The God of Impractical Laptops - Dell XPS m2010

James

There are many impractical laptops out there.. but at a whopping 21 pounds (9.5kg) the Dell XPS m2010 might be the most impractical laptop ever built.

if its not much to ask,could linus hook up any external gpu and see what that laptop  really can do if its orginal gpu is not limiting its performance.

2 minutes ago, aqarwaen29 said:

if its not much to ask,could linus hook up any external gpu and see what that laptop  really can do if its orginal gpu is not limiting its performance.

I'm sure someone will correct me with some weird edge-case product, but practically speaking that requires modern thunderbolt which this won't have.

23 minutes ago, aqarwaen29 said:

and i forget to add and ssd,i mean hdd can slow bit down

do the bios and hardware support it ?

I loved Alex's reaction to discovering the chipset's socketed lmao

R7 7700 | RTX 4060 8GB | 32GB DDR5 | 2TB NVME

i7-4790S | RTX A2000 6GB | 16GB DDR3 | 1TB SSD+HDD

image.png.a2011a7e7538edfe3e86a4484128cb55.png

I like bolo 😋

Also, this laptop make me curious: if Dell make it this big enough, why not just put regular desktop parts too? 🤔

Like this ITX Core 2 Duo board:

Placa-mãe mini-ITX - LV-674 - BVM - Intel® Core™ 2 Duo / Intel 945G / DDR2

Made In Brazil 🇧🇷

23 minutes ago, themrsbusta said:

why not just put regular desktop parts too?

Possibly because this was from 2006, and that wasn't really a thing yet.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I really do wish they had laptops with 22-24+ inch screens.  As long as it is under 20lbs and in 1 piece it's just as portable as any other laptop.  

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

Well that's interesting! I have a similar vintage Dell XPS M1710 (and a Dell Precision M90, which is basically the professional version of the same platform), and the graphics cards are the same form factor as this. You could load this up with a Quadro FX 3500M if you wanted (or a GeForce 7950GTX, although they're basically the same). What's more, via Windows Update, there is a proper Windows 7 driver for it which even works in Windows 11. Yes, seriously. Thankfully Dell/NVIDIA did release updated drivers, because you will not find them online at all. The laptop uses the same 130W power brick. Weirdly the laptop has a better resolution 1920x1200 display which was incredible for the time. I can only assume they couldn't get a 1920x1200 20.1" panel for the M2010, hence the lower resolution.

There's actually a good few different GPUs for these things, from a lowly ATi X1300 128MB, through varying levels of NVIDIA GeForce cards to the 7950GTX 512MB. Some of which you could cross flash between GeForce and Quadro BIOSes. The NVIDIA cards were known to cook themselves, but the ATI cards were more reliable. Also, the lower spec cards only have a single right hand heat pipe, whereas the beefier ones have one on the left too.

Secondly, there's a possibility that the BIOS supports overclocking if you install a Core 2 Duo T7600G. The G on the end is very important. That chip can overclock from 2.33GHz to 3.16GHz, via a literal clockspeed slider in the BIOS that adjusts the unlocked multiplier of the chip. It ramps the fans up too. I've attached a screenshot of what the overclocking screen looks like on an XPS M1710.

Finally, that subwoofer is the same as they used in the Precision M90/XPS M1710, and it does even sound good in those too! Windows 8 ran BEAUTIFULLY on this thing. Even better than 7 I'd say. It was usable well into 2013/2014 - I used it when my MacBook was in for repair. It was one of the earlier devices to come fitted with a 802.11n DRAFT spec WiFi card, and with three aerials instead of the usual two. You could spec it with a 320GB WD Black 7200RPM HDD which was pretty speedy for the time.

I created this account to pop a message on here because I usually comment on YouTube but that's about as useful as peeing into the sea.

cpu-oc-lg.jpg

EDIT: I totally forgot to mention - if you're worried about the GPU cooking itself (which happened a lot with the 7950GTXs), use I8KfanGUI - it’s designed specifically for older Dells and you can manually force the fans to run at whatever speed you like and set a custom fan speed curve. I've found a hacky way of installing it without having to disable driver signature enforcement, so it'll work on Vista/7/8/10/11.

Edited by RichardBirch
Typo squashing, more info.

1 hour ago, swimtome said:

I'm sure someone will correct me with some weird edge-case product, but practically speaking that requires modern thunderbolt which this won't have.

You could connect a card via a mini PCI-E to PCI-e riser card, or potentially via the ExpressCard 54 slot which is basically a 1xPCI-E 1.0 slot for mobile use.

