MSI RX5700 fans/sensor issue

Milinko01

I was playing with some AI video upscaling and I noticed my GPU was getting toasty (85c and 100c+ junction) so I decided I would bump up the fan speed, Upon setting the speed to 100% my fans stopped entirely and the temps began rising fast (hit 91c and 112c junction) so I had to stop the upscaler and lost 90min of work unfortunately.

Now I cant seem to get the fans to run past 50% or they just stop and the RPM sensor is reading seemingly random values that are WAY outside the normal range with hwinfo showing MIN 209RPM up to a MAX 61,325RPM. No other issues such as artifacts, glitches or strange noises and the system hasn't crashed either. Naturally I gave her the old turn it off and then on again but to no avail, Everything should be up to date as far as software goes but I haven't messed with BIOS recently as until today I hadn't noticed any problems.

I've looked around via google and cant seem to find any info pertaining to this type of issue outside of "try a different card" and "DDU and fresh install".

Before I dive into countless hours of troubleshooting I figured I would ask the collective, is this possible GPU damage or are these the death throws of dying fans?

I've used this card for mining in the past so the fans have seen ALOT of 100% use and she has been plenty warm in the past too, the cooler/DRAM configuration leaves a lot to be desired with at least 2 chips only getting maybe 50% heatsink coverage and the other half just gets the thermal pad and open air, that being said I have upgraded the thermal pads to thermalright extreme odyssey and made sure that each chip got 100% pad coverage even if the cooler wasn't going too.

I've dealt with dead fans on plenty of other cards but I don't recall ever seeing the RPM sensor read anything THIS crazy because of it, usually just trying to ramp up then stalling or not even running.

I've taken screenshots of hwinfo which show you my system specs and sensor info hope its enough.

Anything helps, Thanks in advance.

Screenshot 2023-02-02 035131.png

Screenshot 2023-02-02 035320.png

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra - Ryzen 5600X - MSI RX5700 Mech OC - Corsair Vengeance pro 32GB 3200Mhz - Dual Alienware 2720HF 27" 240hz

Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix - EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w 80+ Gold - Phanteks Eclipse P500a case

Samsung 980 PRO 1tb NVMe (boot drive) - Samsung 870 Evo 1tb SSD - Seagate BarraCuda 8tb HDD - Western Digital Blue 2tb HDD

You seem confident enough to tinker a bit with GPU's. And tbh, all these numbers just confuzzle me. Trouble shooting this thing would be too annoying to ME. But I do know what I PERSONALLY would look into, which might be a valid option for you too.

Disconnect the fan headers from the GPU. Give them a good cleaning and rinse them off. Let them dry properly (obviously). (done these steps many times, never had any issues, got back some life and reduced noises) After that, remove the fan headers. Get some random other normal case fan from storage, and remove their wires. Solder those new wires with regular 3-pin connector onto your GPU fans, and plug those GPU fans straight into the mobo. Adjust those fan curves according to your liking.

That's a great idea, graphically the card is working fine (for the moment lol) I was considering the cost benefit to just water-cooling it or upgrading instead but jerry rigging the fans to the motherboard is WAY more cost efficient and could net me more time to save for an upgrade.

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra - Ryzen 5600X - MSI RX5700 Mech OC - Corsair Vengeance pro 32GB 3200Mhz - Dual Alienware 2720HF 27" 240hz

Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix - EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w 80+ Gold - Phanteks Eclipse P500a case

Samsung 980 PRO 1tb NVMe (boot drive) - Samsung 870 Evo 1tb SSD - Seagate BarraCuda 8tb HDD - Western Digital Blue 2tb HDD

24 minutes ago, Budget DIY said:

what I PERSONALLY would look into

I would consider just de-shrouding the GPU at that point, get some 120mm fans on there. Ya don't need to fuss about with soldering either that way.

Trans Rights!
Please tag me or use the "reply" function so I get a notification

I will find your Laptop thread and I will recommend an ITX build instead

Sure would be neat if there was something useful here, eh?