoff so that the MB doesn’t short-cut, and I just don’t put any screws in ? 

No - That standoff is done as in ruined.
Toss it.

You can use the others as long as they are OK, work in the case and be sure their screws match them as said, if not you'll be where you were again.
If you don't have proper the standoffs you're in a fix but it's possible to find and order some online for your case.
Be sure to go by the make/model of your case for these  - NOT the board.

Also be sure to set the standoffs in the case so they line up with the mounting holes that have the metal rings in your board.

3 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

No - That standoff is done as in ruined.
Toss it.

You can use the others as long as they are OK and be sure their screws match them as said, if not you'll be where you were again.

Also be sure to set the standoffs in so they line up with the mounting holes that have the metal rings in your board.

Ok, so I just use 7 out of 9 standoffs ? And i put them so that the card doesn’t fold or else, am I right ? The spare standoffs I has are not matching the screws nor the case, so I just have 7 valid standoffs 

Just now, Justsomeonewho said:

Ok, so I just use 7 out of 9 standoffs ? And i put them so that the card doesn’t fold or else, am I right ?

Yes, 7 will work fine as long as those aren't messed up themselves.
Be sure to check their screws to their standoffs before attempting to install the standoffs in the case.