How do I setup 2 HDDs as a backup RAID array in my current rig?

Hi all,

I've had my system running for about a year now and I wanted to set up a RAID array as a long term backup solution. I'm mainly wondering if I should be setting this up through BIOS or if there is a way in Windows to do this better.

My MOBO is a Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite ax DDR4. I have 2 8TB Exos HDDs that I've got mounted in my case but have not plugged in yet. The MB manual shows how to set up the RAID, however it does so on a system that has no operating system. I'm worried that enabling the options mentioned might somehow wonk out my currently running system that uses a few NVME SSDs for everything.

Is the BIOS the way to go, then set up a backup function in Windows to backup to that drive? Or is there a better way to just plug the drives in, boot, then configure everything in Windows?

Please let me know, Thanks ahead of time!

-GokuGogo

12 minutes ago, GokuGogo said:

Hi all,

I've had my system running for about a year now and I wanted to set up a RAID array as a long term backup solution. I'm mainly wondering if I should be setting this up through BIOS or if there is a way in Windows to do this better.

My MOBO is a Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite ax DDR4. I have 2 8TB Exos HDDs that I've got mounted in my case but have not plugged in yet. The MB manual shows how to set up the RAID, however it does so on a system that has no operating system. I'm worried that enabling the options mentioned might somehow wonk out my currently running system that uses a few NVME SSDs for everything.

Is the BIOS the way to go, then set up a backup function in Windows to backup to that drive? Or is there a better way to just plug the drives in, boot, then configure everything in Windows?

Please let me know, Thanks ahead of time!

-GokuGogo

I would do it windows with windows storage spaces. You can set up a mirrored pair of drives in there, and that way it is totally separate from your mobo and SATA controller. If you end up changing mobo’s, it won’t have any impact on the array being able to be read by a new/different machine since it’s all software handled by windows. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

28 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

I would do it windows with windows storage spaces. You can set up a mirrored pair of drives in there, and that way it is totally separate from your mobo and SATA controller. If you end up changing mobo’s, it won’t have any impact on the array being able to be read by a new/different machine since it’s all software handled by windows. 

That sounds fantastic, I was thinking about upgrading down the line and giving my Mobo and CPU to my brother. This seems perfect. Thanks!

Note that RAID is NOT a backup. It only protects against outright drive failure, which is only one of the many ways you can lose data, and a lesser frequent one at that.

See it as a way to "not interrupt your work if a drive fails", i.e. increasing availability but not backup/data safety.

Backup should be separate.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

8 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Note that RAID is NOT a backup. It only protects against outright drive failure, which is only one of the many ways you can lose data, and a lesser frequent one at that.

See it as a way to "not interrupt your work if a drive fails", i.e. increasing availability but not backup/data safety.

Backup should be separate.

This…

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

@Kilrah@LIGISTX I'm using the RAID drive AS a backup. I have my BOOT and accessory drives separate. So I have two copies of my data, one of which (the RAID array) has the ability to experience a drive failure without losing a copy. Am I missing something? Sorry if I was unclear.

What if your PC gets destroyed by a power surge, flood, fire? What if you get hit by a virus/ransomware? Having both copies in the same machine and online at the same time they're always at risk of being hit together. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

7 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

What if your PC gets destroyed by a power surge, flood, fire? What if you get hit by a virus/ransomware? Having both copies in the same machine and online at the same time they're always at risk of being hit together. 

Fair point! An external NAS was next on my list and/or a cloud storage provider. Unfortunately I have a bandwidth cap so even with a cloud provider it would take me 4 months to back everything up if my household used zero internet otherwise. As of now, I keep a copy of my most important files on my laptop, my MacBook storage RAID array, my PC, some on a portable SSD, and now the PC RAID drive. Until I move or get a bomb-ass job after I graduate, this'll have to do for now.

I appreciate the advice on my current shortfalls! I'm falling down the tech rabbit-hole by the day so my goal is to be ultimately redundant with backups for my whole family at some point. I'm just outta cash. I only mounted the RAID drive into my PC cause I didn't have enough to get a decent external enclosure AND enough storage to last me the next two or three years.

What do you think would be the best next step for backing things up? I'd guess either cloud or a NAS server at a family members house to make it off site.

Thanks!

I currently have a NAS at home that handles the main backup, and an external drive that is stored at a friend's as offsite that I bring back every week or so to update.

Used to be 2 externals that were rotated but figured I could turn one into a NAS to that the main backup could be automated multiple times per day and versioned. 

F@H

GPD Win 2

11 hours ago, Kilrah said:

I currently have a NAS at home that handles the main backup, and an external drive that is stored at a friend's as offsite that I bring back every week or so to update.

Used to be 2 externals that were rotated but figured I could turn one into a NAS to that the main backup could be automated multiple times per day and versioned. 

Awesome! Sounds like I have a solid roadmap for the future, thanks for the advice!