Productivity monitor setup recommendation. Ultrawide, dual, huge, tall?

mystvean

I am currently using 2x27" dell ultrasharp monitors (2713H & 2715HM) at 1440p + 1x1080p 24" monitor for clients facing away from me which I can move to my side if I need extra space. The 2x27 are on a monitor stand side by side and Iooking straight to the bezel. I have been using multi monitor setup since 2007, started with laptop, migrated to two 24" before settling to 2"27" in 2015.

I noticed that sitting in the centre is not really ideal position and I will migrate to one monitor sitting at a of centre position on my 5x2 foot table.

95% of the time, I use Microsoft office. The other 5% are photoshop, 3d software and premier pro/rush. I also use 3 to 4 Windows most of the time clipped to the edges. So 1 27" screen will have two windows opened. Word, pdf, mendeley, Web browser. I also use webex, zoom, teams and need to use attend/give talks online.

I need to upgrade my setup as having half of the monitor with word while working, is not really ideal as I make word 3/4 of the screen just to see all the ribbons on top. If I enlarge word completely, then I loose 4 working spaces for 3 spaces. If I read pdf, I tend to rotate the monitor vertically just to see the entire of the pdf. On a 27"

I also saw this, but still not sure which setup yet.

Now, which kind of setup will work well for office use?

1. 1 huge 4k monitor so that I can have compartment for all windows? Bigger screen, means I can compartments more, thought I am not sure if I will use the top left and right since this is far from my vision. I will populate these regions with rainlendar calendar and icons or whatever I rarely use. Will pair this with a 1080p monitor for webex/ppt scaling and sharing desktop. Technically more than 4 working areas, though not sure on what is the best size for this monitor. How big should it be? Kind of like having two ultrawides stacked on top of each other? 

2. 49" ultrawide replacing 2x27" monitor... But I will loose the vertical aspect ratio when I need to read documents. I have 4 working areas.

3. 34" 21:9 (3/4 of the 49" ultrawide) + one monitor on top of the ultrawide. I can technically view portrait documents but with a bezel in between. The 2nd monitor will be used for webex and ppt when necessary. Also 4 working areas. Will need another monitor for webex/ppt thing.

4. 16:18 aspect ratio. Either 2x27 on top or LG Dualup monitor. Will also pair with a 16:9 monitor for the webex/ppt thing. The 16:9 by default will be vertically oriented as the LG is already tall.

I also used this website to calculate the screens, but still not sure on the setup.

So, which one and why? Can share your experience?

52 minutes ago, mystvean said:

I am currently using 2x27" dell ultrasharp monitors (2713H & 2715HM) at 1440p + 1x1080p 24" monitor for clients facing away from me which I can move to my side if I need extra space. The 2x27 are on a monitor stand side by side and Iooking straight to the bezel. I have been using multi monitor setup since 2007, started with laptop, migrated to two 24" before settling to 2"27" in 2015.

I noticed that sitting in the centre is not really ideal position and I will migrate to one monitor sitting at a of centre position on my 5x2 foot table.

95% of the time, I use Microsoft office. The other 5% are photoshop, 3d software and premier pro/rush. I also use 3 to 4 Windows most of the time clipped to the edges. So 1 27" screen will have two windows opened. Word, pdf, mendeley, Web browser. I also use webex, zoom, teams and need to use attend/give talks online.

I need to upgrade my setup as having half of the monitor with word while working, is not really ideal as I make word 3/4 of the screen just to see all the ribbons on top. If I enlarge word completely, then I loose 4 working spaces for 3 spaces. If I read pdf, I tend to rotate the monitor vertically just to see the entire of the pdf. On a 27"

I also saw this, but still not sure which setup yet.

Now, which kind of setup will work well for office use?

1. 1 huge 4k monitor so that I can have compartment for all windows? Bigger screen, means I can compartments more, thought I am not sure if I will use the top left and right since this is far from my vision. I will populate these regions with rainlendar calendar and icons or whatever I rarely use. Will pair this with a 1080p monitor for webex/ppt scaling and sharing desktop. Technically more than 4 working areas, though not sure on what is the best size for this monitor. How big should it be? Kind of like having two ultrawides stacked on top of each other? 

