Help, what type of NAND is this?

K.a.l
Go to solution Solved by Kilrah,
11 minutes ago, kale3000 said:

and most importantly, whats the total TBW of it

You can't get TBW from the memory itself, only from the whole device since what makes everything is how the controller handles wear leveling (MLC/TLC etc is alos a function of the controller). So you'd have to look at the specs of the drive itself.

Also TBW numbers are extremely rough estimations that don't really matter. Know some people who have exceeded the rated TBW by 10 times on some drives and they still work fine.

Every storage device should be treated as potentially failing at any time, so have them properly backed up and use them until they throw serious self-test warnings, fail, or become impractically slow.

so i hv this old Sandisk Readycache 32GB SSD that ive been using until now. Im a sucker for tech stuff so i just wanna know what kind of NAND is this? slc? MLC? or TLC?

it has 4 chips on it . And i think one NAND chip is around 8GB (8×4=32GB) .

that photo isnt of my ssd but its same as that

my NAND chip has these numbers on it

P320050581

SDTNPMAHEM-008G

WSD5020199SS

TAIWAN

(Google corrects that its SDTNPNAHEM-008G . maybe i hv a typo in my readings. )

i just want to know what NAND is this. and most importantly, whats the total TBW of it... i need to know when it'll stop writing more on it:) .

sandisk 32gb.jpg

11 minutes ago, kale3000 said:

and most importantly, whats the total TBW of it

You can't get TBW from the memory itself, only from the whole device since what makes everything is how the controller handles wear leveling (MLC/TLC etc is alos a function of the controller). So you'd have to look at the specs of the drive itself.

Also TBW numbers are extremely rough estimations that don't really matter. Know some people who have exceeded the rated TBW by 10 times on some drives and they still work fine.

Every storage device should be treated as potentially failing at any time, so have them properly backed up and use them until they throw serious self-test warnings, fail, or become impractically slow.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

thanks for the response. 

Yes i couldnt see the numbers on the controller. can u find any page where i can see the specs of this ssd? seems like its wiped from the internet.. : (

i wanna see some pdf or anything like a datasheet of it..  if u can find it.. please do share link with me:)

Found a couple but it looks like this thing is from 2012, TBW wasn't even a thing for which ratings were usually given yet.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

It's most likely MLC made on 24nm process by Toshiba  ... Sandisk collaborated with Toshiba and usually got their nand only from them) 

Something comparable would probably be the old Sandisk X300 series : http://downloads.sandisk.com/downloads/datasheet/x300s-datasheet.pdf

They rated the 64 GB version of that SSD for at least 40 TB writes, so I'd say you can expect at least 15 TB or so of writes on that 32 GB thing you have.

But really, how much will depend on the controller used and the firmware used (because it's ReadyCache which hints the firmware may be more optimized towards reading data fast, and less writes)

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/2/2023 at 4:03 PM, Kilrah said:

Found a couple but it looks like this thing is from 2012, TBW wasn't even a thing for which ratings were usually given yet.

yeah. i m just a sucker for tinkering with pc stuff.. it was laying around so i wanted to push it limits... thanks for the info my friend... im glad nand flash is cheaper now... 

On 2/2/2023 at 4:10 PM, johnno23 said:

https://www.jotrin.com/product/parts/SDTNPNAHEM_008G

I did find an older website where the use of Nand was not yet supported but it was reffering to the cssd chips used for cameras etc...too old to be relevant i think

finding ancient stuff is really hard isnt it ? thanks buddy. 

On 2/2/2023 at 4:46 PM, mariushm said:

It's most likely MLC made on 24nm process by Toshiba  ... Sandisk collaborated with Toshiba and usually got their nand only from them) 

Something comparable would probably be the old Sandisk X300 series : http://downloads.sandisk.com/downloads/datasheet/x300s-datasheet.pdf

They rated the 64 GB version of that SSD for at least 40 TB writes, so I'd say you can expect at least 15 TB or so of writes on that 32 GB thing you have.

But really, how much will depend on the controller used and the firmware used (because it's ReadyCache which hints the firmware may be more optimized towards reading data fast, and less writes)

haha "that thing" huh.. that one was funny... i like it... its a really weird thing in my eyes too... i guess it'll go for 15tbw or something cuz its health is 97% with total writes of around 1500GB.....