New build. 4070ti not hitting TDP because of VREL

ajellison83

Hello all.  Built a PC for a friend of mine that consists of an Asus Prime B660M-A motherboard, 12600K, Corsair 850w PSU, Asus 4070ti, and Windows 11.  Got it up and running and went to start tuning it, only to find that it doesn't get near it's rated TDP and the performance is lacking in Furmark and Heaven benchmarks.  The max TDP is around 69%, which is around 200w, instead of 320w.

So far I've tried updating the bios and all drivers, switching the power cables around on the PSU and ensuring all is plugged in appropriately to the 16 pin adapter, and double checking all the settings I can think of in the Nvidia control panel.  Both HwInfo and GPU-Z show a VREL cause of the low performance, and I've yet to find any definitive answer as to a solution on the internet, and figured I'd reach out to the experts.  I've attached the GPU-Z screenshot while running Furmark and was wondering if anyone had any ideas.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PXL_20230131_040012918.jpg

5 minutes ago, ajellison83 said:

Hello all.  Built a PC for a friend of mine that consists of an Asus Prime B660M-A motherboard, 12600K, Corsair 850w PSU, Asus 4070ti, and Windows 11.  Got it up and running and went to start tuning it, only to find that it doesn't get near it's rated TDP and the performance is lacking in Furmark and Heaven benchmarks.  The max TDP is around 69%, which is around 200w, instead of 320w.

So far I've tried updating the bios and all drivers, switching the power cables around on the PSU and ensuring all is plugged in appropriately to the 16 pin adapter, and double checking all the settings I can think of in the Nvidia control panel.  Both HwInfo and GPU-Z show a VREL cause of the low performance, and I've yet to find any definitive answer as to a solution on the internet, and figured I'd reach out to the experts.  I've attached the GPU-Z screenshot while running Furmark and was wondering if anyone had any ideas.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

How does it behave under other workloads?  Furmark is a very specific workload and could hit a limit that say a game will never do.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

10 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

How does it behave under other workloads?  Furmark is a very specific workload and could hit a limit that say a game will never do.

So far I've tried Furmark, Heaven and Valley benchmarks, and the Cyberpunk 2077 benchmark.  All of them have the power limited to around 200 watts with reduced performance.

From a quick google, VRel is Voltage Reliability, means the card cannot boost further with current voltage. Basically, in that specific workload the card hits the voltage limit before power target or thermal limits. IIRC some cards will see a power virus workload like Furmark and throttle the card in order to protect it, could also be that. Try something like Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme preset, any other benchmark that actually simulates a heavy game load, or run an actual in-game benchmark in any title with one to see if it pulls more wattage.

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

2 minutes ago, ajellison83 said:

So far I've tried Furmark, Heaven and Valley benchmarks, and the Cyberpunk 2077 benchmark.  All of them have the power limited to around 200 watts with reduced performance.

I'd try more games, Cyberpunk is probably a bad choice as it may be CPU or memory bandwidth limited.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

19 minutes ago, Zando_ said:

From a quick google, VRel is Voltage Reliability, means the card cannot boost further with current voltage. Basically, in that specific workload the card hits the voltage limit before power target or thermal limits. IIRC some cards will see a power virus workload like Furmark and throttle the card in order to protect it, could also be that. Try something like Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme preset, any other benchmark that actually simulates a heavy game load, or run an actual in-game benchmark in any title with one to see if it pulls more wattage.

For some reason, the Superposition benchmark is downloading extremely slow and said it would take a couple hours to complete.  But the Cyberpunk 2077 benchmark was limited to 200 watts as well, with very reduced performance compared to the 3080ti I have in my setup.  Same story with Elden Ring.  Instead of the 120fps my 3080ti can run it at, this 4070ti is running around 80fps and hovering around 210 watts peak.

19 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I'd try more games, Cyberpunk is probably a bad choice as it may be CPU or memory bandwidth limited.

Just got Elden Ring downloaded, and it's the same.  Reduced performance, and holding steady at just shy of 70% TDP.  No other bottleneck as far as I can tell.

1 minute ago, ajellison83 said:

Just got Elden Ring downloaded, and it's the same.  Reduced performance, and holding steady at just shy of 70% TDP.  No other bottleneck as far as I can tell.

Do you have any vBIOS available for your card? 

Does the GPU has dual BIOS? Quite mode and Performance mode?

If so, make sure that you are not on Quite mode.

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

CPU: Intel i5-12400

GPU: Asus TUF RX 6800 XT OC

Mobo: Asus Prime B660M-A D4 WIFI MSI PRO B760M-A WIFI DDR4

RAM: Team Delta TUF Alliance 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16

SSD: Team MP33 1TB

PSU: MSI MPG A850GF

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A

Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-234 ARGB

Pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wnxDfv
Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

16 minutes ago, Dukesilver27- said:

Does the GPU has dual BIOS? Quite mode and Performance mode?

If so, make sure that you are not on Quite mode.

Sure, would make sense to test, since no one knows what is wrong but these BIOS' usually just change core clock a very little bit and the fan curve. So in theory both BIOS' should not limit the card like this. Still though ,as said, would be fine to test. Could be a bugged BIOS.

6 minutes ago, BetteBalterZen said:

Sure, would make sense to test, since no one knows what goes wrong but these BIOS usually just change core clock a very little bit and the fan curve. So in theory both BIOS' should not limit the card like this. Still though,as said, would be fine to test. Could be a bugged BIOS.