LTT should do videos of the other rare 20in displays of the age! I've got a couple myself. If LTT is interested in doing a video of them, I'd be happy to send them up given enough time.

also just uploading pictures because i love sharing cool computers!

20220407_070502.jpg

20220226_144914.jpg

vlcsnap-2021-06-02-13h52m26s633.png

m370.jpg

20220307_182137.jpg

20220926_064213.jpg

20220926_064259.jpg

voodooenvyrestored.jpg

y[e]  |  I am king giraffe. Hail me.  |  I build computers as a hobby and sometimes resell them to make a profit. | Current rig's specs:

OS: Win10 Pro x64 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900XT | MB: ASUS X570 Tuff | RAM: 32gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600mhz | Bootup: Adata 1tb NVME Gen4 | SSD: Intel SSD6 P600 1tb | HDDs: 16tb total | PSU: Seasonic 1200w 80+ Gold | Cooling: Noctua NH-D15 | Case: Voodoo Omen R (yes, THAT Voodoo) | Screen: Acer XF270HU 1440p 144hz FreeSync | total spent: $too much | (lol empty space)

Honestly? You call this form-factor impractical, but I can see someone resurrecting it with modern components to create a truly great "desktop replacement" laptop, especially since modern components are far more compact for their capabilities (and likely a good deal lighter too). You could probably fit a full desktop-grade mITX motherboard in that base unit and get a pretty baller display panel for the top, not to mention the full-size detachable keyboard. And even if you did use laptop-grade components, cooling definitely wouldn't be an issue with all that room to work with. Built right, I imagine it could be highly upgradeable and repairable too; hell, you've got a seat at Framework, so pitch something like this as the "Framework Battlestation" or something since it's pretty reminiscent of the ASUS ROG Mothership.

Actually, considering the ergonomics of the screen, I almost wonder if this would make for a good middle-ground device category between the Surface Studio and Surface Laptop Studio.  On that note, this would have been released around the time the original tabletop Microsoft Surface came around, and you can totally tell with that chrome-and-black styling. God, I love those Vista-era aesthetics~

OWNED CONSOLES [ INTV | NES | SNES | GG | N64 | GBCPS1 | GCN | GBA/GBA SPDC | PS2 | Wii | DS Lite/DSi | Wii U | 3DS/XL/nXL | Switch ] PLANNED ( XSX | Amico ) TV: E420VL + CT-26WX15N

GAMING PC/WORKSTATION [ Aether Case: FD Focus G Mini | CPU: AMD Ryzen 3950X (16c32t @3.5GHz) | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3600MHz | Mobo: Aorus X570 mITX | PSU: SSR-600TL

OS: Win10 Pro | SSD: WD SN750 1TB NVMe | HDD: 4TB WD Black | KB/M: Dell Multimedia USB Hub Keyboard (SK-8135) + Logitech G903 HERO | Display: ASUS VE248H + Dell E177FP | Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB Wireless

HTPC/HOME SERVER [ Phazon Case: Antec 900 Two | CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black (4c4t @3.67GHz) | GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB | RAM: 12GB (2x4GB+2x2GB) DDR3 @1400MHz | Mobo: MSI 870A-G54 | PSU: SSR-450PL

OS: Win10 Pro | SSD: Crucial 240GB SATA | HDD: 8TB HGST Ultrastar + 750GB WD Caviar Green + 200 GB Seagate | KB/M: Microsoft Wireless Entertainment Desktop 7000

1 hour ago, Radium_Angel said:

Possibly because this was from 2006, and that wasn't really a thing yet.

You see the ITX C2D below? is from 2006 too...They could make it.

Made In Brazil 🇧🇷

I actually penned an article back in 2014 about bringing back this notebook concept:

Bringing back the 20 inch notebook

Why these devices were abandoned is obvious given that you couldn't cram desktop components that small (ITX maybe didn't exist when this Dell was sold) and mobile components became way more powerful. I have a Toshiba Qosmio laptop from 2008 that had a quad core CPU in it and THREE graphics cards - already a massive improvement over what the m2010 had.

Yet even back in 2014 when I wrote the above piece it was clear the advantages of going with such a large chassis were obvious. You got better cooling, better audio, more storage options, better graphics, improved productivity, increased battery life, more connectivity etc... And that's all beside the advantages a 4K display and desktop-class performance also would have brought to the table.

Maybe I was bullish thinking these would come back sooner, or just incredibly forward thinking 😎But it's good to know that even in 2023 there is interest in these things. I would gladly like to get my hands on one if these do ever come back in a modern variant. I think of these not as a grab-and-go notebook but more of a desktop/workstation replacement. The kind of portable machine you would ideally complement a far larger quad-GPU custom water cooled beast.

