Would modified drivers to enable DirectX raytracing on the GTX 1050Ti be possible?

JamesnLollify

So we all know the 6GB 1060 and better got software RTX support a little while ago. If it were possible, could drivers that allowed the same on the 1050Ti exist?

14 minutes ago, JamesnLollify said:

So we all know the 6GB 1060 and better got software RTX support a little while ago. If it were possible, could drivers that allowed the same on the 1050Ti exist?

https://www.pcgamesn.com/nvidia/gtx-1060-6gb-1660-directx-raytracing-performance-benchmarks

If this is the 1060 performance, I shudder to think of what the 1050 ti would do...

1 hour ago, JamesnLollify said:

Are you joking? Please tell me this is a joke. At 1-2 frames per second, you're not playing a game, you're watching a slide show.

No, the entire reason "software raytracing" exists in some capacity is because AMD GPU/iGPU and Intel GPU/iGPU's exist. Turning raytracing on, in most games comes at a substantial performance penalty, and the reason "RTX" is a thing at all has a lot to do with separate hardware on the device to handle it that has been scaled linearly with the GPU capability.

At some point it becomes "I get faster ray tracing with POVRay than I do on my actual GPU"

At around RTX 30 series launch, I'm pretty sure I read about some dudes hacking the drivers and making Ray Tracing work on a 1080 but it ran like ****. You seriously need dedicated Ray Tracing hardware, the RT cores fx. 

14 minutes ago, BetteBalterZen said:

At around RTX 30 series launch, I'm pretty sure I read about some dudes hacking the drivers and making Ray Tracing work on a 1080 but it ran like ****. You seriously need dedicated Ray Tracing hardware, the RT cores fx. 

Haha by "some dudes" you mean nvidia developers, right? They were the ones that released the drivers that enabled it.

4 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Haha by "some dudes" you mean nvidia developers, right? They were the ones that released the drivers that enabled it.

Oh really, was it? Haha, well. That part I totally forgot 😅

A GTX 1080Ti gets completely obliterated by enabling RT. If you have a 1050Ti you shouldn't even think such thoughts. While tecnically possible, sure if Nvidia added support in the driver but I find that practically impossible.