2. 49" ultrawide replacing 2x27" monitor... But I will loose the vertical aspect ratio when I need to read documents. I have 4 working areas.

3. 34" 21:9 (3/4 of the 49" ultrawide) + one monitor on top of the ultrawide. I can technically view portrait documents but with a bezel in between. The 2nd monitor will be used for webex and ppt when necessary. Also 4 working areas. Will need another monitor for webex/ppt thing.

4. 16:18 aspect ratio. Either 2x27 on top or LG Dualup monitor. Will also pair with a 16:9 monitor for the webex/ppt thing. The 16:9 by default will be vertically oriented as the LG is already tall.

I also used this website to calculate the screens, but still not sure on the setup.

So, which one and why? Can share your experience?

I like combining 1 and 2 there’s a big (40+”) 4k for relatively cheap (for a 4k) that’s available.  I don’t know how well it vesas though.  Monitor weight may or may not matter as well. I don’t know how that much height will affect you interposing the thing between you and the client though.  One somewhat evil thought is activating the webcam on it (if it has one) and watching the client on the little montitor. You can see them but they can’t see you.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

my ideal setup is 3 monitors.

Main monitor is 27 or 32 at 4k, with 2 19-22 inch cheap side monitor at 1080p (vertical).

dont get anything higher than 32 inch (which i still considered too big), unless ultrawide.

also forget about the idea that a huge tv can display multiple windows at once, it's cumbersome and unpractical really.

if you still consider that option, try monitors / tv with onboard screen splitter (pip / split screen).

if you're a fast multitasker, having to split windows on 3 different physical screen is faster and more intuitive.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

I like combining 1 and 2 there’s a big (40+”) 4k for relatively cheap (for a 4k) that’s available.  I don’t know how well it vesas though.  Monitor weight may or may not matter as well. I don’t know how that much height will affect you interposing the thing between you and the client though.  One somewhat evil thought is activating the webcam on it (if it has one) and watching the client on the little montitor. You can see them but they can’t see you.

Clients come to the office and I duplicate one of the screens. Webcam will not work. I hate having themselves comes into my workspace. 

1 hour ago, SupaKomputa said:

my ideal setup is 3 monitors.

Main monitor is 27 or 32 at 4k, with 2 19-22 inch cheap side monitor at 1080p (vertical).

dont get anything higher than 32 inch (which i still considered too big), unless ultrawide.

also forget about the idea that a huge tv can display multiple windows at once, it's cumbersome and unpractical really.

if you still consider that option, try monitors / tv with onboard screen splitter (pip / split screen).

if you're a fast multitasker, having to split windows on 3 different physical screen is faster and more intuitive.

I see. So I guess it's more like the xiaomi 34"ultrawide + one monitor then. 

10 minutes ago, mystvean said:

Clients come to the office and I duplicate one of the screens. Webcam will not work. I hate having themselves comes into my workspace. 

Lol.  Fair enough.  I totally get that. Big monitor you won’t have to look at them I guess. Use it like a Roman door shield.  Might even want something with a really low refresh rate and slightly off colors that will give them headaches after a few minutes.  Make them spend less time in there without really knowing why.  Something you wouldn’t want to look at yourself though. Might have a special “eye buster” settings set to flip on and off.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

22 minutes ago, mystvean said:

That's a great monitor if you're okay with the curve.

Alternatively the 27 is also nice.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

3 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Lol.  Fair enough.  I totally get that. Big monitor you won’t have to look at them I guess. Use it like a Roman door shield.  Might even want something with a really low refresh rate and slightly off colors that will give them headaches after a few minutes.  Make them spend less time in there without really knowing why.  Something you wouldn’t want to look at yourself though. Might have a special “eye buster” settings set to flip on and off.

If I do that, I will loose potential business 😁

3 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

That's a great monitor if you're okay with the curve.

Alternatively the 27 is also nice.

Never used a curved monitor before. I guess the 34" is better as I can zoom out of a word/pdf document and it still appears as one a4 page and I can read due to the size.