5 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Regarding 4K BD on PC, official support for it on pc is pretty much dead, like “Dead” dead. That’s a thing that went under the radar. 

https://www.cyberlink.com/support/faq-content.do?id=26690

was it not due to odd drm crap.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

It's bigger than that, Chris: it's large. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

I wanted one of these so bad back in HS that I had a printout of some of the product photos on my wall. Kinda glad I skipped it, but given what you guys were able to cram into a play button, I'd love to see what sort of modern components you could fit in that thing. Could be a baller machine if they let Alex tear into it. Watercooled laptop v2 (?), anyone?

Corsair Crystal 280x RGB

Gigabyte B550m Aorus Pro
32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3600

AMD Ryzen 5 5600x

EVGA RTX 2080 Super FTW3

Cooler Master ML240 RGB

1TB M.2 Boot Drive

2 x 4Tb HDD, 7200rpm

32" Ultrawide, 24" secondary monitors

8 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Regarding 4K BD on PC, official support for it on pc is pretty much dead, like “Dead” dead. That’s a thing that went under the radar. 

https://www.cyberlink.com/support/faq-content.do?id=26690

That’s appalling. It’s almost like they’re trying to kill off physical media. Surprised this isn’t bigger news. I know buying media is seemingly a thing of the past, but that’s still shocking. 

10 hours ago, gameboy3800 said:

LTT should do videos of the other rare 20in displays of the age! I've got a couple myself. If LTT is interested in doing a video of them, I'd be happy to send them up given enough time.

also just uploading pictures because i love sharing cool computers!

Sick collection! Didn't know that HP has used the Voodoo logo for all those years under the Omen gaming brand! Voodoo was pretty much dead when computers started getting my interest.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

You really need to try https://www.snappy-driver-installer.org/ for drivers on old (and new) machines. Got pretty much everything aside of a few weird one-offs from XP to today.

Of course the "experience" of having to download and install all the manufacturer drivers one by one is something, but if you just want to get something going...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 hour ago, Kilrah said:

You really need to try https://www.snappy-driver-installer.org/ for drivers on old (and new) machines. Got pretty much everything aside of a few weird one-offs from XP to today.

Of course the "experience" of having to download and install all the manufacturer drivers one by one is something, but if you just want to get something going...

The IT refurbishers I worked at used Snappy often. Audio and graphics drivers were hit-or-miss, and would have to find the drivers to work the extra function keys and buttons that laptops have, but saved a lot of time having it go through everything else in one go, and usually sorts those other mystery components that device manager complains about. Seems a bit sketchy because of all the other "Solve all your problems!" scamware, but it's been very handy.

Could be helpful when next doing videos on old computer curiosities.

☑️ Verified Actual Idiot 

Desktop: CPU AMD R7 3700X | GPU PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 6700 with Noctua fans| RAM 16GB G.Skill DDR4 3600MT/s CL18 | M/B ASUS ROG Strix X470-I | PSU 750W Corsair SF750 | COOLER Cryorig C1 with Noctua NF-A15 | CASE Modified Galaxy III Mid Tower STORAGE 1TB WD SN750 (Windows Boot) + 500GB Samsung 850 EVO (Linux Boot) + 2TB Seagate BarraCuda (Storage) | OS Windows 11 Pro + Linux Mint 21 Cinnamon

Laptop: MODEL HP EliteBook 8470p (Refurb) | CPU Intel i7-3540M | RAM 8GB Samsung DDR3 1600MT/s | STORAGE 240GB Crucial BX500 | OS Windows 11 Pro

Home Server: CPU AMD R5 1600AF | RAM 32GB Corsair DDR4 3200MT/s CL16 | M/B Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI | PSU 600W Corsair SF600 | COOLER Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4 | CASE Fractal Design Node 304 | STORAGE 32GB OCZ Onyx (Boot) + 250GB Crucial MX500 (Apps) + 2x 4TB Seagate IronWolf (Storage) | OS TrueNAS Scale

Mobile Cellphone Telephone: MODEL Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G (Refurb) | CPU Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 5G | RAM 6GB | STORAGE 128GB Internal + 128GB microSD | OS One UI 5.1 / Android 13

Also besides business use (not sure this was really the intended market?) this was peak era of "buy this to replace both your AV gear and computer", hence the very STB-like DVD drive appearance, remote control, good sound, TV tuner /video I/O options... This was supposed to be your home TV/media center when you weren't using it as a computer. Of course it fell flat, but they tried...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2