When I first installed the graphics card, I had it in quiet mode, and then switched it over to performance mode when the computer was off when I noticed there was an issue. 

There is a vbios update, but albeit a very slight difference from what I have already installed.  95.04.31.00.7C instead of the 7B that is on here

Just now, ajellison83 said:

When I first installed the graphics card, I had it in quiet mode, and then switched it over to performance mode when the computer was off when I noticed there was an issue. 

There is a vbios update, but albeit a very slight difference from what I have already installed.  95.04.31.00.7C instead of the 7B that is on here

So this voltage cap happened after you switched to performance mode? Have you tried switching it back to see if it fixes the issue? 

Can you read any changes on the vBIOS? 

11 minutes ago, ajellison83 said:

What's cooling the 12600K? If the CPU throttles it might bottleneck the GPU...

M.S.C.E. (M.Sc. Computer Engineering), Senior IT advisor in a hospital, 30 years of gaming, 20 years of computer enthusiasm, Geek, Trekkie, anime fan

• Main PC: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - EK AIO 360 D-RGB - Arctic Cooling MX-4 - Asus Prime X570-P - 4x8GB DDR4 3200 HyperX Fury CL16 - Sapphire AMD Radeon 6950XT Nitro+ - 1TB Kingston Fury Renegade - 2TB Kingston Fury Renegade - 512GB ADATA SU800 - 960GB Kingston A400 - Seasonic PX-850 850W  - custom black ATX and EPS cables - Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout - Windows 11 x64 23H2 - 3 Arctic Cooling P14 PWM PST - 5 Arctic Cooling P12 PWM PST
  • Peripherals: LG 32GK650F - Philips 226VL - Logitech G Pro X Superlight with Tiger Ice - HyperX Alloy Origins Core (TKL) - EndGame Gear MPC890 - Genius HF 1250B - Akliam PD4 - Sennheiser HD 560s - Simgot EM6L - Truthear Zero - QKZ x HBB - 7Hz Salnotes Zero - Logitech C270 - Behringer PS400 - BM700  - Colormunki Smile - Speedlink Torid - Jysk Stenderup - LG 24x External DVD writer - Konig smart card reader
  • Laptop: Acer E5–575G-386R 15.6" 1080p (i3 6100U + 12GB DDR4 (4GB+8GB) + GeForce 940MX + 256GB nVME) Win 10 Pro x64 22H2 - Logitech G305 + AAA Lithium battery
  • Networking: Asus TUF Gaming AX6000 - Arcadyan ISP router - 35/7 Mbps vDSL
  • TV and gadgets: TCL 50EP680 50" 4K LED + Sharp HT-SB100 75W RMS soundbar - Samsung Galaxy Tab A8 10.1" - OnePlus 9 256GB - Olymous Cameda C-160 - GameBoy Color 
  • Streaming/Server/Storage PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 - LC-Power LC-CC-120 - MSI B450 Tomahawk Max - 2x4GB ADATA 2666 DDR4 - 120GB Kingston V300 - Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB - Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB - 2x WD Green 2TB - Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon R9 380X - 550W EVGA G3 SuperNova - Chieftec Giga DF-01B - Logitech G710+ - Roccat Kone Pure Military Desert strike - Logitech S-220

13 minutes ago, BetteBalterZen said:

So this voltage cap happened after you switched to performance mode? Have you tried switching it back to see if it fixes the issue? 

Can you read any changes on the vBIOS? 

Couldn't find the changes for the vBios anywhere on the internet.  Tried a fresh install with DDU with the most current Nvidia driver, but saw on the Asus site that there is what appears to be an older version of the driver that I'm going to give a try once it is done slowly downloading.

6 minutes ago, 191x7 said:

What's cooling the 12600K? If the CPU throttles it might bottleneck the GPU...

A Noctua cooler that stays below 80 degrees when running prime95 under full boost

10 minutes ago, ajellison83 said:

A Noctua cooler that stays below 80 degrees when running prime95 under full boost

Have you double checked the PCIe power cables are plugged in securely?  I can't really compare as I went straight for a Corsair 12v HPWR cable, rather than using the horrible adapter.

Out of curiosity, have you tried running the Overclocking scanner in MSI Afterburner?  It takes quite a while, I think it was 45 minutes for me, but it tweaks the voltage/clock curve to try to maintain higher clocks.

I did both these things before even trying to use my card, which ironically is the cheapest Zotac I could find.

1 hour ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Have you double checked the PCIe power cables are plugged in securely?  I can't really compare as I went straight for a Corsair 12v HPWR cable, rather than using the horrible adapter.

Out of curiosity, have you tried running the Overclocking scanner in MSI Afterburner?  It takes quite a while, I think it was 45 minutes for me, but it tweaks the voltage/clock curve to try to maintain higher clocks.

I did both these things before even trying to use my card, which ironically is the cheapest Zotac I could find.

The power cable is plugged in securely.  I swapped it out with the 3080ti in my computer and did a fresh install with DDU, and got the same result.  Barely gets above 200w and has noticably less performance than my 3080ti.  I'm inclined to believe it's a defective card.  I sent an email off to see if I can return it, or if I need to try for an RMA with Asus.  Thanks for all the ideas though.  Much appreciate it.