Samsung 34" Odyssey G5 WQHD refresh rate issues

Rob Matthews
Go to solution Solved by Rob Matthews,
On 2/5/2023 at 2:04 AM, CommanderAlex said:

That could definitely be the issue. I know the monitors I've purchased came with HDMI/DisplayPort cables so I've never had this issue before.

Definitely though, the cable can have an effect if it only supports an older version.

All fixed, got an 8K cable, only 1m long too and now the monitor flies along at 165hz. 

I need help with my monitor, I have had it for a while and just remembered it has a great refresh rate.  My problem is windows only allows me to set it to 60hz.  I found online that you need to set the refresh rate on the monitor itself, so i went to do that and it only gives me an option of 100hz.

I am running a GTX 3070 8mb card, so I assume its good enough.  

Does the cable make a difference to the refresh rate?  HDMI / Display port etc.  

39 minutes ago, Rob Matthews said:

Does the cable make a difference to the refresh rate?  HDMI / Display port etc.  

Yes, HDMI or DisplayPort has their own versions that support a maximum refresh rate and resolution. 

You may have to try DisplayPort as it sounds like you're using HDMI.

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

currently at work so will have a look what I'm using when i get home - I have a 2nd monitor and I "think" one is DP, the other HDMI, if the 34" is HDMI then i'll swap the cables and see what that does. Thanks

8 minutes ago, Rob Matthews said:

currently at work so will have a look what I'm using when i get home - I have a 2nd monitor and I "think" one is DP, the other HDMI, if the 34" is HDMI then i'll swap the cables and see what that does. Thanks

No problem. Just be sure to use the quote button in the bottom left corner of a post so those that replied can see you replied back. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

On 2/3/2023 at 11:05 PM, CommanderAlex said:

No problem. Just be sure to use the quote button in the bottom left corner of a post so those that replied can see you replied back. 

I think I solved it - i'm using a cheap display port cable so it doesn't support the higher freq at the superwide resolution.  New cable ordered 1.4 so will see tomorrow if it works

23 minutes ago, Rob Matthews said:

I think I solved it - i'm using a cheap display port cable so it doesn't support the higher freq at the superwide resolution.  New cable ordered 1.4 so will see tomorrow if it works

That could definitely be the issue. I know the monitors I've purchased came with HDMI/DisplayPort cables so I've never had this issue before.

Definitely though, the cable can have an effect if it only supports an older version.

On 2/5/2023 at 2:04 AM, CommanderAlex said:

All fixed, got an 8K cable, only 1m long too and now the monitor flies along at 165hz.