APC Backup 1000 battery replacements (12V Lead Acid)

mr cheese

Looking for some answers regarding a new battery for an APC UPS, but unsure what sub-forum to post in. Anyone know? 

I've got an APC Backup 1000 and pulled the battery out of it as they died to age. I don't remember what specifically was in there but I do know it was literally 2 12V Lead Acid batteries taped together by a label with some power cables joining the two (I kept these, and the piece of plastic between them. Anyways, it's time to get it back up and running now that my home network is nearing completion and payday is coming around, wanted to get some ideas for good 12V battery replacements. I've heard people throw around the idea of LiFePo but I don't know anything about that or if they would work better. 

The batteries were in your "standard" 12V 7Ah form factor (see below for an example) but I know on Amazon some definitely-not-shady sellers offer higher capacity batteries at competitive prices I'd be willing to go in on to keep the power on for a bit longer. I don't have an idea of budget, just trying to go for longevity while the power's out to see if I can make the most of the UPS I already have (got it for free)

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

Power Supplies 🙂

I have moved this thread to it so you can ask away.

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, Skiiwee29 said:

Power Supplies 🙂

I have moved this thread to it so you can ask away.

Thanks so much! Figured it would be here but wasn't sure 😅

I'll edit the question

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

lifepo4 is great but can sometimes be incompatible. You need to ensure the battery was made properly with balance circuitry and a upper voltage cutoff ideally. 
UPSs are kind of low tech when it comes to charging, and could potentially just die when faced with the far lower internal resistance of a discharged lifepo4 pack. They could also potentially fail in a terrible way that effectively breaks the voltage reg and will overcharge the cells. 
The safest answer is to just continue using lead acid, but I put lifepo4 in a ups and it's been going without issue for 3 years so far. outlasting lead acid already.

tl;dr if you use lifepo4 packs then do a couple of charge discharge cycles before you set it free in your house unmonitored and use quality packs or test for overvoltage protection

16 minutes ago, OhYou_ said:

tl;dr if you use lifepo4 packs then do a couple of charge discharge cycles before you set it free in your house unmonitored and use quality packs or test for overvoltage protection

Noted, didn't know SLA batteries were so short-lived! I'll probably try out LiFePo just bc I don't intend to really upgrade this UPS any time soon, any good picks for chargers and/or battery brands if you know any? Also, do you recon if I can get a higher Ah capacity battery in the same form-factor as the 12v 7Ah if it'll make the UPS shit itself (if this kind of mystical battery does exist, i seem to remember it in my head but have no idea)

the brand I used in mine were expertpower brand. I tore one down for a different project and they do contain a proper bms. I didnt test it for overvoltage prot though. 

they will always be a bit more capacity than the lead acid equivalent size because they have better energy density. it wont hurt anything. just alway rember that lifepo4 has a voltage cap of 3.65v but more ideally 3.5v as the last bit is like 1-2% of capacity. so your UPS float voltage should be 14v ideal, 14.6 maximum. 
You absolutely should measure this after it is charged and after 24 hours, it is pretty important or the batteries will not last very long.